Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Suggestions For Water Purification System

Default Need Suggestions For Water Purification System

Naturally I want to get the most "Bang for my Buck", so I am turning to my WSF friends/family for suggestions. My Constraints/requirements are $100 or less, Ease of use, Easy Maintenance, Durability, and Long Life of components/filters.

Some I have been looking at are:

Miniworks® EX Microfilter

Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter

Katadyn Vario Water Filter

MSR SweetWater Water Filter

Or possibly someone knows of another one that would be better?
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Here's a better deal on the MSR Sweetwater Kit. This one includes the 2 liter Platypus bag and still costs less. This is the very same system I use. It should also come with a filter brush and carry bag. I'd check with them first if you decide to go this route and ensure it comes with the filter brush. You'll need it at some point. All filters clog. It's just a matter of time and water turbidity. This happens to be a discontinued item. They no longer offer the Platypus. I've never dealt with these folks. Just found a better deal.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/pr...16/prodid/7572

I really have no complaints with the MSR. It's easy, lightweight, pumps in both directions (up and down) so it takes less time to fill up. Drain the filter and store it in the freezer between field trips and you won't have to worry about bacteria or mold growing inside the filter after its first use.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Or possibly someone knows of another one that would be better?
    Move to Alaska and drink pure water right from the stream..........

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Move to Alaska and drink pure water right from the stream..........
    You have Beaver there, right? Animals still die there too right? Nothing stopping them from falling in the water...... Kind of along the same lines as someones signature saying something like... "If you need it and don't have it, it's useless. If you have it and don't use it, it's useless. If you have it and don't know how to use it, it's useless"
    It only takes once to drink contaminated water to put you in danger.

I used to drink water from the Okefenokee Swamp every day, straight out of the Boat Trail. Never got sick even once. I too was lucky. One day I came around a bend and there was a dead deer floating in the water.... I quit drinking water from the boat trail then. As the old saying goes...."Better safe than sorry".

99.9999% of my camping has safe treated water nearby to use. I am getting a Water filtration system for those times the "Safe Drinking water" is either not available, or down for some reason. There is a county near me that every time they get a lot of rain they have "Boil Drinking water" alerts. People who live there, also buy the "Brita" water purification pitchers for that reason. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

@ Rick Thanks I'll look at it.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

I use an MSR sweetwater. It's light, small, and I haven't broken it.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned

When I use a filter/purifier I use an MSR Sweetwater. I am normally a boil it to treat it guy. but MSR does a good job and filters are dang near anywhere like Dicks, Cabelas, MSR, Bass Pro and Gander.... even Sears, Wal-mart online and a few other sources have them.

Just remember that the majority of filters only treat bacteria and protozoa. You also need to treat the water for viruses. While some filters do use an iodine or silver component to kill viruses, most do not.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just remember that the majority of filters only treat bacteria and protozoa. You also need to treat the water for viruses. While some filters do use an iodine or silver component to kill viruses, most do not.
    Ok so which ones within the Guidelines above would work in that capacity as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Just a little more than I can spend at the moment. It looks a little bulky too.

Wasn't 100% sure if you were talking hiking or just for backup for Boil Water emergencies.
    I looked at a Steripen that was seriously marked down at a local outlet store. There's just something about that I can't trust. Maybe cuz there is no active filtering going on. I dunno. They say they work though. Didn't buy it cuz of the battery usage. Solar charger was available but that wasn't marked down.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Wasn't 100% sure if you were talking hiking or just for backup for Boil Water emergencies.
    I looked at a Steripen that was seriously marked down at a local outlet store. There's just something about that I can't trust. Maybe cuz there is no active filtering going on. I dunno. They say they work though. Didn't buy it cuz of the battery usage. Solar charger was available but that wasn't marked down.
    Well I need it to be compact so that this one water filtration system can fit whatever purpose needed. BOB, or BI situation.

The MSR Sweetwater comes with a bottle of anti-virus treatment. I think the bottle will treat something like 250 liters. But it's just sodium hypochlorite or bleach so you can add that to any filter you carry. Add 5 drops per liter and mix for 10 seconds then wait for 5 minutes before you drink it or add anything else to the water like a drink mix. I get sodium hypochlorite at the local pool supply shop for about $6 a gallon or you can pay $14.95 for the Sweet Water, which is 2.7 ounces. Just remember that sodium hypochlorite degrades with time and sunlight so you want to keep your supply in the dark (mine is stored in the garage) and replace often.

Just to add...If you go with the MSR then you should receive a bottle of the solution in the box. Watch the date on the solution since it may well be past the expiration depending on how long it has been sitting on a shelf somewhere. Mine was and I called MSR and told them the date had expired and they sent me a new bottle (before I realized it was just bleach). Hang on to the bottle and refill it using sodium hypochlorite and you're in like Flynn.

Well I decided on the Katadyn Vario.
    I appreciate everyones input. Although the Sweetwater seems to be the most mentioned here, I thought that if I had to add something to the water, then it didn't really matter which one I chose. I can always go with Rick's suggestion and get the sodium hypochlorite he mentioned, Or I could just boil. Soooo I went ahead and got the Bugaboo Hiker as well. Anyways a potential gap in my preps was filled.

I've got the MSR MiniWorks and I love it. Aside from the fact that it is easy to use, it allows for a nalgene bottle to screw into it to prevent contamination. And I've modified mine so I can fill my hydration bladder without taking it out of mu pack or even taking my pack off.
    I know what hunts you.

Show us the mod Sarky...
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Good for you, Poco. I don't think you can go wrong with a brand name filter. The thing you'll need to be careful with is cross contamination but it will be tougher for that to happen with that brand. I'd still store my raw water tube in a Zip Lock bag just so it doesn't come in contact with anything clean in your carry bag. Those little buggers will be on the outside of the tube as well.

Congrats. I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro, but stayed out of the discussion because..
    1. I had not used the others on your list
    2. I don't think you'll go wrong with any from your list.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Congrats. I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro, but stayed out of the discussion because..
    1. I had not used the others on your list
    2. I don't think you'll go wrong with any from your list.
    LOL The Hiker Pro was another I was considering.... I just listed the first 4 "Popular" models (Instead of listing every single one). Next time speak up!! Even if it's NOT on a list you might have something to say that could put it ON the list! LOL

Coffee filters are cheap and light weight. They will extend the life of most any filter or purifier system. Double as a fire starter.