Thread: Splitting Matches?

Default Splitting Matches?

Wooden matches can be cut with a razorblade or other very sharp item, vertically, to make more matches.

Is this a good way of making your matches last longer...making one into 2, or three?

How many times can you split one match, and still have usable sections?

Question Is this a good way of making your matches last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDoc View Post
    Wooden matches can be cut with a razorblade or other very sharp item, vertically, to make more matches. . . .Is this a good way of making your matches last longer...making one into 2, or three? . . .How many times can you split one match, and still have usable sections?
    Splitting a match in half is the most you can do and still have 2 usable igniter's. Splitting them any more than that does not allow for enough heat to ignite the head of the match. I split wooden matches by hand (no razor blade), they split just fine.

You can also split paper matches. One side of the head will be a little bigger than the other, but they can still both be used. . .with prudence!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I posted this because I just heard a myth of a guy who knew a guy who could split the wooden match EIGHT times, and all were usable.

I tried and could not get three section that were usable. My ignition source/red stuff would crack and flake off, leaving me with just sticks.

It sounded like a load, but I wanted to make sure there isn't some special technique. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDoc View Post
    Wooden matches can be cut with a razorblade or other very sharp item, vertically, to make more matches.

Is this a good way of making your matches last longer...making one into 2, or three?

How many times can you split one match, and still have usable sections?
    In one of my books, don't remember where for sure, it's written that convicts in prison were able to split one match into 16, I think it was, that would light. My thinking is just buy up a whole bunch in the 1st place and save the energy. I recently bought 6 boxes of 250 per box of "strike-anywhere" matches for $1.29 a box. With my matches, butane lighter, and different flint/steel methods I needn't worry about splitting matches...or hairs either.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ok, just tried this. Could not get 3 working matches. I agree with Sarge. Matches are cheap ... bring plenty, mini bic, flint & steel combos...

Cody Lundin mentions match splitting in his books. He tells of WWII POWs splitting matches six times.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Cody Lundin mentions match splitting in his books. He tells of WWII POWs splitting matches six times.
    That was it! 6 times, not 16 times! I stand corrected, thank you Sam!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sam - I think you are correct about Cody's reference and I'm sure those were "strike anywhere" given the time frame. Given their ingenuity and some of the things I've seen created in those conditions, I could believe they created 6 workable sections. Not something you or I might achieve, however.

Like, Sarge et. al., seldom a reason not to have enough matches and backups.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I dont use matches enough to warrent the need start most my fires with flint n steel or fire piston matches are on standby

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

i use a tiger torch. does that count as a match?

I wonder if the matches referenced in the book were made any differently than what is available today. A better quality product might be easier to split.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

But now they make them as small and lightweight as possible. Back then matches were a pretty common sight so they were probably a lot thicker and larger. It's like soda cans, they used to be very thick but are now paper thin.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

I've been perusing the Google looking for info on this and the best I can come up with is a 2 for 1 split. It looks like the matches came from the Red Cross parcels but that's about the best I can do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carry a book of MRE matches in my wallet. Every year or so I change them out.

I have(Oh so long ago) taken MRE matches and split them to make mine last longer. When you have no time and no resupply for awhile. You strech out what you have.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Blog Entries

Wink Matches? Matches?

(LATINO ACCENT)WE DON' NEED NO STINKING MATCHES! In my humble opinion matches should rarely be used, if at all. They should be kept in reserve untill your flint rod wears out!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin