Thread: Flatheads and Bullfrogs considered invasive?

Default Flatheads and Bullfrogs considered invasive?

Did anyone know that flathead catfish and bullfrogs are considered invasive species? I just found it out and it truly shocked me.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...bullfrog.shtml
    http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...tcatfish.shtml

They native to my world, S'kid......
    And...Flathead is the best eating of all catfish to many....Frog leg ain't bad either...I've two small
    ponds on my property and harvest bull frog from time to time...especially when they reach numbers
    worthy of effort....You can get right on top of them with a 4'wheeler or lawn tractor idled low
    where'as they won't let you sneak up on them on foot...never thought of them as invasive but I
    suppose they would be in specific regions...Also,..you can bait a cane pole with a hook & bug, dangle
    it in front of them and catch'em that way...Flathead is a favorite to noodler's........................BH51..

Quote Originally Posted by BH51 View Post
    They native to my world, S'kid......
    And...Flathead is the best eating of all catfish to many....Frog leg ain't bad either...I've two small
    ponds on my property and harvest bull frog from time to time...especially when they reach numbers
    worthy of effort....You can get right on top of them with a 4'wheeler or lawn tractor idled low
    where'as they won't let you sneak up on them on foot...never thought of them as invasive but I
    suppose they would be in specific regions...Also,..you can bait a cane pole with a hook & bug, dangle
    it in front of them and catch'em that way...Flathead is a favorite to noodler's........................BH51..
    There extremely abundant in my area too. You never see them causing problems on the DNR/GC site. Flatheads are in rivers and ponds never really seen them in cricks. Bullfrogs I never even thought they were 'invasive" but I guess in some regions they could be looked at that way.

Yea,...and I can see where they would consider an issue as they'll eat anything that
    moves....to include small fish, snake and other frogs.....Flathead catfish prefer live
    bait, as opposed to scent baits like other species........................................BH5 1..

Quote Originally Posted by BH51 View Post
    Yea,...and I can see where they would consider an issue as they'll eat anything that
    moves....to include small fish, snake and other frogs.....Flathead catfish prefer live
    bait, as opposed to scent baits like other species........................................BH5 1..
    That's true, in my neck of the woods the catfish like either dead or alive bluegill dipped in a secret family dipbait, or our secret family doughballs. They rip them up like you wouldn't believe. Crap are a fan of the doughballs to. What rig do you use for fishing cats?

Would you believe Yo-Yo's?....baited with minnows...and wear crappie out with'em also...BH51

I use an Ugly Stick Heavy Action with 20lb braided line, I use a 3pt swivel and run a hook off of the bottom swivel and a weight of the other.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Imo works pretty well.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

invasive and delicious!

Yea.....I use a similar method when tight line'ing only instead of swivels & leads I
    just tie lengthy loops onto the main (30lb test mono) for both hook(s) and weight.
    and use a heavy rod & real we call river-rods as it's not uncommon to hang 15 to
    50 lb catfish in these rivers and currents can be strong...back in the fall, I managed
    a 28lb carp in such a manner............................................ ...................BH51...

Bullfrogs are native to the East Coast United States. They are only invasive when they get transported out of their native zone and eat or compete with established native frogs.
    They are considered invasive in places west of the Rockies. So it the Opposum, another US native.

You need to be very careful when looking at lists of invasive species. They are usually regional in nature rather than countrywide or global. A bullfrog in Oregon is an Invasive Species. In Massachusetts, it's part of the native fauna.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Bullfrogs are native to the East Coast United States. They are only invasive when they get transported out of their native zone and eat or compete with established native frogs.
    They are considered invasive in places west of the Rockies. So it the Opposum, another US native.

You need to be very careful when looking at lists of invasive species. They are usually regional in nature rather than countrywide or global. A bullfrog in Oregon is an Invasive Species. In Massachusetts, it's part of the native fauna.
    Agreeing with those that talk about how yummy the Frogs & Flats are. Also you don't even need a bug on that cane pole, just a small leaf if done right. Dry flies work well also. These 2 species can invade my kitchen anytime!

Dang BH51, I'm droolin' over your avatar! I love Morels!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin