Thread: Rasp Wip

Blog Entries

Default Rasp Wip

Here is a rasp that Camp sent me. Thanks Buddy! I will post up more pics as I move along on this.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Camp is a great guy! Looking forward to this!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Holy heck! I like that thing just like it is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's looking great!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Question?....It does not appear you annealed it at all?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

I annealed it last night and brushed off the scale a bit and ground the teeth off a bit too. It is very very soft now.
    Last edited by panch0; 02-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Looks great! Just a thought really..... Are you leaving the "Teeth" of the rasp where the scales will go? It would seem to me that when clamped, that the teeth will "Bite" into the wood, bone, or antler, helping to provide a more secure "Grip" between the Scales and Tang.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Looks great! Just a thought really..... Are you leaving the "Teeth" of the rasp where the scales will go? It would seem to me that when clamped, that the teeth will "Bite" into the wood, bone, or antler, helping to provide a more secure "Grip" between the Scales and Tang.
    Thats exactly what I am planning on doing. I figured the same thing. I am going to dye the epoxy black around the edges to have a better look where the teeth leave gaps, kinda like filework.
    -Frank

that's coming along nice.

I've been wanting to try a rasp, there are several laying around the barn. I'm not sure how it would work out for me, I hammer rather than grind. Been concerned with the hammering causing stress cracks even though the steel is heated red hot. I reckon there's one way to find out. <G>

That looks great Pancho!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I live in a small town on the Pa. Oh. border

I just bought 2 annealed file knives made by Anza,wonderful blades but small handles.Great for precision work but my hand gets tired even slicing veggies.I like the looks of yours may try to make one myself.This would be my first time making a knife that wasn't in a kit but after reading all the information you guys post I am ready to try.I'll let you all know how it goes.Thanks for the most informative and easy to understand instructions I have found.