Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fire Tinder/Starter Kit

And the next Safeway won't have them. Go figure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ahh...

It's good to be back on here. My computer got a nasty virus and wouldn't do diddly squat. When I find out who started these viruses I'm going to pull their fingernails out very slowly, one by one.

Anyway, My Strike Anywhere Match problem sems to have been solved. I stopped by my father's farm a few weeks ago down in MD and the "farmhand" who lives in a camper on the farm gave me a box and said he could get all I want for 89 cents a box.

Later that week a co-worker of mine here in PA picked up a couple of boxes for about a buck a box @ his favorite smoke shop. I told them each to pick up a case or two if they can.

I have already dipped one box full (250 pcs) in parrafin wax, and another box full in polyurethane. They both work great. If anyone needs any, I may be able to package them securely for safe handling.

I have even thought of trying to find the chemical for the tips (white phosphorus I think)
    and converting regular kitchen matches to strike anywhere.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    LOL INDIANA!!!! Even walmart stopped carrying them,and they carry everything!
    Hey Nell,

Talk about irony. Looking on the box of strike anywhere matches, the Diamond match company is headquartered in none other than Muncie. Go figure.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

I would not mind shipping matches to other folks, I get them for $2.00 a box. So if you want some PM me and we can figgure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Mohican View Post
    Hey Nell,

Talk about irony. Looking on the box of strike anywhere matches, the Diamond match company is headquartered in none other than Muncie. Go figure.
    LOL,Rick is closer to Muncie than I am,and look how much trouble he had getting them!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I could almost walk there. Well, okay, it's on the other side of the couch so I'd probably stop off there first.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well as long as you have the dicipline not to trek too much each day...
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Oh, I'm disciplined. I can not do a lot of things.

I find that the "Stormproof" matches with the magnesium inbedded in them are easier (and more reliable) than the strike anywhere matches.

Easier to find that is. The striker board that comes with them are waterproof also.

But lose the striker and ...... take strike anywhere matches and coat them with paraffin and you have storm matches that will burn longer and are water proof.

Just a note on paraffin or wax covered matches. If you carry a multi-tool that has a file on it, the file makes a great striking surface. You don't even have to remove the wax covering the head. A couple of strikes and you'll have a fire. Try it the next time you are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just a note on paraffin or wax covered matches. If you carry a multi-tool that has a file on it, the file makes a great striking surface. You don't even have to remove the wax covering the head. A couple of strikes and you'll have a fire. Try it the next time you are out.
    Learning alot here and want to say thanks. I will be primitive camping on the 4th. I will try out alot of what I have learned.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Learning is great stuff. It's my life long ambition. Remembering what I've learned is sometimes another story.

My fire lightin kit has half a Done block. ( flint and magnessium block but I cut half the mag. off with a hacksaw. To save space.)
    A tampon,a lipbalm ( open the tampon smear it with lots of petroleum jelly based lipbalm tease out some fully fibers and kit it with a spark ( from the doan block)
    some strips of Bicycle inner tube.
    and an Esbit block.
    all in a Strepisals tin. ( the Australian equivalant of Altoids)
    Carl

I was able to find and buy 4 boxes on ebay. You may want to check them out.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

I just went to ebay, and there are plenty of strike anywhere matches up for sale. One seller has groups of 6 boxes up for $10.00. That is 1500 matches. That doesn't sound like a bad deal.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.