Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival list

Wrecked - it would be helpful to know more about you and your situation in order to provide useful responses to your serious question. This is why and Introduction was suggested. Some general personal info (nothing that you are uncomfortable sharing - so it doesn't have to be too specific) would be your age, physical condition, level of experience and previous training, are there others (spouse and children) that you are responsible for, general geographic location, etc.

For example in your OP you mentioned first aid kit. It is important to know your level of first aid training. If you are experienced, a full trauma kit might be advisable - if not, then maybe a basic first aid kit is in order.

For the complete societal break down that you mention, replete with chaos and anarchy - do you live in a rural area? Downtown in a big city? College campus at Northern Arizona University? These are all important factors that should affect your decision making (and hence our advice).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Prep for what YOU beleive may happen. The better the odds the more you prepare for. Then it will not only depend on where you are at but where you want to be. whether you are preparing for a flat tire, storm or cival unrest some things will work across the board. If is general prepairdness for a serious time then I would recomend the LDS prepairdness Manual.

Another good resource is Dare To Prepare by Holly Deyo. It can be picked up at Millennium-Ark and I beleive Amozon. Personally I wouldnt recomend only relying on one source. Theb foxfire set of books are a good source too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    But my advice to someone trying to prep for the perils of weather is a lot different than the coming Zombie horde. Now that's real.
    Well, I'm glad that there is at least ONE smart person on this board!! LOL!!!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    Well, I'm glad that there is at least ONE smart person on this board!! LOL!!!
    And whom, young lady, might that be???

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Anyone who believe in Zombipocalypse!! Double tap, baby!!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Oh. Well allrighty then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just a thought......if you store items and have no way of keeping it, your just storing it till someone with the means to take it comes along.....just a thought

Banned

That is why I have claymores on my SRK.......they can have the twinkies.... but nobody gets my SRK.....

Baiting with Twinkies? You sir, are devious.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I can scratch Mike's house off the list. I'd be a goner for sure. I've fallen for the Tripwire Twinkies before. It ain't purdy but you just have to ignore the pain if you really want those Twinkies.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I knoweth the wrath of which he/her/it speaks...I was married to it for 5 years!

Heareth then, is the universal preperation for any type of wrath...When the wrath approachest thee, thou shall croucheth thy self down, placeth thy cranium betweeneth thy legs, & kisseth thy asseth goodbye...clear?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

It seems that, number one, another nubie bites the dust, but in all fairness.
    Number 2, doesn't anyone read the 'Stickeys" for no other reason that to "not" sound like a total Nube?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...rio-Check-List for example?
    Maybe have the sticky font in bigger print or bold/
    Maybe, Oh never mind, those that are really intrested willl do the digging.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The only effective "list" is the one you make yourself. It must be tailored to your needs. Every list has a time frame. You must determine a time frame for how long it is suppose to help you. And, you need to decide if you are staying or going. A going list will be shorter and for a shorter time period. A staying list can be for a longer period. Of course, you can have both.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

can some preps be multipurpose? what I mean by that, a prep for a power outage will be useful in a SHTF situation. Like a wood stove, it's handy when the power goes out and it's handy when the power goes out and never comes back on. Heck a wood stove can be nice when a person gets laid off, save on the gas bill. Take my garden and chickens for example. I enjoy gardening and fussing with the chooks but I also see it as a prep. On the other hand if I live to be a hundred and never "need" my garden so what. Multipurpose???????? I don't prep because I have to, I prep because I want to and I like being as self reliant as possible. Sometimes prepping can save money, buy when low, use when high and buy when low again.

It can be anything you choose it to be. It's your list.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Randy... my entire existance for the last 7 - 12 years has been that, multi purpose prep as so many things can happen at once and independantly of each other except for maybe a root cause. Like here in Ohio, when that limb knocked out the east coast....the power was out, that shut off the water, the water shut off being able to finish the seasons watering of the garden etc.......so I have tried to make a "Rolling Prep."

That's why I left another Forum,people making wild comments about shooting raiders,economic collapse,cannibalism,etc. ad nausem.Being prepared,to me,is planting a big garden,living off the grid,and enjoying a simple lifestyle.I'm a retired engineer and dreamed of living in a cabin in the woods,my little Garden Of Eden,if you will.I can't see this lifestyle mending well with carrying an AK47?I love to forage,hunt,garden, and being self sufficient,Although Armaggedon scenarios make good money and are a good laugh!I cannot wait to start my garden!

BZ, Have you gardened before?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

BZ - You might want to read through this thread. There are all kinds of "survivalists" on here.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...out-This-Forum