Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survival Kit Shotgun

I'm kinda fond of the NEF/single shot shotguns myself.Generally carry mine into the woods every time I go.Mine pretty nuch stock however,except for the buttstock shell carrier,and sling combo.To me you just can't beat the reliability of the single shot,and depending on the size of shot u use,or slug,you can pretty much bring down anygame animal in the US with it,with the proper shot placement of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

I thought that this use of the hollow shotgun stock was Brilliant!, Very imaginative. My .12 ga. shotgun has a collapsible butt-stock rather than the folding one. With a short legal barrel, it will fit into a padded guitar bag with the wings providing room for extra ammo, hearing protection, eye were etc. In an emergency situation, you may not have time to go home and pack up. You need to be ready to leave instantly. Hence Navy training when the ship goes down, get off with what you have at hand. My thinking of use of a soft guitar traveling case with shoulder straps would lead to fewer red flags from those that are destined to be destroyed for lack of preparation. Of course you could always turn your .12 ga into a .50 cal muzzle Loader. With a factory barrel kit.
    Last edited by CAmerica; 04-08-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Why not tell us a bit about yourself at our Introduction section? It doesn't take any Navy training and you can take your "guitar" with you. I'll C UR America and raise you the Philippines.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Some threads never die, they just hibernate for two years until a newbe comes along!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Some threads never die, they just hibernate for two years until a newbe comes along!
    Or Justin. (Snicker, Snicker.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Or Justin. (Snicker, Snicker.)
    LOl,,,,, Y'all tell me one,,,,,, just ONE good reason why older threads are any less interesting than new ones ?? ,,,,,,, Especially for new comers.. EVERY single post made here is GOOD for the forum.... (this is the first time I've seen this thread,,, it was a good read !)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    LOl,,,,, Y'all tell me one,,,,,, just ONE good reason why older threads are any less interesting than new ones ?? ,,,,,,, Especially for new comers.. EVERY single post made here is GOOD for the forum.... (this is the first time I've seen this thread,,, it was a good read !)
    I agree! Just because I'm to lazy to look for cool old threads myself doesnt mean I dont want to read them when some ambitious newcomer drags one to the top of the pile!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Perhaps they have never been exposed to the brilliance and experience we present!

An Justin is in the "early onset" phase and can't remember them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Perhaps they have never been exposed to the brilliance and experience we present!

An Justin is in the "early onset" phase and can't remember them.
    LOl,,, I joined 2-12-10 This thread was started in 08,,,,, New to me Heck KY.... I've been here longer than you Have YOU seen this thread before today ?
    Last edited by Justin Case; 04-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.

To me, threads are like crabs on a crab boat. You just keep shoving 'em down the hole until you can't shove anymore.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    LOl,,, I joined 2-12-10 This thread was started in 08,,,,, New to me Heck KY.... I've been here longer than you Have YOU seen this thread before today ?
    Didn't have to see it, we have done 6 just like it since Christmas 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    To me, threads are like crabs on a crab boat. You just keep shoving 'em down the hole until you can't shove anymore.
    Sooo...You're saying that the two year old ones really stink??? LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I don't know. They are shoved down by the bottom of the tank. I only see them when someone jumps in and stirs the tank up.

Maybe I'll just repost the whole thing. Bad forum etiquette?

Interesting concept. I have never much liked to load my sling down with ammo but with a shot gun it makes more sense. Not a bad approach for being prepared in the woods while hunting or just banging around. My "truck gun" will always be some form of repeater I am thinking. I love muzzle loaders and use a flinter a lot. I have harvested mule deer and white tails both with flintlocks. I take a double barrel cap lock shotgun dove hunting and kill my limit but a single shot anything is never going to be my "first choice" for real life.

OK, so for the Long Gun's Survival Kit:
    You'll need oil, in safe containers that DO NOT LEAK. (Yes, I've had gun oil leak into everything. Bad outcome.)
    Swabs, bore cleaner, small brushes, you know, the same stuff you probably keep on the shelf in your closet, only in survival, your closet might be a tree branch.
    Vaseline or other gun grease.
    Tools as needed for the particular long gun, and a place to keep them from getting lost.

A thousand dollar rifle will turn into a poor club without on-hand maintenance.
    Here's an idea that can help with the leaky stuff:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/142285669447026664/

If the link to the original article doesn't work, the process is really a simple one (and I smacked my head and said, "Now why didn't I think of that?")

Close off one end of a section of plastic straw with needlenose pliers.
    Burn the exposed end with a lighter. It seals up!
    Squeeze some of whatever into the tube.
    Cut and burn the other end.
    Sealed up.
    Cool, eh?
    Last edited by M.Demetrius; 11-18-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: explanation
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

You can do similar with an empty toothpaste tube.

You surely could. Good thought.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

You know that these kits assume you are gonna use the same firearm every time......
    Do you have any idea how many kits I would need?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27