Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front yard "garden"

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You'd be surprised what you find in your yard that can be considered "wild edibles" since you didn't plant them there yourself. One of my favorite books is "Weeds" http://www.amazon.com/Weeds-South-Wo.../dp/0820330469

It has very detailed descriptions, good pics of mature plants and cotyledons. It's a good way to familiarize yourself with identification without even having to leave home. You can practice between filing on blades

You should be able to find a similar book for your area. This one was published by UGA Press, I think.
    Last edited by your_comforting_company; 03-23-2011 at 10:50 PM.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Well, I clicked your link and right on the bottom of the page was "Weeds of the Midwest" and "Weeds of the Norhteast" (the latter being me) so I guess I'll have to pick that up soon. I've been looking for a book like that and never though about searching for weeds... lol

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anything that doesn't grow in a place where we plant it is considered a "weed" whether it's clover, oxalis, or a pecan tree. You might also try any of the wildflower books that fit your region. Normally none of those books will have any edibility info, but that is of little concern if you can't identify the plant. It's too easy to make a plant fit a description in a field guide with sketches, which I found made me antsy to try to eat things I could not properly identify. That's dangerous if you lack self control!!
    Thankfully, I got hold of Sam Thayer's book about the same time and I learned to control my "appetite" by forcing myself to learn the plant FIRST, and later worrying about how to cook it (or not lol)

In that respect, most "forests" are just "weed plots". You'll find many of those edible "weeds" in the same places in the woods as in your yard, whether it's a shady corner, a sandy walkway, or a wet depression. You can learn a lot about plants without ever leaving home.

Good luck on your quest. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.