Thread: Any have this idea?

Default Any have this idea?

Im thinking of making a wild edibles binder for my state and surrounding states to grab on the go in case of an emergency, when going camping, etc. Anyone else done this?

Thanks,
    SurvivalKid

No, but it's a great idea, kid!
    Wish I was 1/2 as smart @ 15.

Good thinking. And a little suggestion is when your out and about and find a wild edible make a note of its location in your book.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A flower press will go a long way too. Nothing quite like having a sample of the real thing to compare. I still gotta take pictures of my pressed flowers and "scrapbook" for the boards. (man, I have a lot of projects!!)

Of course, it all depends on how correctly you identify the plants you include. If you identify jimsonweed (before flowering) as cocklebur, you'll be in a sad state of affairs.
    So what books and websites are you using for references for creating this binder?

I know I sound like a broken record, but plants can be very dangerous. Proper Identification is critical.

Sounds like a good idea, S'kid..........Provided you're doing this for yourself rather than
    others.....as liabilities may have to be factored in there...I've not tried to compile info
    for such outside my immediate county as there are just too many geological variables
    to consider within an entire state...And, then stayed away from anything remotely
    controversial as pointed out (proper ID IS CRITICAL)..can't stress THAT enough...BH51

Yep. I keep mine in my pack. I just copied off what I wanted to remember about the plant, and a picture...put them each in one of those plastic sheaths and put it in a binder. I don't like the bulk though...so I'm going to have them all laminated and put them on a ring instead.
    MUCH easier than hauling around a big book full of a load of things I don't care about.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

If you are going to do that, take color pics of the plant in all 4 seasons so that you will be able to reconize one any time of the year.
    I know what hunts you.