Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival Kit Shotgun

Thought of another reason:

You like cleaning guns with hot soapy water

Blog Entries

Thumbs up You think the government doesn't consider a muzzleloader a firearm

Keep thinking like that and read this for those of you who live in New York State may be interested in a bill that has been introduced into the State Assembly that would require anyone who owns a muzzleloading firearm to have a license for it.

You may read the bill here:
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09543&sh=t

The bill number is A09543
    This bill contains no exemptions for historic sites and museums, nor does it
    contain any exemptions for living history events, reenactments, educational
    programs or purposes, or interpretative events. This bill would require any
    owner of such firearms to obtain a revolver/handgun permit. Such permits are
    extremely difficult, expensive, and time consuming to obtain. They are
    considerably prohibitive of ownership of such firearms. If passed, this bill
    would make New York State the only state in the nation regulating black powder firearms, muzzle loading firearms, or antique firearms in such a manner. If passed, this bill would result in New York State possessing more stringent regulations on this type of firearms and training than any other state in the United States of America. In fact, this would institute limitations more severe than Canada currently imposes on these types of firearms.
    The Fort La Présentation Association sponsors the annual Founders Day weekend at the Fort La Présentation site in Ogdensburg. This site attracts more than 200 living historians, and thousands of visitors. It makes a major economic contribution (more than $250,000) to the Ogdensburg community (the re-enactor participants alone spend approximately $20,000 directly in Ogdensburg during the weekend). This event is our major publicity event for the ongoing restoration of the Fort La Présentation Association historic site, which is currently progressing on schedule to become a major heritage-tourism economic development for not only Ogdensburg and St. Lawrence County, but for the entire North Country. If this bill were to become law, it would be impossible for the Fort La Présentation Association to host our annual Founders Day event; and our plans to create the Fort La Présentation historic site would be seriously endangered. In fact, it would be impossible for any living historians or re-enactors to enter New York State, from any adjacent state or Canada. Most living historians and re-enactors could not legally own the reproduction weapons that they currently use. This bill, if enacted into law, would eliminate living history events and re-enactments throughout the state. New York State has a rich historical heritage. There are, literally, hundreds of re-enactments and living history events that take place throughout New York State every year; and these events make a major financial contribution to many of New York State’s upstate communities. Tens of thousands of tourists enter New York State every year to learn about the military heritage and history that occurred here; and they contribute millions of dollars to our state’s economy in the process. Just within the North Country, there are numerous such historic and commemorative events held annually. These include several hosted by the Fort La Présentation Association every year; each February a War of 1812 reenactment
    in Odgensburg; a large annual 1812 reenactment at Sackets Harbor Battlefield; a Civil War encampment hosted by the St. Lawrence County Historical Society at Canton; regular Fort Drum sponsored living history events; regular 1812 interpretive events at Sackets Harbor battlefield, etc. All of these events would have to be cancelled if this legislation passed.
    The hundreds of museums and historic sites within New York State that own
    collections of historic and antique firearms would have to disband their
    collections, causing catastrophic damage to the history and heritage of the
    state, and in fact preventing many of these museums that are military focused such as Rogers Island, Fort William Henry, Fort Ticonderoga and Fort Niagara from further operations. These museums and historic sites, many of which are operated on constrained budgets, would have to expend valuable funds on the management and disposal of their antique and historic firearms collections. This alone would cause many of the smaller sites to close their doors forever. A large number of historic sites in the North Country would be directly and adversely affected. The absence of an exemption for educational activities would prevent historic classes and programs from being presented to our school children; and would eliminate military history as a viable field of study within New York State. The damage caused by this bill to the history and heritage of New York State would be both inestimable and catastrophic. Many upstate communities depend upon heritage tourism as a major economiccontributor. The passage of this bill would cause severe financial challenges to these numerous upstate communities. This bill would be a terrible economic loss to many New York State residents and businesses, and would be a disgrace to New York State’s proud history and heritage.

