Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 year bug out? Anyone prepared?

Banned

I actually disagree with you rick....it does however depend of what you call living and surviving.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would go so far as to say it is not possible to live for a year without any type of resupply AND be on the move. It's just not doable.
    Damn sure NOT doable in Alaska for a year straight. Which is why come early winter everyone built a structure, and throughout the summer cached food.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    I actually disagree with you rick....it does however depend of what you call living and surviving.
    The deal breaker is you have to keep moving.

If our swamp boys were really really good on wild edibles they might....might....be able to pull it off. I know I couldn't in the Midwest either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

EGO = Extrovert Gun Owner................if it is SHTF, there are NO rules ...I already distrust anyone anyways.....the only rule will be me and mine or yours and I pretty (EGO) sure, me and mine will put up a pretty good fight and "GAME."

one year bug out would be tough. For sake of discussion how long did Ishi last before he reached out for help? if anybody could have made it he could have. the other that comes to mind is wild bill moreland but I suspect he was crazy. oh yea there was those japanese soldiers that made it for a long time too.

Blog Entries

Wilderness survival scenario check list

Training scenarios are an excellent tool to get the mind moving in the direction of the desired training. When preparing a scenario there are many variables that must be considered. In the case of this forum the scenario would be geared toward wilderness survival. Following is a list of things to consider when preparing a wilderness survival scenario.

1. Reason: How or why did you end up in this situation?
    2. Location: Alaska, Ontario, New Mexico, Colombia, Africa. Etc.
    3. Environment: Arctic, Tundra, Boreal forest, Jungle, Desert. Etc.
    4. Season: Spring, summer, fall, winter. Etc.
    5. Weather: Clear and sunny, Cloudy, Raining, Snow. Etc.
    6. Temperature: Extreme heat, Moderate, Cold, Extreme cold. Etc.
    7. Number in party: Several people or a lone person.
    8. Health: Are there any injuries.
    9. Equipment: If any. Describe in detail to the point of how a person is dressed.
    10. Desired out come: Use specific questions. I.e. What would be your first priority? What kind of shelter would you build? Would you try to walk out?
    11. Provide feed back:
    12. Try to keep the “thread” on point.

Don’t be offended or get your feelings hurt if you are asked for more information. Remember the training scenario is used to “train”. Some people just naturally need more information then others.

Before posting the scenario; you should do it yourself. See what your answers would be.
    This will give you an idea how others will respond.

“MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE SPELL CHECK BEFORE YOU POST”
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I could never compare my skills to Ishi. If someone were truly born of the earth he would be a prime example. All he knew was the earth from his birth. The woods was his supermarket.

As for the remnant Japanese the South Pacific islands change the whole scenario. If you live in an area of relatively abundant food year round and the average temperature is something like 75F then you just upped your odds a whole bunch.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    one year bug out would be tough. For sake of discussion how long did Ishi last before he reached out for help? if anybody could have made it he could have. the other that comes to mind is wild bill moreland but I suspect he was crazy. oh yea there was those japanese soldiers that made it for a long time too.
    Ishi was a stone age Indian that lived off the land his entire life. Not an urban neophyte that wants to play in the woods.

What you are suggesting is not realistic.

Banned

Unless my land becomes inhabitable due to lets say a chem/nuke accident, I do not see me on the move except for the first week going from point A to point H with way point stashes in between. If I honestly need to be on the move for what ever reasons, we have plans for that also with fall back plans to that.

I am really not worried about Nazis... well...... except for the Twinkie Nazi's, take my Twinks and you will have a real fight on your hands, nuttin I hate worse than a Twink stealer or Twink overlord........

Hey now! Some things are not joke material. Don't go talkin' like that. There are no Twinkie Overlords. Zombies sure.

Blog Entries

Default Example of a Survival Scenario

Survival situation scenario

A. Beginner

Understand that there are no wrong answers. This is meant to get you thinking. It is a training scenario. Your answers will be critiqued in such a way that guides you to making the best decisions possible. Good luck.

You and your best friend are at the end of a 5 day fly in hunting trip. You are looking forward to being picked up this morning and are happy to see the small float plane as it lands.

Because both of you have been successful harvesting deer, the pilot will have to make three trips in stead of the two trips it took to put you on the island. The first trip takes your hunting trophies. Your best friend is somewhat older then you and is feeling a little worse for wear so you allow him to go out on the second trip with the gear. The plane takes off at 12:00pm. It is a four hour round trip so you expect the plane to return just before dark to pick you up.

It is now 5:00pm and dark. You have seen nor heard nothing of the float plane and realize you are stuck on the island for the night. To make matters worse, the weather is starting to drop a rain/snow mixture.

It’s going to be a long, cold, wet night. Get yourself through it.

Type of environment: Coastal bush Alaska. The terrain is steep and heavily wooded. The ground does level out as you approach the beach. The ground is covered with a thick, heavy, wet moss.

Weather conditions: Cloudy. Temperatures are right at freezing. There is a slushy rain falling.

Season: Mid November

Equipment:
    Water proof hunting pants and parka w/liner
    Wool watch cap and baseball cap
    Set of polypro’ long underwear
    1 pair cotton boxer briefs
    1 pair mid weight smart wool socks, 1 pair heavy weight smart wool socks
    1 pair 800 thinsulate rubber knee boots
    1 pair polypro’ glove liners, 1 pair goretex leather gloves
    1 small day pack
    1 high quality fixed blade hunting knife
    1 Leatherman supertool
    .22lr revolver with 50rds of ammo
    Expensive divers style wrist watch
    LED head lamp
    1 5ft x 7ft piece of heavy plastic sheeting
    15ft 3 ply 3/8 twisted nylon rope

Supplies:
    1 small bag of trail mix
    1 liter bottle of water

Number of people in the group: You are alone

Each person's strengths: N/A

Weaknesses: N/A

Medical condition: Not injured

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Ishi was a stone age Indian that lived off the land his entire life. Not an urban neophyte that wants to play in the woods.

What you are suggesting is not realistic.
    actually I'm not suggesting that if Ishi could do it we can. The point is after Ishi lost his people and was alone he couldn't do it either and look at his skills. If a guy like that couldn't do it how could modern man.

Mike - Take a look at this thread. Maybe you've seen it, I don't know. But it does a nice job of describing the various mentalities on here. (or mental cases, which ever)

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...out-This-Forum

Banned

Spell check before I post....Oh lord, please do not tell me Art Eatman (TFL & THR) is running this board too.......I would not like it if the spell check Nazi's took over the world....it would be a bad bad bad times for me....

Banned

I think Rick just called me a mental case....* stomps and sips my coffee and looks at the knife I need to sharpen.....Oh wait, it was sharp...*other self * Oh no it is not, it needs sharpening....* are you sure....*Yes, I am sure now sharpen you heathan ....... does anyone else have these convo's with self??

Are you talking to me? He was talking to me. Yeah, right, like anyone cares what you have to say.

I believe if I had to "Bug-Out" for a year.....My backpack would include a copy
    of, Speaking Latino for Dummies....Rope, knife, money and a good supply of a
    pain reliever,......Because this is gonna hurt........................................BH51

Banned

I honestly see the point to the thread question, the issue is the amount of detail needed to answer it. Each person here would need a BOOK to answer it correctly as each one of us would approach it in a different way. My plans are my plans, regardless of being good or with many faults. Each one of us could look at the others plans and pick it apart like daisies.

I can survive in the woods in MY area for as long as my 20% kidney function lasts. At my cabin, I have the equipment and supplies to do dialysis for 2 years as long as my access points stayed viable. In that time I could create the equipment to do PD dialysis via fluid exchanges (not the same as hemo dialysis) and live on forever. My Kidney failure is truly my only limitation to perpetual survival in the bush or at the homestead.

Each person brings with them their own unique set of needs and skills. One skill set off and you die.....You do not need to be Ishi to do it either. Many of folk have went to the hills and lived, thrived and survived and as many or if not more went to the hills and died.

I feel with my full skill set of skills and in MY 5 state area, If I make it to 6 months, then I can make it for as long as my natural life allows it. Could I do this lets say AZ, Fla, Maine, Idaho...I am not sure, maybe Idaho yes, the others I just do not know the areas. 1/2 to 3/5 of my current life is living it....not a far stretch to extend those skills and living it 24/7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    actually I'm not suggesting that if Ishi could do it we can. The point is after Ishi lost his people and was alone he couldn't do it either and look at his skills. If a guy like that couldn't do it how could modern man.
    Sorry, Got it !