Thread: Eye Protection

Default Eye Protection

I Have A Friend Who Wanted Me To Teach Her How To Shoot Rifles Better. I'm Far From An Expert, I Feel You Are Always A Student In Everything In Life. So I Was Excited To Teach. Breathing, Squeeze, Calm, All This Stiff Except One Huge Thing.... ALWAYS Keep The Rifle Tight To The Shoulder. She Fired 20 Rounds Without Incident. Then I Pushed Her To Perfect The Shot. Next Shot The Scope Came Up And Hit The Bridge Of Her Glasses Between The Lenses. Shes Got A Small Bruise, But Without Those Glasses It Could Have Been Much Worse... Always The Student, Student Teacher Too. And I'll Be Damned If She Doesn't Get Right Back At It And Hit Things My Eyes Can't Make Out. Shes Got The Calm Down For Sure.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

You get two eyes and two ears. That's it. Protect them no matter what you do. Small amounts of damage can add up. Have them checked....often.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sounds like a case of "scope eye". I got it once shooting my 7mm Rem Mag w/o safety glasses. Good cut above my eye. Was seeing red, literally. If it keeps happening, may need a scope with more eye relief and or a lighter caliber.

I had a (somewhat) similar experience with handguns. I had to learn the hard way that you don't shoot a semi-auto handgun with a thumb over thumb grip. That was a painful lesson, but I still don't wear gloves. Cruisin for a bruisin I guess

Huh, What?.. What did you say?.....Plus 1 on the safety glasses, and make sure you add hearing protection as well....Thanks for the reminder.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You get two eyes and two ears. That's it. Protect them no matter what you do. Small amounts of damage can add up. Have them checked....often.
    I wager there are several of us experiencing the affects of not heeding that advice in our misspent youth.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Well sometimes it isn't just the scope that bites ya.......

Trim your finger nails.
    Thunb nail (I think) did it to me once.

I have to tell you about my first encounter with a H&R/ NEF SS.

I purchased a 12 ga slug gun quite a few years ago, came with 24 in barrel, peep sights and a cylinder bore choke(?).

Any way, everyone told me that Brenneke slugs were the best, so I bought some and out to the range I go.

The H&R that I had, (still do) came with just a clip to hold on the fore arm, (they are held on with a screw now), but this one has just a snap clip.
    So, I loaded up one of the nasty black and orange shells, took aim, squeezed the trigger........

The recoil kicked it up and fore arm came off in my hand, cutting my eyebrow with my finger/thumb nail, .
    By instinct, I pushed the break button, so the barrel rolled off the action, and fell to the ground.

There I stood, action in one hand, fore arm in the other, barrel on the ground, with smoke coming out of both ends, and blood running down my face.

I thought it had blown up!, but I had drilled the bull @ 25 yds.
    I thought WOW!

Like I said still have that gun, but have had the clip-on fore arm fixed.

"Good heavens, buddy, are you all right?"
    "What?"
    "Well, for starters, you're bleeding and your weapon came apart."
    "That's how I learned to shoot."
    "Well.....okay then."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"Good heavens, buddy, are you all right?"
    "What?"
    "Well, for starters, you're bleeding and your weapon came apart."
    "That's how I learned to shoot."
    "Well.....okay then."
    Well, actually it was an old Creasent Arms 12ga SS, and it was so loose that you have to wear a leather glove on your trigger hand, as the eject lever, behind the hammer would pinch the web of your hand every time you shot it.

So that and the "2 shell rule" pretty much prevented needless shooting at stuff for the heck of it........

Having your shot gun fall apart in your hands was kinda exciting.

Exactly! I was born with a lazy eye, when I was 4yrs. old I was stuck in the same eye with a cigarette by accident! Then I got a piece of steel in it about 20 years ago and had to have it removed and the rust ring scraped out of it. Now I cant see **** out of it! And its too late now that I am older and smarter! Well older anyway.But I wear my safety glasses.

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Oh, man, I almost puked reading that. I can't stand eye stuff. I can't even watch then do cataract surgery on TV. Eyeballs are my Achilles tendon. (that's a medical pun. I slay myself!!!).

Actually, I'm sorry about your eye. That is no laughing matter. But eyeball stuff does get to me.

Funny thing was, I was required to wear safety glasses on the factory shop floor, didn't need glasses as a younger guy.....But got so used to wearing them I felt naked with out them.

Still wear them but now I need a little "help"...if you know what I mean.

Had to wear hearing protection as well, (shop was really a noisy place).

She Just Got A Nice Bruise, The Glasses Saved Her. And To My Credit, I Made Sure There Was No Blood, And I Had Secured The Weapon Before I Started Giggling, That Then Turned Into Laughter
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton