Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Accelerating events

I agree Rick. The problem is that people have short lifespans so we don't remember these events. When we read history we somehow think we are now different and our society will never collapse - like it's done many times. One of the problems we now face is that we've never had a global population this high. this means that when the collapse does happen (again) there will be many more who die this time. While it's true that we have technology now that we've never had, our reliance on this technology will precipitate this collapse. Mankind will of course survive, however not without great cost. Most individuals will not. I believe that most Americans and British will, because of our resources and entrepreneurial spirit. We tend to look at the world through our eyes. I am guilty of it myself. The rest of the world has a different mind set when it comes to problem resolution. What little freedom remaining abroad will be blamed. The ones who sponsor freedom and democracy will be blamed and executed and a new world order (think very old world order) will return. They will unite against a common enemy (us). Look at the class warfare that's being sponsored here while we have plenty. There will always be folks who insist on pitting us against them (making up classes of people and non-existant problems) just to promote their power changing strife. We just need to prepare for this inevitable change as best we can, if we can't stop it. That's why I'm here.

Having survived a minor sociatal collapse, I think my mind is more open to unthinkable events and practical ways to endure. An earthquake and tsunami like we just had in Japan is a good example of why we need to prepare. We need to ask ourselves what would we do if in a similar situation. A 30 ft tsunami in the Gulf of Mexico would kill many more here on the low lying, populous gulf coast than it did in Japan - and that's among people who know how to live off the land. Unlikely? Most certainly. Possible? I'll leave that up to you.

Chip

Again, Don. It's a matter of perspective. If the world is only 3000 miles square, as in the case of ancient Egypt, it has it's own inherent problems of invasion and disease (remember, vaccines and antibiotics weren't invented yet). The Black Plague and the Potato Famine and the diseases brought to the indigenous folks of this country by lack of immunity are just a very few examples of how mankind has been culled in the past. Does it matter, really, if it's by nuclear or disease or famine? It will happen in the future just as it's happened in the past and just as it's happening now. No difference at all other than the method perhaps. We'll never go back to old technologies because too many people have forgotten them and too many people make money on today's technology. Greed will always trump need.

I'm not dissing your opinion. If you choose to believe that then by all means do so. I'm just offering up that we've been there and done that time and time again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Again, Don. It's a matter of perspective. If the world is only 3000 miles square, as in the case of ancient Egypt, it has it's own inherent problems of invasion and disease (remember, vaccines and antibiotics weren't invented yet). The Black Plague and the Potato Famine and the diseases brought to the indigenous folks of this country by lack of immunity are just a very few examples of how mankind has been culled in the past. Does it matter, really, if it's by nuclear or disease or famine? It will happen in the future just as it's happened in the past and just as it's happening now. No difference at all other than the method perhaps. We'll never go back to old technologies because too many people have forgotten them and too many people make money on today's technology. Greed will always trump need.

I'm not dissing your opinion. If you choose to believe that then by all means do so. I'm just offering up that we've been there and done that time and time again.
    I know your not dissing my opinion, you have always been respectful. I am not disputing that humanity has been there done that in history. My point is that the scale and reach of what may becoming will surpass what we have experienced in the past by virtue of our population,destructive technology and vulnerability to what happens else where as a result. In the past, with few exceptions humanity has suffered in isolated ways. My point is that global disasters are more likely now.

Don

That, sir, I do agree with. The scale or at least the potential for the scale is much larger. We are becoming a much larger more intricately entwined family. A problem such as we're seeing in Japan has ripple effects for everyone. That could be a very GOOD thing, however. It makes us more tolerant of each other and more willing to work toward equitable solutions rather than just hit each other with clubs.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Gee, I hope the price of sushi doesn't go up because of the earthquake/tsunami. We're all doomed!

Chip

I picked up 25 pounds of white rice today if that means anything.

It means you're not very strong. I could easily pick up 50 lbs.

Seriously though, it's wise to buy and store now for many reasons. I always buy my rice in 50 lb bags, but that's just me.

Chip