Thread: Winter = citrus

Default Winter = citrus

At least around these parts.

I've been grabbing tons of lemons, and even a few kumquats. I made a batch of lemon curd, and candied the kumquats.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I used the excess kumquat syrup in a pork glaze.

Didn't get a shot of the lemon curd. But here's one of the previous batch I made:

They are also good preserved in salt. But I'm still working through the last batch:

Oh and pecans. There are still tons of pecans around:

You can preserve any of the citrus with salt. I did oranges, limes and lemons last year. They taste like crap though. You can't wash off enough salt to make them taste good again. I don't remember which one turned olive green. Maybe the limes. They were still good but something about that citrus and the salt caused the peel to turn OD. Maybe they were Army limes.

Where the heck have you been?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I pretty much only use them when called for -- usually middle eastern dishes. See my post in the what are you cooking thread for an example.

I have a lot going on right now. Lot of BIG things. House hunting, trying to launch a business, and being part-time grandma. I don't see it letting up any time soon.

Blog Entries

It's good to see you back, some of the boys have been suffering from lack of your food pron pics. Justin has tried, but it's not the same! Hope things calm down soon!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.