Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am a realist, NOT a survivalist...............

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Ya see....this is what I get a laugh out of. Not you guys, but the people who give or need labels. People who don't understand being self sufficient.

I was raised in the country. The people who I knew, when I was growing up, were farmers, and the like. I mean old school, small family farms. Where you raised, killed, butchered and cooked/cured your own meat. You grew and canned your own veggies.

What some people call "survivalist", or "preppers" are who I grew up thinking were just plain ol' country folk. LOL
    Ya know that's what I always thought. I reckon we were "survivalists" before "survivalists" were cool. LOL.

Great post OGL. You talk of repelling your neighbors. I have no problem with that. It reminds me of an old twilight zone episode. The air raid sirens were going off and only one man in the neighborhood was prepared. The ended up breaking into his families bomb shelter with an axe. In the end the air raid was cancelled. We each must be ready for whatever comes along. We can inform others, but it is up to them to use that information for their benefit. I am amazed how many people think the government will take care of us. Has everybody forgotten Katrina? I have used my job as a deputy to stock pile arms and ammunition along with food from our own garden. When SHTF we can only depend on ourselves. Again, great post and keep informing.

sm55, Yes I have seen that episode.
    I guess all the "friends" weren't so friendly.

If you can catch these old Twilight Zones, they were really well done, and really had a message.
    Love them.
    My favorite is the guy and his dog, going to Heaven.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

But, but, but, I was counting on the deputies to save me. Scratch that one off the list. This dang list is getting shorter and shorter. Gotta go check on troopers. Maybe they'll save me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't really want to see the troopers........Move along, citizen, nothing to see here.......

Banned

LOL if you all actually knew the real depths of my defenses.....I am kind to my neighbores and friends today and will help them all I can TODAY, SHTF and well.....I hope they keep their senses and stay away from my places. They will need maybe a lil bit more than axes to gain entry even to just the outer edges of the property lines... I may go down in history as the new "Vlad the Impaler" LOL even though I am a curmudgeon, some say I really am a nice guy.....little do they know of the real truth....Muuuuuuhahahahahahahah

I'm the same way, Mike. I'm known as Rick the Mocker around these parts. Truly feared.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I'm not a kid(under 60) anymore and in Appalachia we have been living off the land and making it just fine. I can easily remember when we didn't have electricity, used a coal stove, canned and butchered what we ate. The rest of the world calls us hillbillies or Rednecks. Not enough room to post how ready we are to not just survive but live and enjoy it. I can't think of any name that would cover us, just people who do what we have done for several hundred years.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I see people defining words beyond thier dictionary meaning as some kind of manipulation to force conformity. If you want to be one of us (whatever that may be) you must be like this. It only works on the weak minded, yeah most everybody.

Hey Old WV Coot my father-in-law was born in WV and grew in in martins holler in kentucky. Call him a hillbilly and he is mighty proud. He got me hooked on Ralph Stanley and bluegrass. We sit and spit on the porch listening to hill music. Good times.

Banned

LOLOLOL "Rick the Mocker," LOL I am NOT feared today as I help everyone I can.....when the switch flips....some I guess are in for a surprise.....*gets camo clown suit ready with digital pattern squeeze nose.... Camo Clowns are to be feared.....do NOT eat the peanuts they pass out....

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    LOLOLOL "Rick the Mocker," LOL I am NOT feared today as I help everyone I can.....when the switch flips....some I guess are in for a surprise.....*gets camo clown suit ready with digital pattern squeeze nose.... Camo Clowns are to be feared.....do NOT eat the peanuts they pass out....
    OMG, camo clowns, now that is just freaky, scary.........

As a "Camo clown survivalist" you should know that is not the full extent of my preparations. I did all the home preps and it is just another level of preparation. I avoid militia groups but have contact with individuals in them. Some are real nut jobs, others are very serious folks and should not be discounted lightly. They will be just one more problem to contend with for you city folk. Historically many are enlisted to help restore order and lack the training or restraint of normal government agencies.

You guys have had a militia used up there? We have a lot of them around here. I don't think any have been enlisted around here for anything other than mug shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You guys have had a militia used up there? We have a lot of them around here. I don't think any have been enlisted around here for anything other than mug shots.
    Not here but as you know we have Special Forces that speak other languages to be able to use militias around the world as force multipliers. The military will not collapse or if they do will be the last. They will be trying to gain control of whatever happens. I've said before it will not be so much a matter survival as long as you are willing to conform to whatever regime is in control. IMO it will be a choice between maintaining freedom through self reliance or standing in bread lines in total submision to whatever regime is in control. Logistics will be the major factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    IMO it will be a choice between maintaining freedom through self reliance or standing in bread lines in total submision to whatever regime is in control. Logistics will be the major factor.
    The way I see it, unless I'm part of some large counter group, there's no way, no how, I can successfully maintain my freedom through self reliance. Not against any organized regime or militia--if they decide to come after me.
    Flying under the radar is the only way and I haven't figured that one out. Heck, I'm just learning how to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    The way I see it, unless I'm part of some large counter group, there's no way, no how, I can successfully maintain my freedom through self reliance. Not against any organized regime or militia--if they decide to come after me.
    Flying under the radar is the only way and I haven't figured that one out. Heck, I'm just learning how to fly.
    This why I made mention of logistics. There will be much out of thier control. Ports, Transportation, food supplies, hospitals, communications will have priority. They will have thier hands full with that and wilderness areas should be low priority. I work in one of the 15 ports deemed vital to national security and it will be secured but where I live is hardly worth the bother except to those of us that live there and I'm sure some form of community guard would be established quickly. Not all the militias or groups will be bad when formed to defend thier community and there is precident for this but unless you live there you will not be welcomed and probably have all your stuff confiscated. It is the militias promoting some politcal agenda that are the real nut jobs. It will be a fight for survival if it gets real bad. Up to a point people will work together.

Theoretically speaking of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Theoretically speaking of course.
    And seeing how events unfold around the world. That it happens this way is indesputable. Is it just that you think it will never happen here or to you?

Banned

I am the different one I guess....I know it will happen here and to me......so I prepped.....