Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Survival Scenario

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Fire is more than a tool for the material things (food, water, tools, heat etc), it is also a tool for the mind, it is comforting and can even bring about peace of mind. Fire is so important in so many ways, it is like a well made knife, the uses are limted only to your minds ability.
    Funny you say that. When I was homeless, it was my "TV". Nothing to do before going to bed but sit and poke at the fire a bit before going to sleep. Flames can be so.....mesmerizing.

Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

haha, accidentally in the jungle. Oh my god man, seriously? Tell me how you accidentally end up in a jungle other than shipwreck or plane crash (in both cases you have a hell of a lot more to worry about). What, you're walking down the street and take a left instead of a right and suddenly you're lost in a jungle?

And the comment about ancient man being able to survive without fire just shows how much intelligence you lack. Stay out of the jungles of papau new guinea. Stay out of jungles in general. Stick to populated areas.

Let's not make it personal. Whether we agree of not, comment on the idea not the person.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think that there is a place in a lot of people's minds that tells them that they CAN be dropped naked into anywhere, and survive,
    that is hard wired from 1000's (or million's) of years of trial (live) and error (die).

Seems that the desire to try this out is still there, judging by the amount of interest shown in these scenarios..

Most all these scenarios quickly turn in to.......... "I can survive, naked with just my wits.....ah... and maybe fire....and a knife(new, pick one)...and yeah, yeah, maybe my .45 etc. etc.

My suggestion to you BH is, "Hey, go for it............... and let us know how it went".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    My suggestion to you BH is, "Hey, go for it............... and let us know how it went".
    While part of agrees with what you say here, the other part of me is afraid that he will....with Drastic Irreversible Consequences.

@Basic Human Before you do try anything I strongly encourage you to do Much more research on Survival. Here are some threads you might want to check out.........
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t-Really-Works

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...erness-Numptys!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ival-kits-info.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

You've got it wrong, Camp10. He doesn't just hunt anything, he hunts fish. See?

And by the way. Bear Gryls does this very thing every week so I know it's possible!

Banned

LOL My nick name for the longest time when I managed Pine Lake Trout Club was...... wait for it............. "Trout Hunter," LOLOLOL ......mostly because my Choc Lab at the time would actually POINT on trout in the stream at the club... was actually really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic Human View Post
    I did not mean naked man without clothes, just no tools, backpack, unplanned situation, accidental. Not prepared any equipment, tools or backpack. If you are accidentally in a jungle. My post looks young because I have no experience being in wilderness, Im not 12 years old.
    .......Actually, your post looks young to me (your lacking expression and considerable contradictions within)......
    Your age is of no consequence and IF I were to wake-up and find myself in a tropical jungle unprepared and restrict myself
    to being a fish eating vegan that expects to survive without the aid of fire or tools...Well,...my days would be numbered few.
    .......I think within the concept of survival...One MUST use everything within ones disposal to survive,...otherwise intellegence
    is meaningless....One must adapt and adopt...and for the record, "I ain't crazy about eating bugs either".......................BH51

What can happen if I don't have fire. Chimps didn't die without fire. What if I don't know how to make fire. Chimps eat raw meat, other monkeys, mammals, they are cannibals and beasts and they don't cook their meat. Eskimos eat raw fish. Why do you think that person who does not make fire is absolutely dead, again this has no sence. Example that you can't teach a wild child, like a syrian gazelle boy who had 10 years in the wilderness, imitating gazelles, eating raw plants, did not know to make fire. The risk of death of a wild child is determined by the animal. I have given examples of a way of living, and Tom Hanks in his castaway film practiced for years to make fire, and he was alive for years without having fire. So I think your thoughts are irrational.

You do realize that Tom Hanks was in a movie, don't you? It wasn't real. There certainly is a lot of irrational thoughts in this thread, I will agree with that. However, you can't really expect anyone to take you seriously when we know nothing about you except the few posts you've made. Have you experienced time in a jungle in New Guinea? If you have not then your argument is theoretical at best.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well now hold up, BH....You can't just suddenly change diet without negative consequence...
    You'll have to sterilize food & water and adjust your anatomy to new conditions...Unlike chimps,
    who are accustom to ingesting raw foods, the bacteria and parasites within...and,....the Movie
    starring Tom Hanks, was just a movie...I'm sure he was eating fire cooked cheeseburgers between
    shoots...and that brings us back to health issues within original scenerio...imagine yourself trying
    to survive when you're so sick you can't even walk.............................................. ........BH51

What can happen if I don't have fire. Chimps didn't die without fire. What if I don't know how to make fire. Chimps eat raw meat, other monkeys, mammals, they are cannibals and beasts and they don't cook their meat. Eskimos eat raw fish. Why do you think that person who does not make fire is absolutely dead, again this has no sence. Example that you can't teach a wild child, like a syrian gazelle boy who had 10 years in the wilderness, imitating gazelles, eating raw plants, did not know to make fire. The risk of death of a wild child is determined by the animal. I have given examples of a way of living, and Tom Hanks in his castaway film practiced for years to make fire, and he was alive for years without having fire. So I think your thoughts are irrational.
    BH- please don't come in here referencing Hollywood entertainment as sources for survival. Even the "survival" reality shows are 50-75% BUNK.

