Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The value of Beef Bouillon cubes in a kit ???

Banned

Default The value of Beef Bouillon cubes in a kit ???

Ok, so I was inventorying one of my BOB kits and came across this bottle of beef bouillon cubes. So I decided to check their actual food value.....here is what I discovered:

serving size: 4g w/ 2 cups of water
    calories: 5
    fat: 0%
    sodium: 900mg 35% daily
    total carbs: 1g 0% daily
    protiens: 0% daily

I do realize they make a great base to a stew or soup if you are adding caught-gathered-hunted items from the wilderness to make them edible taste wise.

I do question however the actual food value of the 1 cube serving as a stand alone food source. The sodium alone would make me think twice unless I am trying to hold liguids. The chicken and the pork bouillon cubes were exactly the same values.

Give me your thoughts on this....

worth adding to a kit or not?

If so, why?

if not, why?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like them. Kill a spruce hen or ptarmigan and dice the breast meat into very small pieced and boil, add bouillon and minute rice, cover let sit for ten minutes, enjoy. (Note: it matter not beef or chicken bouillon)

I have them in mine and hold them with as much value as I do my tabasco. It makes something that may be inedible, edible. Even on their own, they give comfort to a yucky belly or just a sad soul. Nothing like a nice warm cup of broth when you're in the downy-dumps. Sometimes those things alone outweigh the actual food value and considering the little space and weight they add...I think it's worth it.
    Last edited by Trabitha; 02-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Way to much sodium in them for my tastes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good idea for BOB but not the type with too much sodium.
    There are low sodium and sodium free options out there.
    Here are a couple:
    http://www.heartwisefood.com/sbo.html

http://healthyheartmarket.com/herb-o...lowsodium.aspx

I live in a small town on the Pa. Oh. border

As mentioned before nutritionaly zip,but psycologicaly a great benefit,and makes boiled water tasty.I have added multi vitamins after a bout of heat prostration last summer,very painfull muscle spasms,and dizzy spells.It would have been bad if I was in the wild not at home.By the way my doctor suggested sport drinks as well as my usuall gallon of water to avoid this in the future.

I think that chicken or beef bouillon are good things to keep on hand. I too prefer the lower sodium variety. While they don't have much nutritional value, in times of stress they can add a little variety or familiar flavor to your meals. I think that their psychological impact can be pretty significant either as a cup of broth or flavoring for a meal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Always keep them in my pack, makes a cup of instant rice a bit more savory
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Add Bouillon to your Ramen noodles; you'll be glad you did!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

when you're sweating a lot you really will need the sodium. when you're eating the same thing constantly it's good to have the flavor. double win.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Very good and well thought out answers, thank you and I never knew about the low/no sodium bouillon.... ordering some tomorrow. Beware though, the ones I checked tonight have HIGH postassium... for those with real heart issues, potassium can stop your heart in an instant... so just be careful what you are using and how much of it you are using.

Jumping in a little late here, but I have seen both bouillon cubes and tea (!) in survival kits. The explanation I was given is that if you have the ability to make a fire and heat water if you're very cold, adding bouillon or tea will make it drinkable, since just warm water is a potent emetic for some people (makes you puke!). I also believe in the psychological comfort value of bouillon, so I'm adding them to my kit.

Do you have a source for warm water being emetic? I've never heard of that, and I do it all the time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like them to add some flavor to what I may find, or even as a broth alone. They do have to much salt to be good for me though. A little more bulk, but the same purpose (and salt amount!) is the Lipton instant Chicken noodle soup. I keep some in my car kit as a base to mix other things into. I sometimes use it in the same way in the kitchen at home. Use home made tomato juice to reconstitute it, add some garlic, onions, morels, and some left over chicken parts. Good stuff!

The cubes or soup is not a must have for me, but Coffee is. No mater what, life is not to terrible if I can sit by a fire with a hot cup of coffee.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    I like them to add some flavor to what I may find, or even as a broth alone. They do have to much salt to be good for me though. A little more bulk, but the same purpose (and salt amount!) is the Lipton instant Chicken noodle soup. I keep some in my car kit as a base to mix other things into. I sometimes use it in the same way in the kitchen at home. Use home made tomato juice to reconstitute it, add some garlic, onions, morels, and some left over chicken parts. Good stuff!

The cubes or soup is not a must have for me, but Coffee is. No mater what, life is not to terrible if I can sit by a fire with a hot cup of coffee.
    Amen to that!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Double Amen to that!

Blog Entries

Back when I was knee high to my Dad, I used to ahem "help" him at work in the school holidays. The winter holidays were my favourite. Kelly kettle Bovril..... Ahhh nectar! If you've never heard of Bovril, here you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril. I still have it as a drink in the winter and on toast just about every morning. I think I've just realised what else I'd miss other than soft TP. Yes Bovril (cubes) are stashed in my BOB.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Some people complain about the high MSG in bouillon. They aren't required to state that it has the MSG. They can just say that it contains spices, flavorings or a variety of other labels. The FDA feels it's safe, in general, and should only adversely affect those with uncontrolled asthma or a few other conditions. I'm not faulting the FDA because they wanted the MSG foods to be properly labeled and stated that the "no MSG" label was misleading. I think everyone loves the flavor, including myself. However, the nutritional value sounds like a negative.

If there's no coffee this wagon train ain't movin'. Wars have been fought for less.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No MSG for me. I'm sticking to Monosodium glutamate.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel