Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wild Edibles that actually taste good ??

...and salads or just for munching while in the garden.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My wild edibles are the runnin around kind. I have never developed a taste for veggies, I don't know what it is but I just can't do it. I have been making small steps as I get older. I do sometimes keep a garden for the wife and kids and she has told me the leaf lettuce tastes different from head? lettuce although I don't know if it is actually taste or just the texture. Wild lettuce would be similar to leaf lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by krazykangaroo View Post
    There are a lot of wild edibles here in Aus that taste good but most aren't worth the trouble unless you had no other food.
    You have to remember that wild foods haven't had the centuries of selective breeding to make them taste and grow like our usual garden vegetables and fruit so you can't really compare them.
    Are you kidding? Maybe in Vic...but in central OZ there are tons of tasty wild edibles (and lots more in other areas of OZ from what I've heard) that me, my wife and my in-laws use as a regular food source. They certainly taste much better than garden vegetables...I couldn't compare bland store-bought veggies to honey-ants, witchetty grubs, wild bush tomatoes, bush passionfruit, bush bananas, bush onions, bush orange, quandong, etc...my favorite are the honey-ants...there's lots of tasty edibles in OZ

I like most parts of cattail. Like Jerusalem Artichoke, like day lily tubers, shoots and flowers. LOVE indian cucumber when I can find it. Fiddleheads are good, though I prefer em smothered in butter. Ramps, wild onion and garlic all yummy! Like wintergreen tea but actually can't stand pine needle tea! Queen annes lace (wild carrot) is ok. I love packing a trout (or other fish) with sorrel then wrapping it up and cooking it on the coals! Just a few.

edz

stinging nettle is real tasty to me. And watercress
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

I have heard that May apples are edible. Anybody ever tried them?