Many have already stated it, but try to begin eating things raw and see what happens to your body. One cubic inch of raw steak has over 1000 parasites in it. Fire kills those parasites, it also dries out clothing, and repels certain bugs.

You can come on here and post a question, but unless you have been there and done it, don't question those of us who have.

OK BH here's a little experiment for you to try. For the next month eat just Chicken and fish(no "red meat" at all), for your meats. When a month has passed eat some beef. The sudden change in your diet will give you diarrhea. Oh and I'm talking about COOKED meat, not raw. In a true survival situation diarrhea can kill you just as surely as a bear can. Diarrhea will speed up dehydration, depleting your body of water. Or if you want to try it in another way, go drink water from a mud puddle. This is another good way to pick up nasty things to introduce to your intestines. Just do this here in "civilization" OK? That way you are close to medical treatment should you need it.

oh my god, this is too funny.

In fact, its to the point now that I can only make 2 assumptions. One, I was told not to say anymore. The second, you're a troll. Either way, you should really stop now.

I didn't tell you not to say anything else. I just said direct it at the idea not the person. But it's really kinda hard, ain't it?

I was gonna reply to it earlier asking how do I tell someone that they lack the intelligence for the hypothetical situation to survive sans supplies without it being directed at them? I was trying to respond to the idea....

my last post though, yeah, it was going to be directed AT him, hence my holding back... lol

BH is so out of his depth, I find it unfair (as though he were deficient) and futile to engage him; unless one's just looking for some fun. JMO, of course.
    Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    OK BH here's a little experiment for you to try. For the next month eat just Chicken and fish(no "red meat" at all), for your meats. When a month has passed eat some beef. The sudden change in your diet will give you diarrhea. Oh and I'm talking about COOKED meat, not raw. In a true survival situation diarrhea can kill you just as surely as a bear can. Diarrhea will speed up dehydration, depleting your body of water. Or if you want to try it in another way, go drink water from a mud puddle. This is another good way to pick up nasty things to introduce to your intestines. Just do this here in "civilization" OK? That way you are close to medical treatment should you need it.
    I did a similar experiment many, many times. We quickly run out of fresh fruits and vegtables, along with milk on and extended Submarine patrol. After the first two or three days, your fruit and veggies are either canned or dehydrated. Your milk is powdered. After several months of "nothing fresh" that first glass of real milk sure tastes good. Have a second one and you might not make it to the head in time. Same thing with fruit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I did a similar experiment many, many times. We quickly run out of fresh fruits and vegtables, along with milk on and extended Submarine patrol. After the first two or three days, your fruit and veggies are either canned or dehydrated. Your milk is powdered. After several months of "nothing fresh" that first glass of real milk sure tastes good. Have a second one and you might not make it to the head in time. Same thing with fruit.
    I just don't think that some people realize what a sudden change to your diet will do to your system. (No offense to Vegetarians) But any sudden change to your diet will wreak havoc on your digestive system. I once tried the Vegetarian lifestyle for just one month. When I changed back to an Omnivorous diet it took almost as long for my digestive system to re-adapt.(Ironically I lost MORE weight when I changed back)This was especially worse after I had just ate. Even what we would think are "Minor" changes can debilitate you. Like you say about canned versus fresh, even if it is the same type of item.

It is FAR easier to drop something from your diet than to add something "New", even if you have ate it before. Adding new things will cause intestinal problems that you won't soon forget. So don't think that you can all of a sudden add new things to your diet without a consequence. I LOVE eating Steak, but very rarely do I eat it. When I Do eat steak, even though I have ate hamburger and other "Red Meats" I ALWAYS develop a short lived intestinal problem, usually a day or so in duration. But That is WITH eating "red Meat" already. I'm sure if I dropped all "Red Meat" from my diet and then started eating it I would experience more serious problems.

Banned

What can happen if I don't have fire. .
    Ok, simply, in the scenario you rendered for PNG... YOU WILL DIE WITHOUT FIRE.

I just looked it up, Tom Hanks (An actor in a MOVIE) took 9 days to learn 7 ways to make fire with native materials, NOT YEARS.

Unless you know how to use natural ultra-violet light to purify food and water in the wild, especially a South Pacific Island, you will die without fire.

You keep going OUTSIDE of your scenario, now you are talking about a boy that lived as a Gazelle for 10 years, that is Africa/Mideast/Persia. A whole different environment and eco system, although fire would help, there are other means to purify food and water in those land masses besides fire, although fire would be the most expedient and least waste of body energy.

Staying within your scenario of PNG... REALLY you will need fire to survive anymore than ONE day, it is true, so just suck it up buttercup. It amazes me you cannot see that, or you are too stubborn to listen to people that have experience and know what they are talking about.

I wish you well in your gaining knowledge in how REAL wilderness survival works around the world, until then, please, please, please be aware of your space and time and do NOT get lost.

I am going to refrain from adding anymore comment to this thread, it is futile to argue with someone with no knowledge of survival in any shape or form, it is like arguing with a drunk, you just get knowwhere.