Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Question Hunting

Yeah thats right, another hunting thread. What if you were to try putting a long blowgun dart into a sling shot or wrist rocket? using these broadheads http://www.geocities.com/maddd_doggg/blowgun/darts.htm of course.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It would tumble. Why not a .17 .22 cal. air pistol?? or sub-sonic ,22 rimfire. Have you ever tried .22 rimfire CB caps or BB caps....???
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-21-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Nope. are they blanks? we have some of those. i have a .177 cal bb gun. could i put a dart inside it? with a broadhead?

they make darts for .177 cal air-guns who's head heads you could modify to be, oh, .177 in broad. .22 might be a little better.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No....not blanks. Many years ago, befor insane, irresponsable people ruled the world, BB CAPS were used in gallery guns, at carnivals, fairs, etc. It (CB CAPS) are or were also called gallery shot. They will be fatal on small game to about 25 to 40 yards. They make as much noise as your airgun when shot from a rifle. CB Caps are BB Caps only pointed. I have a S&W model 17 with 8 3/8" bbl. that I opened to .22 Magnum. I shoot .22 CB CAPS in this, it splits the case sometimes, but that is no big deal. When I was 9 years old one of my jobs was shoot piegons to feed the hogs. A box of .22 shorts cost .35 cents for 50 rounds. The CB Caps were cheaper. and just as effective.

i have shot the darts but i found them useless and ineffective. i suppose you could make them a broadhead but i think pellets or bb lead shot as they are also known would work better. maybe not for fish but you don't need to retrieve them.

any other ideas on sling shot hunting? or anything to do with hunting for that matter

Blog Entries

I took my old wrist rocket rabbit hunting last Wed. and Thursday. NADA. Just can't shoot fast enough for the fast critters. Now if had snowed, diff. story.

I was shooting 44 cal. lead balls.

I could break a bottle at 15 yards, made a great 25 yard shot at a cup across the stream.

Ballistics; 50 cal. ball, way too heavy. Drops fast.
    45 cal. ball, brings it up a little, aim a little high.
    44 cal. ball, that had a ring cut off, alot lighter, flys very well, amazing what a little lead shaved can do.

The box test; Rocks picked up off the ground, if it can, would go through on side.
    44 cal. shaved, zips through both sides and keeps on going.
    50 cal. goes through both sides and nocks the box off the drum.

Need to get new rubber now.

sweet man!

Flander - I wish you would have written that....Sweet, man. Although Frank is sweet I suppose. Just don't call him that as long as he has that sling shot in hand.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sry. just habbit i suppose. so they way this threat has died, i suppose nobody else hunts for anything. anywhere. or are u just scared to talk? just kiddin but i want to hear hunting stories. Funny scarry i don't care.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why...???????????

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Nothing Wrong with Another Hunting Thread

I use ball bearings I pick up from Home Depot to shoot in wrist rocket, it will take a rabbit out on the run if your a good enough shot (real good) I have heard, I just use my flinter and No.5 shot in it. Hey FVR awaiting a new French Fusil de Chasse (trade hunting gun) made by Blair and he was great to work with. Browning the barrel now and doing a little antique work and carving on the stock.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Beo...

Post a pic when ya get it. I always wanted one, will get one oneday. I just traded off a Shooters model 44 for a 54 Plains rifle. Of course as soon as I got it, I stripped it down, took off the blueing, refinished the stock and gave it that "old" look.

I'll get a pic up soon. Now all I need to do is shoot the darn thing. Thinking 54 cal ball, 80 grains 3F with a wad between the ball and powder. The stock is over 25 years old, the barrel is new.

I am looking forward to seeing the carving on your stock.

Here ya go.http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by FVR; 01-24-2008 at 07:54 PM.

me too!!!!...!!!

Blog Entries

Soonas I get the gun it'll be posted. Promise, man sure is nice having some serious hunters around here.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I think hunting is not as popular as it once was. When i was a kid, so many years ago, and i was just learning to hunt, you might see one running way off at about a million yards, and just spooked as heck. Now you can go to just about any bush and push a couple deer out. has anybody else noticed this???

You are correct. The numbers of both hunters and anglers are falling each year. Coupled with a ready supply of food (cornfields galore in the Midwest) and a lack of natural predators and mild winters, the deer population is increasing dramatically.

Sources:

http://www.fws.gov/news/newsreleases...57C4847DFE791B

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/june/papr/wtdeer.html
    Last edited by Rick; 01-29-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smile Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You are correct. The numbers of both hunters and anglers are falling each year. Coupled with a ready supply of food (cornfields galore in the Midwest) and a lack of natural predators and mild winters, the deer population is increasing dramatically.

Sources:

http://www.fws.gov/news/newsreleases...57C4847DFE791B

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/june/papr/wtdeer.html
    If you want to see a shocking number. look up how many deer per year are killed by cars and trucks. Just pick a state like Pa.

Here is some information on vehicle/animal collisions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/22/us...ef=automobiles