Thread: Just an introduction to the group!

louise

Default Just an introduction to the group!

I'm so glad I found this forum! I was listening to The Power Hour, and the guest lead me to this forum.
    I have long been interested in the natural foods outside our windows, although I live in the city. I see lots of wild plants while walking, and could not name them. I'm here to learn!
    If I have picked the wrong part of the forum to post I'll add to the General Emergency Prepardness thread!
    I have been dehydrating fruits, and vegetables from the farmers market for the last few Summers so I can get fresh during the Winter when the prices really go up. Now that the price of food is going up along with the gas I have been working on dehydrating my own hamburger I get organic from the Carvers Knife fresh from the farmers in my area. In case anyone is interested in the hamburger dehydrating I'm doing:
    I cook the hamburger and leave the meat no bigger that your baby nail, and smaller. When I'm done with that I run the pot full of hamburger under hot water in my sink until I see no oil whatsoever in the meat. I then put it into my hydrator for 12 hours to make sure it's really done ..rock hard! I either put it in heavy plastic ziplock bags, or a jar for saving..good for at least five years. If you have to bug out, it's very light to carry! I'm now working on dehydrating chicken. Yes, it's some work, but as the prices go up, I have what protein I will need to add to other things. Anyone else have any good ideas on dehydrating?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One suggestion is to hide it from the kids, or it won't last a week!

Banned

Hello Louise, I am 9/11 birthdate too. Welcome to WSF. To be honest, I would rather chew rubber than dehyd meats, I have tried them, home and commercial made, just do not like em re-conned. Well, catch ya around the board....Oh and hey.... watch out for that Rick guy, he is kind of shifty.......

Welcome to the forum. We have a lot of talented people here so feel free to ask questions.
    I know what hunts you.

Hunter63, saying, Hey, and Welcome.
    I guess I would have never thought about dehydrating hambuger, have made a lot of different kinds of jerky, some even sorta processed thru a roller that kinda made it like hambuger.
    Intresting, thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I moved you to the Introduction section since it was kind of an Introduction. We have a lot of threads on dehydrating. Use the Search function at the top of the page and you'll get page after page of dehydrating threads. The same is true with wild edibles.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hello & Welcome.....

Blog Entries

Hello and welcome
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome on in
    "I'd rather be rich than stupid. Unfortunately, I didn't get to pick first." - hossthehermit

Welcome to Camp! Just curious, what led you to this Forum? Some guy on a radio broadcast? Cool!
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Welcome to the forum.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hello Louise welcome from KY
    Hope for the best but expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed