Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog gigs

Default Frog gigs

I did a search and didn't find anything about gigs on the forum.

I was at a sporting goods store the other day and found frog gigs similar to these:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...g+gigs&x=0&y=0

Does anyone here use them or carry them?

They are light weight and inexpensive. In addition to frogs, I could see it being handy to have for fish, snakes, birds and other small game.

Here are some other related sites:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ig.html?cat=11

http://www.usadeepsouth.com/article1090.html

http://www.google.com/images?client=...w=1906&bih=845

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTEEJ8cO99Y

http://hubpages.com/hub/swamp-recipes

Yeah, we talked about it a while back. They are illegal here for fishing unless it's a survival situation.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...highlight=gigs
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Also used those to gig spiny and slipper lobster in Panama on the coral reefs. Get off work, go gig lobster just after dark and wonderful dinner. Oh what a life that was! The lobster cerviche was wonderful.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, we talked about it a while back. They are illegal here for fishing unless it's a survival situation.

There it is.

I've giged a many of frogs on the fram we had two ponds that were full of bullfrogs very tastey
    Hope for the best but expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed

They legal in my area for non-gamefish species like carp, buffalo, drum, catfish and so on...
    and are a popular sport in the Mississippi river bottoms, especially when the river is beyond
    flood stage...I use the larger gigs intended for alligator and order them from a place out of
    Louisiana...I've got a 3 and a 4 prong and a some'what bigger than what one would use for
    frogs....gig'n frogs is popular also...it's fun but takes practice...been doin' it years.......BH51

Good for flounder stickin' along the beach at night too.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Frog gigs are illegal here, but I like to keep one in my truck kit. They are useful for lots of things besides gigging frogs.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Correct if I'm wrong but I think in Indiana it is illegal to gig game fish but non sport species are fair game like carp, drum and buffalo. A friend of mine and I went fish gigen this spring for drum when the river was out.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by BH51 View Post
    They legal in my area for non-gamefish species like carp, buffalo, drum, catfish and so on...
    and are a popular sport in the Mississippi river bottoms, especially when the river is beyond
    flood stage...I use the larger gigs intended for alligator and order them from a place out of
    Louisiana...I've got a 3 and a 4 prong and a some'what bigger than what one would use for
    frogs....gig'n frogs is popular also...it's fun but takes practice...been doin' it years.......BH51
    Ah I missed your post it's the same way where I live in Indiana. My gig is my geat grandpa's gig its got four prongs and the prongs are about a two foot long and its about a foot and a half wide.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Ah I missed your post it's the same way where I live in Indiana. My gig is my geat grandpa's gig its got four prongs and the prongs are about a two foot long and its about a foot and a half wide.
    That isn't a frog gig...it is a pitch fork.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    That isn't a frog gig...it is a pitch fork.
    lol... It's for fish the size of a haybail though
    I'll post a pick of it tomorrow I think my great grandpa made it, at least I know its home made.
    Thomas Paine

I live on the water, and have quite a few frog gigs. I always keep one in my pack, though I've never actually used it out and about, only at home.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

after my dad saw an episode of swamp men where they were frog gigen and usin nets insted of gigs my dad got to schemin and made his own, and I tested it out for him. Its kinda like a butterfly net for frogs its got a 15' pvc pipe handle and you just ease it out over the frog and let it fall down on it. I used it with great success the only modification that we need to make is to make the net deeper so the frog hops in the net far enough that you could pick the net up and the frog would be traped to remove at your discretion.
    I'll post some pics of this to today if I get a chance.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Correct if I'm wrong but I think in Indiana it is illegal to gig game fish but non sport species are fair game like carp, drum and buffalo.
    That is correct in most places. However, on the tributaries of Lake Michigan you can not even be in possession of a gig. It's a bit confusing but the Ohio River rules seem to indicate gigging of sport fish is okay as long as it isn't done from a boat or platform.

If I were starving and a gig was all I had I'd certainly use it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I may have over exargirated the size my fish gig is only about a foot wide and a foot and a half long

This is my fish gig which was my great grandpa's
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This is my trusty frog gig which is also as old as dirt, but the prongs don't break off like the ones you buy at wally world.

This is my dads prototype frog net, the only problem with it is the depth of the net. For the net he used some shoot through screen mesh off our hunting blind that we never use.

Thomas Paine

That's actually not a gig in the first picture. It's a trident.

That's actually not a gig in the first picture. It's a trident.
    rick are you sayin my great grand pappy was king neptune?
    Thomas Paine

If he was holding that he could be anything he wanted as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Heck!! I just realized that dang thing has four prongs. It's not a Trident either. Tridents only have three. I've got a couple of books on old tools. I'll see if I can figure out what it is. Way too big for a gig.

Well that didn't take long. It looks like it might be a Flounder gig. Who knew? Did your great grandfather live around the coast?