Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Simple Survival Scenario

Vegan is plants ONLY. No fish, no eggs, no cheese, no milk, nothing derived from an animal.
    I am a vegetarian--so no animals, just seafood.

Corals are animals? How can a vegetarian eat fish and seafood, your paradoxal.

Corals are crustaceans. Still...the term is off, you're right. But that's where it stands now.

I think we are wasting our time trying to have a meaningful conversation with BH. I applaud the efforts though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you say humans can't survive without tools and fire your acting like your against nature but not a part of it. So, you want to harm nature anywhere you go? Fire takes woods, shelter takes woods, traps take rocks, woods, plants, everything takes something. That's why the nature is destroyed today, because you did not figure other way to survive in wilderness than to exploatate/manipulate nature. If there is no other way to protect from cold than to wear clothes I approve that it's needed. If there is no other way to make food safe than cooking it I approve that. If I would die if I don't make fire and there is no other way to survive I approve that. Do you think there's other way? How can you know how much do I know? You can't judge a person who you don't know. And how can I know how much you know? How can you tell Im young when you don't know my age? If you are expert why don't you look on this scenario alternative.

Corals are crustaceans, don't make me laugh. They are among the most primitive beings on the planet. Corals are like plants. Crustaceans are far ahead and have brain, have a complex body, eyes that corals don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic Human View Post
    If you say humans can't survive without tools and fire your acting like your against nature but not a part of it. So, you want to harm nature anywhere you go? Fire takes woods, shelter takes woods, traps take rocks, woods, plants, everything takes something. That's why the nature is destroyed today, because you did not figure other way to survive in wilderness than to exploatate/manipulate nature. If there is no other way to protect from cold than to wear clothes I approve that it's needed. If there is no other way to make food safe than cooking it I approve that. If I would die if I don't make fire and there is no other way to survive I approve that. Do you think there's other way? How can you know how much do I know? You can't judge a person who you don't know. And how can I know how much you know? How can you tell Im young when you don't know my age? If you are expert why don't you look on this scenario alternative.
    The human population was more or less stable and in sustainable balance until the industrial age and oil. Your theorizing has no sound basis in fact and more some kind of misplaced morality.

seriously, someone just ban him already

How can you know how much do I know? You can't judge a person who you don't know. And how can I know how much you know? How can you tell Im young when you don't know my age? If you are expert why don't you look on this scenario alternative.
    That's true. But you haven't told us ANYthing about yourself so that we have an idea of who you are. For example: Where you live, what you do, how old you are, what your background is, etc.
    If you don't want to share ANY information about yourself the way the rest of us have, then we'll have to make assumptions about you based on what you said. And what you said (without any support links) makes no sense to any of us.
    If you want to play by your own rules, then you'll have to play by yourself. Understand?

BH - You need to think about this. Every single person, every one, that has responded to you has told you that you are wrong. Not one person has agreed with you. And yet, you continue to post the same dribble. So, either, 1. You're just really young, 2. You're just really dense or 3. You're just trolling and trying to cause a disruption. The latter will get you banned.

Now, before you continue on with your ramblings I want you to actually research your next post and post supporting documentation for it. If you don't, I'll just delete it for not following instructions. You're going to learn the right way if we have to hold you down and force feed you. By the way, I may have to change your name to BS if you keep this up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OK I'll give you a little slack. True, there have been the odd exceptions of "Wild Children". However without exception they were all Supported by a pack, herd, or other animal community..... NOT one did as you are suggesting in YOUR scenario... Not a single one. I, personally have given you links that show how man has used fire and tools for thousands and thousands of years. Fire will kill parasites and bacteria that can / will kill you. You COULD use a solar evaporation still to purify water, But this would violate your "No Tool" Clause. Still there are organisms that might not hurt fish, but could cause illness in humans. This could put you in a very serious life threatening situation. I seriously hope you never have to use your suggested methods, Because without tools and/or fire you are most likely gonna' die.

Now Will you kindly stop spreading false ideas & beliefs?
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Oh, believe me.....as Rick said - he is done spreading false information and Bovine Squeeze.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Priority #1 in your scenario is getting a sufficient amount of water to remain functional. You'll need a minimum of about three liters of water per day and that's if you're not overly active. Both vines and bamboo are great sources of drinkable water. At least in Thailand, where I live, if you cut a vine and water (instead of milky sap) comes out, you can drink it. Cut the top first, then the bottom. Hold it up and the water will flow. When you want it to stop, hold the vine horizontally. When you want it to start flowing again, simply cut the end and hold it up again.

