Thread: Accidental Discharge

Default Accidental Discharge

My dad used to always carry a Colt Python .357 Mag in a shoulder rig when hunting during general gun. He sold the .357 years ago and hasn't really carried a side arm since. He carries a pistol in his pack. But, it would be a slow road to get to it and for some reason he has been carrying his PF9 in his pack.

My dad raised us shooting 1911s. He has one in particular that he had accurized. It has confederate flag grips and is one slick nickel to be sure. Its a Springfield he picked up in the 70's. Its a shooter for sure. But, I don't know if these hair trigger pistols should be carry guns.

I took my .44 mag with me last weekend and so my dad brought his Dan Wesson .44 Magnum and stuck it in his old .357 shoulder rig. It was too heavy. So, he takes that Springfield 1911 and his Yakuza slide holster.

First thing is my dad taught us pretty hard on gun safety from a young age. My brothers and I follow pretty strict gun rules. My dad not so much. First thing in camp he is covering me while he checks the chamber and then my brother while he messes with the safety.

I gave him a rash of shift on the way to our walk in spot. We get out and we are all loading our shotguns and I am on the opposite side of the truck when I hear a pop. The truck dampened the sound a lot. First thing I think is someone dropped their shotgun and it discharged. I was on the ditch side of the truck so I walked around and I saw my dad and Sean's faces and then Sean moved to the back of the truck.

Anyway, my dad had touched the trigger on the gun when he went to holster in what he thought was condition 1. How, you can shoot 1911 for that many years and get up or down on the safety wrong I don't know.

Luckily he missed his leg and the ground absorbed most of the energy of the round and it popped out towards my brother, but, only traveled a few inches.

What happened next was bizarre. My dad kind of went into some form of shock and lost all ability to practice muzzle aversion or even common sense. I am sure it was embarrassment. He some how believed the weapon had malfunctioned and that the only way to clear it was by firing the gun into the woods. I told him not to fire into the woods and to take the mag out and clear the round in the chamber. He did that and then reloaded the gun and decided not to carry it. So with the gun in condition 1 he threw it spinning onto the seat of the truck.

Three hunters were in that very head he was going to fire into.

I post this so others might see what can happen. My dad should have dropped the mag and ejected the round in the chamber and then figured out what caused the AD. Actually his finger should have been high on the slide. Also a 1.5 lb trigger doesn't belong on a carry gun IMHO.

Anyway, they say if you handle firearms long enough you'll have an accidental discharge. Every one at one point breaks a rule accidentally. We have so many with firearms because you can't take that bullet back. So, be safe guys.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a friend that had an AD in the locker room at the sheriff's office.

He killed three uniforms and a second chance vest, a locker door and three locker walls.

Also lost a weeks pay.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

It's easy to do. Thanks for posting and reminding us that it DOES happen. You have to always be on your guard.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So true, I found that "rookies" seldom have issues, they still have fresh in their brains the training. It is us old farts that seem to have the rectal cranial inversions that cause the ADs. I try to keep firearms handling almost a ritual, to the point that if if I miss a step I feel uncomfortable. Has worked so far (fingers remain crossed). As for trigger jobs, I have always kept things stock as they come out of the box. Granted, I am not what one would call a precision shooter, so I have not ever felt at a disadvantage. I found (so far) that the factory triggers that I have dealt with stay consistent and "knock on wood" I have not had any ADs.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Guns are tools, and as with any tool, if we become complacent in their use we will cause an accident. A good reminder for all Batch, and I'm sure glad nobody was injured.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good thread, Batch.......
    I've had only one AD of actually 3 incidents and that was with an old single-shot winchester saddle'rifle with
    one of those in-line knob-type safety that slip't from my fingers whilst trying to draw it back and the other
    two were actually tests of the safety...an old shot-gun where'as the safety didn't work at all and a 30-06
    that discharged with the lever-type safety not completely in place...both incidents of sale or trade.......BH51

Good post, reminders are best read, not experienced, Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Thanks Batch,,, good reminder for sure, I am glad no one was injured...

Batch negligent discharges are never a good thing and even worse when someone gets hurt. I'm glad to hear everyone is okay and still have the same amount of holes as they started with that day.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 02-13-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Anyone who spends a lot of time around firearms and Say's they have never had an accidental discharge.....Well, they have not really spent a lot of time around firearms, they just think they have.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

As long as one is following the #1rule (keep it pointed in a safe direction) an AD can be reconsiled with a simple apology.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I appreciate the honesty here. Glad to hear it happens to the best of them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    As long as one is following the #1rule (keep it pointed in a safe direction) an AD can be reconsiled with a simple apology.
    Apology my arse, I just yell, Damn I clean missed'Ya. I better get them sights fixed.

or: You S.O.B. you stay away from my woman........and my geese.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-13-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Default Completely off OP, but...

Has anyone had or knows of a custom built handgun?
    By that, I mean custom built from scratch--where you indicate every single detail you like and they make it for you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

John Linebaugh will build you a revolver from scratch. I had one of his .475 Linebaugh Maxamums. I sold it for $2,850.00 to a guy who already owned one.