Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Coffee - What is your secret

Banned

Default Camp Coffee - What is your secret

While I was hanging around outside today doing various tasks, I decided to make some coffee on the camp fire in the yard. Here is my steadfast time honored formula.....

1 - Well seasoned enamal ware coffee pot (being well seasoned is very important)
    12 - Cups cold water
    1/3 - Cup course ground coffee - I use Maxwell House Columbian
    1 hardboiled egg OR the empty shell from an egg (do not use raw egg)
    1/3 cup of cold water

Place the 12 cups cold water in pot

Place pot on active fire on a grill allowing the flames to lick the bottom and sides of the pot.

Pour 1/3 cup of coffee directly into water in the pot

Allow to actual fast rolling boil - 18 minutes or so to get it there, depends on your fire... allow to boil for 5 minutes

Take coffee pot off the direct flame and allow to simmer over light coals

Place hard boiled egg or egg shells directly into the coffee water, you will see the coffee grounds start to settle.

Now pour the 1/3 cup of cold water into the pot....the grounds will now fully settle.

Pour your coffee and enjoy........ keep the pot simmering on the fire, add a cup of cold water for each cup of coffee you remove.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Coffee pot is always on here at our place... come on by and say hello and chit chat for a bit........there is a hand made rocker by the fire for you...... if you look by the fire, there are cinnamon twists on a stick baking... warm and very cinnomony.....

Banned

Thats easy , (not as much fun but it sure is good !)

Banned

I have used those in a pinch... just not the same as chewing grounds LOLOL A lil pinch of Baileys Irish Cream if it is a nippy morning out is always an added pleasure

I use an old percolator pot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

cowboy mud: my secret is low heat; never above a simmer and absolutely never boil. not only does it get really nasty, but some of the oils in coffee which are released at higher temps are not good for you. I stir if nessecary, but just allow to slowly and gently heat untill all the grounds sink.

persolators are great, but the ones sold specifically for camping are either expensive, or have an almost universal tendency to let grounds into the coffee.

french press: definitely the tastiest camp option, but they are wastefull of grounds, since the extraction efficiency is low.

otherwise: instant. it never tastes good to begin with, so you can't make it wrong. goes good with a packet of carnation instant breakfrast or swiss mist.

my 2¢.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

I have never figured out my french press, I just use the metal mug for a huge coffe mug....I have all the parts, just never took the time to work it. I got it as a gift at a time anything French was taboo...so I took it apart and just use the mug.

LOL I like those oils that are BAD for me... what good is something so good of smell and taste unless it does something bad to you.......I like the boil, it gets rid of any nutty taste and makes for a really strong caffine wise coffee.....

Percs are good, I just usually burn em up because I use em so much, even the expensive cabelas one, they replaced mine twice (wood handle would burn, even though it was the camp fire model) and then the third time I just went back to my enamal ware.....,

I'm a folgers single kind of guy, too. My wife doesn't drink coffee so hot water makes her tea and my coffee.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Thats easy , (not as much fun but it sure is good !)

I love those things!

I've been drinking a instant called kava. It's actually pretty good, I drink a cup in the morning and then when I get in town and my cardiologist aka wife isn't looking I get some real stuff from the gas station.

not the good tasting, good smelling oils; the ones that come out at the higher temps, give you nasty heartburn and taste like battery acid. the tasty ones come out at the medium temps.

unless you like battery acid. just tastes like burnt coffee to me.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Attachment 6487This is the cat's meow, if you like strong coffee with a lot of flavor. Comes in individual packets, I just add sugar and fat free powdered milk.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I take my normal "dose" of coffee, placed in a regular filter, and either use a bread twist-tie, or thread (no, not sinew this time) to make a little pouch of it. Bring water to a simmer in whatever container you are using (bubbles start forming on bottom), toss in coffee pack and wait till it's as strong as you like it.
    I find that the individual packs are too expensive compared to buying regular coffee in the big can like OGL posted up top.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Folger Singles here, too. Don't mind a cup of instant, either.
    Or some Lipton green tea.

Banned

I have honestly never, ever had heart burn issues and never from drinking my camp coffee....it just tatses strong, not burnt at all....my formula came from an old Bradford Angiers backwoods basics book and he stole it from a old gold miner log he had found..... eh nobody else wants to drink it, I'll take it.....LOLOL

B... that Starbucks Italian roast is good, Caribou coffee also has one kind of like it.... I love a strong coffee, the USA is so used to a weak and low flavor coffee....when I was in the mideast, man, now that is some coffee. I think they call it Turkish roast..... but I also like espresso and coffee shots....if you can stand a spoon up right in it, I am good with that.

That is why there are so many coffee's, we are all individuals. It is also why I made the post....I like to see what people like.... no right or wrong answer.....

Banned

I seen a show on tv about coffee,,, they said Percolated was absolutely the worst coffee you could make taste wise,,

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

A real man just boils his coffee in his cup and strains out the grounds through his teeth! Then he chews up the grounds that get through.

As a side note, I have really missed posting on here. I took a new job back in November that demands much more of my time. It's a bigger church in a bigger town (my hometown, actually). The Lord is blessing the ministry here, but it doesn't leave much time for WSF.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Welcome home, again. Congrats on the "promotion" and getting back home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

For me it depends on how much coffee I'm making. Singles for just me and my wife. If we are at a rendezvous we pre make coffee packs using two coffee filters staples together around the edges and filled coffee pre measured for 12 cups. I'm usually up at light o'clock and get a fire going. I usually get the pot to just boil and then simmer. Timing?? well when it smells good its done. I have done the egg trick and added cold water to settle the grounds.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

If I'm car camping, I use Starbucks in a French press.

Backpacking, those Folgers tea bag thingies (in the pic, they are tucked under the egg carrier), or Starbucks Via.

Though I have been known to tote the French press backpacking as well. I've been meaning to try one of those $10 coffee baskets that go in your Nalgene. Now that would be multitasking!

Could probably even cold brew it overnight, and heat it up the next morning.
    Last edited by grrlscout; 03-09-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Now that's a cool gadget, GS. Haven't seen it before. Where would you get one?