Bamboo, especially during rainy seasons, hold a lot of water. This water is drinkable right out of the plant too. Tap on the larger-sized bamboo sections and you'll learn how to tell which sections contain water and which are dry.

Finally, you can get a good amount of water out of a banana tree. One way to get it is to (unfortunately) cut the tree down near the base. Scoop out a bowl shape and wait a bit. It'll fill up with drinkable fluids. This fluid also contains some valuable electrolytes.

If you can't find water is these plant forms, you can boil water in bamboo...no need for a pot. You can make a carrying container from bamboo too, of course.

I wouldn't worry as much about food as water. You can live a long time without food. Raw fish still carries the risk of microbial problems. Even fish out of seemingly extremely pure water can carry problematic microbes.

Malaria and Dengue Fever take about seven to ten days to incubate. Again, not the most pressing concern. Hopefully you'll be out of the jungle by then.

Very good post, Galong. I'm always interesting in seeing some other resources that I have no knowledge of. I love learning. Wouldn't green coconuts also provide you a source of water?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

FWIW in 1962 2/7 USMC put us in the field for 7 days with 7 ounces of uncooked rice, 12 gum drops, 6 ounces of cheese and 6 ounces of pepperoni. During those 7 days we ran infantry tactics all over Casey Spring in Camp Pendleton Ca. Water was provided. We had means to build an individual fire and cooked the rice in our canteen cups. IIRC the average weight loss was over 20 lbs and this was from physically fit grunts not office personnel.

My SIL was a chief at the USN SEAR school in CA in the early 2000's I toured the facility and was glad and impressed. Glad I didn't have to train there and impressed at the depth of the training.

AS far as a weight gain; I was medically retired in 1971 because of the loss of several internal organs. AS a grunt I was used to eating large amounts of food as we were burning it up on any normal day. I didn't have the sense to change my eating habits and gained over 45 lbs within 4 months of being released from the Great Lakes Hospital. I was sitting on my butt going to college, thanks to the US Government and "chapter 31". Drinking beer with the other military personnel, boot strappers, discharger's and medically retired students, attending the same collage, and packing on the pounds. :

AS for Posers someone who hasn't "been there done that" may have a problem seperating truth from fiction, but if you have the "T" shirt, it doen't take much to seperate the wheat from the chaft.

Semper Fi
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Very good post, Galong. I'm always interesting in seeing some other resources that I have no knowledge of. I love learning. Wouldn't green coconuts also provide you a source of water?
    Hey Rick,

Yes, green coconuts are awesome in many ways. I should have mentioned them as I'm sitting here looking at three coconut trees in my yard!

There is a surprising amount of fluid in them and the soft meat is easy to dig out with a make-shift spoon made directly from the green husk.

Some claim that drinking too much green coconut water give them diarrhea. I've never experienced that.

Coconut meat is really high in fats, a valuable commodity when in a survival situation. If water/hydration was a issue, I'd go for coconut meat way before considering a protein... which takes a lot of water to digest and supplies a limited amount of energy. The ROI, in other words, isn't really that positive.

Banned

Corals are crustaceans, don't make me laugh. They are among the most primitive beings on the planet. Corals are like plants. Crustaceans are far ahead and have brain, have a complex body, eyes that corals don't.
    Not wanting to make you laugh, but coral is really like a plant as it's taxonomically classified in the Animalia kingdom and the Cnidaria phylum. I would hesitate to call them 'among the most primitive' as there are massive categories of living things that are a lot more basic in their design and behavior. I hope you didn't laugh. :-)

I have read that coconut "water" (not the milk) is so perfectly balanced from a human perspective that it can be used as a short term IV instead of plasma.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have read that coconut "water" (not the milk) is so perfectly balanced from a human perspective that it can be used as a short term IV instead of plasma.
    I wouldn't doubt the accuracy of that statement. I just Googled it and found http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674546 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water So thanks... I just learned something!

I would add that a fallen coconut that has sprouted is at its most nutritional stage in life. Crack one of these open and you'll find a huge chunk of meat that'll certainly help fill that empty gut feeling.

Sprouts of any kinds are the same story. It's the time in a plant's life when it's most nutritious.

If I remember correctly the ph is balanced and the water is sterile. I had read that the Japanese had used it during WWII since they didn't have access to plasma after their supplies were cut off on some of the islands. A good way to rehydrate via IV as well if the patient is unconscious and you don't have access to traditional IVs like saline.