So yeah, the government is coming for your firearms... bet on it.
    Last edited by Beo; 01-29-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Absolutely right. Just another reason I don't live in NY. Guess I should have qualified my post with the caveat "IF you live in a normal place"

Blog Entries

Full post finished, and once New York State passes it, how far behind do you think the other states will be.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Wait. New York is a state. When the he** did that happen? Who in their right mind would let them be a state? I suppose next they'll have a woman senator. Senatress? What's the world comin' to?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Saw an excellent bumper sticker TOD:

"Monica Lewinsky's ex boyfriends wife for President"

I don't think anyone would more than one survival kit (for one trip). If your hunting and you have a gun then your survival kit should just be in ur bag or pocket. Of course mabey I'm bias because I hate the cabela outdoors ppl.
    The sweet serenity of the wilderness, the only place someone can know everything about everything

Quote Originally Posted by dscrick View Post
    Saw an excellent bumper sticker TOD:

"Monica Lewinsky's ex boyfriends wife for President"
    Thats hilarious! Sad because its true though.....

What about a 12GA flare added to that kit.

I avoid using guns in my survival packs unless I was taking a trip to Alaska. They are good at first with hunting but I have heard so many times that they jam or break easily in harsh enviroments. And you can't make a gun in the woods, or if you can fix it have some repair tools with you obviously. I stick to carrying a knife and making a bow to hunt with.

I have one of thes little shotguns also. Great little grouse getter.
    I have wrapped everything in the forearm in plastic and tinfoil though. I found that it gets very wet with rain we get around here, without some sort of covering.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Excellent idea. I have a Food Saver vacuum packing unit, I can make pretty much any size "Bag" so I'll encase the survival supplies in plastic.

Hey senior cheif, you can extend the versitility by adding some Aguilla shorty 12 ga shells in your kit as well
    I know what hunts you.

I was just looking at the pictures of yours. I may have to slip a space blanket or a couple of trash bags under the cartrige sleeve on mine. Good idea.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dscrick View Post
    I am a big fan of redundancy when it comes to survival prep. What if you lose your BOB or have to abandon it? Besides always having the basics in your pockets, I think it makes sense to have additional kits with you at all times. Of course many of us include a firearm of some type in our gear, and I am no exception. Besides my CCW carry gun, my BOB contains the shotgun described below. The gun is equipped with a pretty decent survival kit as a back up. Please post comments, I'd like to know what you think.

NEF Y2K Survivor 12 GA with survival kit:
    The forend holds a small Swiss army knife, whistle, firestarting kit, fishing kit, snare wire, safety pins, tyraps.
    In the hollow buttstock is a space blanket, foil, ToolLogic credit card tool with LED light (very flat but useful), compass/thermometer, quart ziploc bag (water bag) with water purification tabs, a small first aid kit/medications wrapped with 2 feet of duct tape, instant tea mix, bullion cubes, hard candy, jerky stick, wet naps, toilet paper from MRE.
    The buttstock is wrapped with 30 feet of 550 cord, then the buttstock shell holder goes over that. I slip a plastic emergency poncho under the shell holder as well. The sling holds 4 rounds of 12 GA, the buttstock holder takes 5. I carry a mix of 00 buckshot for defense, #6 shot for small game, and a few slugs for large game/whatever. Even though the gun is cylinder bored (no choke at all) it patterns surprisingly well out to 20 yards or so. I have killed alot of rabbits with it. The only thing I wish it had was decent sights instead of just a front bead. I ordered a heatshield/ghost Ring sight combo from Midway, it's arriving tomorrow. Cost was $26.99. I'll post an updated pic when I get it installed.

So this simple weapon has all the basics for survival IN the gun! Taken down it fits in a space 20" long by about 10" wide and 2" deep. One note: NEF no longer makes this gun in 12 GA, but they catalog it in .308, .223, and .410/45 colt with the same stock setup.

Photos attached (working now)

We learn something everyday, I have one of those survivors by NEF in the .308 model. I new that the stock would open but I did not know that you could store stuff in the forend. I thought that screw was for barrel removal when cleaning. I just got the weapon about 3-5 weeks ago have and have not even had the time to fire it once yet so can't tell you how the balance on it is or how accurate it is. But from what I am hearing I am liking my purchase even more now

Thanks Senior Chief, my only day off this week and now I'm sitting here with a Mossberg 500ATP on my lap contemplating where I could store stuff. Hey, what better way to spend a day off....
    Fair winds and following seas.
    You are your dog's best friend....

I just made a sling from paracord to add to my "kit" in my shotgun. I used the same technique as seen here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMNkFiV7Bk
    I used about 60 feet. It is actually quite comfortable to use.

i dare say dscrick likes to hear himself talk.

Blog Entries

Stony, get back in your cage.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by coldkill13 View Post
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck with a .223 round between his eyes?
    Not much, they pretty much just fall over, w/a FMJ
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27