Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canoe of Kayak for camping and fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    so excited that he shakes and dribbles a bit.
    I get that way on Christmas morning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

so excited that he shakes and dribbles a bit.

Well ,,, that happened to me once,,,,,,,, ummm,, oh ,,,,, Nevermind.....

Glad to see y'all are paying attention.

Now I really hate to bring this up but the ideal solution,....Is more than one water craft!

"Watercraft" being defined as "a hole in the water, surrounded by waterproof material,such as, fiberglass, metal, organic material, in which you pour money into", need not be limited to "one man one boat (loose general term).

Not that it is necessary to procure "alot of 'em" all at once, but any addition would be considered as an "addition to the fleet" as the need and means arise.

Most people do not have just one screwdriver for everything.

"There is no such thing as too many boats (read watercraft), right?"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There ya go Hunter! I have 3.. a 16' runabout, a 12' jonboat and a 16' canoe. I fish the river and lakes with the runabout, duck hunt with the jonboat and use the canoe whenever the water I want to get to is carry in only or when I want to get around without the noise of the motor.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    There ya go Hunter! I have 3.. a 16' runabout, a 12' jonboat and a 16' canoe. I fish the river and lakes with the runabout, duck hunt with the jonboat and use the canoe whenever the water I want to get to is carry in only or when I want to get around without the noise of the motor.
    Hey, Ya gotta think out side the BOX, heh, heh, heh.....

I have only four,(at the moment) 17 ft mod Jon boat for duck hunting/fishing(looks like a camo bass boat).
    Canoe (just an old 17 ft Grumman).
    Fiberglass 2 man, kayaky type duck boat.
    Old leaky $40 buck 12' v hull, (river bank leaving boat, don't really care if it goes away or not).
    Still looking for a deal on a 10-12 ft Jonboat, (slid in back of truck by myself, type boat).

Any thing after that I'll I would have to think about.............

....and if you have a boat, or a few boats, you can be a Pirate!!! LOL

pirates.jpg
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

So, if I put my kayaky duck boat, on my bigger duck boat and carry it, does that make my duck boat a "Ship"?

Well, we got to go look at some canoes and kayaks today. At the end of walking around able to sit in them the wife is hesitant about the fishing type kayaks. She says they may be stable but I do not feel safe in them. She says see feels a whole let better when she thinks about being in a canoe.

Now that we got it narrowed down to a canoe we only have to find one. Now we have wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and combinations of said materials. This will be quite fun.

Wise man. Remember --- If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you work on her a long enough, you hear the magic words, "Oh Honey, just buy what you want...I tired of looking, and wheeling and dealing".
    The you have joined "The boat people".
    Congrats

Is being one of 'The Boat People' as bad as being one of 'The Lake People'?
    Around here we have Lake People. I don't qualify as I wasn't born here...but can fit in at times. Some of the yuppies think they are Lake People but the Lake People know better and just smile toothy-like.

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    Well, we got to go look at some canoes and kayaks today. At the end of walking around able to sit in them the wife is hesitant about the fishing type kayaks. She says they may be stable but I do not feel safe in them. She says see feels a whole let better when she thinks about being in a canoe.

Now that we got it narrowed down to a canoe we only have to find one. Now we have wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and combinations of said materials. This will be quite fun.
    I've never owned a wooden canoe so I can't offer and suggestions on that but IMO, the ABS canoes are the best out there. One word of caution with the ABS...dont build your campfire to close to it! They will deform on you and the ride back off the river will be very uncomfortable (so I've heard)! I really like aluminum as well, but they are very loud on the water. The only experience I have with fiberglass is splitting one in half up on the Allagash...That stunk! LOL!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I have used aluminun when I was younger, they are a lot noiser and flashier, aluminum gets real hot, and they spook the fish more.

Personally, I have always been partial to the Old Towns, good canoes, reasonable price. Their site also has sections about canoe types, uses, selection. Put a link to a pretty one http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/h...ator_c160.html . Good luck and have fun.

I said earlier mine was a 17 footer. Mea Culpa, it's not. It's a 14.5 foot Mad River Explorer. It's plenty big for the two of us and gear.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here again we are talking sports car canoes, and pick-up canoes.

Used to lust after some of the fancy Old Towns and such.
    Didn't have the bucks, but wanted a "boat", (canoe in this case)

Best deal at the time was the 17ft Grumman alum. New $399, you put it together. (kinda a funny story about this, but I digress)
    I opted for the low ended, as opposed to the sweep up ends...does catch as much wind, yes, I did try out a couple of different kinds before laying down the cash.

Weighs in a 78# will carry 750 pounds, strong as all get out, and yeah, loud...But a lot of the noise is operator error.

Did replace the alum seats w/Old Towne caned seats, very nice, and replaced the center support with a removable formed oak "portage" carrier.

Yes, I could (note the "could" part) portage it myself, easily, with that carrier,..... it is looog, so picking a path is important.

The advantages of the higher price canoes, the lam-wood, canvas, fiberglass ABS (UV?), are that some are lighter, some do not have a "keel" makes them easier to maneuver, quieter, prettier and lets face it cool.

I chose a alum. canoe as just about every "rent a canoe" uses them, as the are idiot proof, tough, long lasting and not much or any maintenance.

Look into what is out there before you buy, keeping in mind primary use.

Aluminum and rocks seem to be opposing magnets to each other, and once bonded, do not like to break apart. ABS is the way to go. The noise factor can really scare of the animals when trying to sneak up on them for viewing, is another reason to go ABS. One more thing to think about, I have been in the bow of a canoe for extended periods of time fishing and it isn't a pleasant experience if the canoe is to short and the bow seat is to far forward, please check out the seat location.
    Last edited by tipacanoe; 03-12-2011 at 05:35 PM.

I grew up float camping with canoes. I have tried kayaks a few times a didn't like them. You cant carry as much gear and you spend a lot of time wet. I also had a lot of trouble trying to fish from a kayak.

Paddling: I sit in the back and do the paddling. I tell my wife that her job is to sit in the front and look pretty, like the bow figurehead on an old ship.

P.S. ABS is IMHO the far better material for a canoe. Less noise to scare the fish away and much easier to portage those shallow spots.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckhamm3r View Post
    Paddling: I sit in the back and do the paddling. I tell my wife that her job is to sit in the front and look pretty, like the bow figurehead on an old ship.
    Funny, that exactly what my wife's job is!

Quote Originally Posted by MidWestMat View Post
    Funny, that exactly what my wife's job is!
    I agree, that way you don't have to fight her lack of paddling skill, where every other stroke of yours is a correction to one of hers.

LOL I was trying to be tactful but there is a lot of truth in that.