Thread: Opinions on an ultralight tent?

Default Opinions on an ultralight tent?

I'm looking to spend roughly 200 bucks on a tent. I currently camp with a hammock but it's not good for me plus the dog, not bad for when I'm out with friends and the dog can't go with me.

It needs to be for one person, hopefully around 2 pounds at most.

I may try camping with her with an alpha tent. See how she does with that but I'd rather have some more security so she doesn't wander off in the middle of the night.

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

At 2 pounds you're probably looking at a Bivy Bag. Check these out at 3 pounds, they're a top brand:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24903

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23890

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-solitaire-tent.shtml (under 3 lbs.)

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889 (Also under 3 lbs.)

Check 'em out.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vahtryn View Post
    I'm looking to spend roughly 200 bucks on a tent. I currently camp with a hammock but it's not good for me plus the dog, not bad for when I'm out with friends and the dog can't go with me.

It needs to be for one person, hopefully around 2 pounds at most.

I may try camping with her with an alpha tent. See how she does with that but I'd rather have some more security so she doesn't wander off in the middle of the night.
    Any suggestions?
    Chain her outside the tent. My dog is not allowed in the tent. I need him to be a security alarm.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

On cold nights I want her in the tent with me for extra body warmth. I figure most of the time since where I live it's warm she'd be chained up outside (she carries that in her back pack, not me).

I'm just starting to look into getting a secondary sleeping system so I can either choose this one or my hammock.

Blog Entries

I use a bag out of Cabelas called a 3D. Its a -25 or -30. I can't remember which but it works and it doesn't cost much.

The only tents I can think of that meet you weight requirement are made by Go Lite or Kifaru and thet aren't cheap.
    I know what hunts you.

If you Google "Ultralight backpacking tent" you get quite an array of options. I haven't used them, so can't give you a review. Keep in mind that light often means $$$. How about a tarp?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a Nemo Morpho 1P tent that I really like. It is a little heavier (3.7 lb) and a little more expensive than you wanted ($311). I love the tent, it is durable and very easy to set up. It also performs very well in high winds.

Hope this helps.

Kifaru is a nice choice for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If you Google "Ultralight backpacking tent" you get quite an array of options. I haven't used them, so can't give you a review. Keep in mind that light often means $$$. How about a tarp?
    I have a "Noah Tarp" from REI and a double sided tarp I baught from AAFES that I carry in my hunting pac. Very light and handy. I have used them many times for shelter.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

There are several well-made solo, one-person, tents and bivy bags on the market. Campmor, REI, Cabela's, EMS, etc. are good sources.
    but with a 2 lb. weight limit, I'd say go with a tarp. An 8x10, 10x10, 9x12 or 12x12 would do you fine and be very light. The tarp and some paracord for guys, riging cut-on-site supports, etc. would be very light. Again, the major outdoor sports stores, as above, have several to choose from.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Google "appy trails."

They have a line of ultra-lightweight tents that won't break your wallet.

Their 5-man tent comes in at 2.6 lbs with the center pole. Tie the center point off to a tree branch (or make a pole from a straight stick found in the woods, or use your adjustable trecking pole as the center pole) and you can drop 10.7 oz off of that leaving you with a weight of 1.93 lbs.

Even if you choose to add a lightweight tyvek or silnylon ground sheet you are still going to be super light and way less expensive than some of the other lightweight tents available. You get more room too, which is a big step up from those silly bivy sacks.
    Last edited by lucznik; 03-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.

If you get a trap, don't go cheap on it. Get a Sil-Nylon trap
    I know what hunts you.

When I take my dog and hammock, my dog sleeps under the hammock, and therefore under the tarp. I tie her to a tree to keep her from running all over the place. Of course, she doesn't get cold at night, even in really cold weather.

Here are some tents that are really close to what you are looking for, price and weight wise.
    http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

From the same manufacturer, he also have instructions on how to make one yourself. http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

If you have limited sewing skills, you can still make one yourself. Just buy a tarp, then sew on a bug skirt around the edges. You can have a really crappy sewing job and still have a tent that works great.
    Also, if you already have a tarp (for your hammock), you can just get a bivy. There are so many types of bivies to choose from. It doesn't have to be waterproof, just bug proof, because you are under a tarp. You can also just buy a bug net for $30 and set it up under your tarp.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee