Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MONSTER Bowie WIP

Default MONSTER Bowie WIP

Well I was down in the shop And decided to use this piece of O-1 Steel I had to make a knife. Since it was only 16" long and 3/16" thick I decided to make JUST one knife out of it. I freehanded the tip for an upswept point Bowie. Seeing as how Sarge Loves Big knives, and is always trying to get noobs to get the biggest one they can find, I'm thinking of calling it "The Sarge".

This is actually the biggest knife I've ever tried to make. More like a short sword.... The OAL is almost the same length as from my belt to my knee.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

That is a hefty knife. Looks good I like big knives.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Thanks! I am probably going to add a finger choil and Jimping on the spine so you can choke up on it some. So far it is just kinda' roughed out. It will also have a swage or false edge on the curved part of the points spine. I think Once I get some of the bulk removed I will draw file it so it will be smooth and even. I may have to make scales for it,as I'm not sure I have anything that will fit the handle length (5" handle)...Just checked and I do have some Redwood Burl scales that will work. I'm also thinking about finger grooves to make it more comfortable to grip, due to the width of the steel.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

That's a seriously good job for free handing it. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick! Yeah I'm pretty pleased with the rough out I have done so far. Hopefully I can keep it going the way I have it visioned in my head.

This is what I'm thinking of doing with the Finger Choil, Jimping, and handle. So IF I do this it will be slightly shorter. This is just drawn on so far. Alcohol will "Erase" it all, If I change my mind.

Blog Entries

Nice job brutha! Cant wait to see more.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

"Now that a knife" (say it in an Australian accent)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    "Now that a knife" (say it in an Australian accent)
    LOL You think Mick Dundee Would like it Huh? Yeah I could see him pulling it on some guy trying to Mug him. "You call that a Knife?? ... Nah Now that's a knife!" LOL

Well done Poco. Looking forward to your progress.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes, I do, I kinda really like it my self, looks kinda like my "belt sword" LOL.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

I can't wait to see it finished. I like big knives to. I carry one on my ATV.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Cool blade Poco!! That is going to look great all dressed up in redwood burl! Cant wait to see it finished!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Well did some more to it today... mostly with files. Did some draw filing to even out the grinds...A LOT of draw filing. Thinking about just going with the handle as it is here. There is a Thumb Ramp that isn't too clear in the pics.

Almost ready for heat treat, if I leave it like this... just some sanding and final touches left if I leave it like this. Also hard to tell is the handle is a gentle "Teardrop" or elongated egg shape.

EDIT: Here are some close-ups of the handle...........

Last edited by Pocomoonskyeyes3; 03-03-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added Some shots of the Handle

Is the handle going to have a mosaic in the middle and pinned on the ends?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Is the handle going to have a mosaic in the middle and pinned on the ends?
    Man I can't get anything past you can I? Actually all 3 are gonna' be Mosaic pins. I have some 1/8" Mosaic Pins as well.

If you use more then one mosaic in a handle, make sure they are all pointed in the same direction! Ask me how I know....

Looks real nice Poco!

Looking good Poco! I had planned my next knife to be a big one! Get R' done!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Woo Hoo! Looking good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Folks! I wish it looked as good as Y'all make it sound! I am sore, sore, sore from all the draw filing, my muscles are used to "pushing" instead of "pulling" and my shoulders are feeling it LOL.
    @ Camp Yeah my "Big Mosaic pin is a little different design than the smaller ones. I will make sure they are oriented the same Or in a similar fashion. That is still a Looong way off yet. That's like what, the next to last major step? After that it will just be "Pretty-fying" it

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"