Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Tinder/Starter Kit

Question Fire Tinder/Starter Kit

What type of Fire Tinder/Starter container do you carry and what do you carry in it?

This is my main Fire Tinder/Starter kit, and what I carry in it:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It fits in a pants or shirt pocket easily and has enough material to start many, many fires.

I use the sisal twine tinder in damp conditions (if I can't find any dry tinder), and the manila rope for wet conditions. Works GREAT!!

You can also coat the sisal and manila in petroleum jelly for a longer burn time!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Blog Entries

Talking Yo N.D.!

You're pics are great, really like the labels on everything, it makes it easier to understand what we're looking at! Also great idea on using Sisal and Manila rope for tinder. I've got a length of sisal I didn't know what to do with and you've given me a great idea, thank you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I carry:
    paraffin coated strike anywhere matches
    petroleum soaked cotton balls
    char cloth
    cotton rope tinder tube
    metal match
    BIC lighter
    magnesium fire block

EDIT: forgot my fresnel lens and tea candles.

I don't have one thing I carry them in. Instead, I have multiple ways to start fire in each of my kits from my pocket kit to my backpack.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-22-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carry a hudson bay tobacco tin with a burning glass lense in a leather pouch on my fanny pack : It contains char, chaga,tinder tube, flint n steel ,some shredded red ceder and a birds nest of rope, Also in the pack I have a blastmatch, strike force, cotton balls soaked in petro,more ceder tinder,some estibet tabs, small bottle of sanitizer,and a scout firesteel,couple candles, and waterproof matches oh and I also have a fire piston and a spare burning glass lense.

Blog Entries

Default My fire kit

This is a pic of fire starting kit:
    3 pieces of flint, striker, tin of char cloth, and wad of tow. Never fails, sometimes I add cattail fluff or dried moss with the tow its all held in a deerhide bag.
    Last edited by Beo; 01-22-2008 at 09:53 AM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Thumbs up YW Sarge and other fire starting kits. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ". . .Also great idea on using Sisal and Manila rope for tinder. I've got a length of sisal I didn't know what to do with and you've given me a great idea, thank you!"
    Your most welcome Sarge. I figured giving the descriptions would save people time trying to figure out what they're looking at. Glad the sisal & manila gave you an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ". . .I don't have one thing I carry them in. Instead, I have multiple ways to start fire in each of my kits from my pocket kit to my backpack."
    The fire/tinder kit shown above is just one of three kits that I carry. The tin above fits into a fringed leather pouch I made that fit on my belt.

I have another fringed leather pouch that hangs around my neck, as well as, my 5" dia. 6x mag. lens in my pocket.

And I have the Spark-Light and magnesium fire stick on my neck knife.

Fire makes all the difference in the world, so if for some reason I cannot get a fire going with a fire drill or plough, I have a readily available and reliable way to get one going!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Nativedude, you have it covered!
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Question Anyone. . . ?

No one else has any pics of their fire starting/tinder kits?

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Now we all know steel wool + 9v battery = fire, but one thing I found out today that I think is interesting is that you can start a fire w/ a 9v battery and 2 pocketknives. just touch the blades onto the terminals, and then touch the blades at a point. it creates a spark large enough that can be used to light stuff.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

I carry a small magnifying glass, magnesium fire starter, lighter, trick birthday candles, birch bark 000 steel wool, dryer lint, t-light candles, trioxane fuel blocks, and dried moss.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have read that you can polish the bottom of a soda can w/ 000 steel wool and chocolate and use it as a parabolic mirror to start a fire.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

Voyageur enseignant

Whoa there, AP ... I was not aware that a 9v battery would start my 000 steel wool. Thanks for the tip! I also carry an Altoids tin with a ferro stick/sparker, a 1.5" piece of hacksaw blade for striker, steel wool, a "mini" Bic and a piece of char cloth. Also a piece of 1/2" x 1.5" magnesium rod. If I had more space, I also have a small combination tweezer set/mini magnifying glass I got from Matco Tools for slivers and possible fire starting (I haven't tried this lens yet ... it may be too small). I do know that a shower of sparks from the ferro rod onto the 000 steel wool produces a VERY hot fire starting flame. I think I'll add some waterproof "strikes anywhere" matches whenever I find some hereabouts. Getting harder and harder to find these days. Great ideas, all! NorthWind

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile HighWay Flares

I carry large highway flares, Now there is a match......you don't need wood, it is nice if you have dry wood, but you got half hour of burn time.

I have the flares also,hopeak.

I can't find those darned strike anywhere matches anywhere. I had seen an online cigar shop that sells them and will mail them to you. I can't remember the site right off.

I always use trick birthday candles. They light easily, are hard to put out, and give you about 10 min of burn time. And as an added bonus, they are virtually waterproof.

NWT, I never thought of the tweezer / mag. glass combo. I am going to have to try that out. Thanx.

Talk to Rick,I believe he was finally able to locate them .

Thanks Nell.

I wonder how hard it would be to make your own s a matches. Just a thought.

LM - I purchased mine from Ranger Outfitters. They were by far the cheapest I found on the net. I looked at about a dozen or so stores locally and even contacted the company and spoke with the President of Sales (diamondbrands.com) but could not find them. I had to purchase on the net. Once I finally acquired them, I took paraffin wax, melted a small piece (about 2" X 2") in a small glass pyrex measuring cup with spout inside the microwave (that bad boy is going to be hot! so be careful). I dipped the matches in the paraffin and let them dry on aluminum foil. Presto! instant storm proof matches. The paraffin also extends the burn time on the match acting much like a candle. If you have paraffin left over just let it harden, warm the bottom of the measuring cup with warm water and the paraffin will come out in a block pretty easily. You can clean the inside by just running hot water over the left over film of paraffin and it will melt out of the measuring cup.

Here's a link to where I bought them:

http://www.rangeroutfitters.com/matches.htm
    Last edited by Rick; 02-03-2008 at 10:41 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Unfortunately,they can no longer ship the matches!

Wow - I didn't even see the banner on there. Boy am I glad I bought four boxes! Sorry, LM.

Yea,I followed the link and was going to buy some of them,thats what I get for shuffeling my feet huh?