Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Survival Scenario

Basic Human - If you would have posted an introduction it would have helped. If you're not 12 then maybe you're 13. (shrug). Do you have jungles in Serbia?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRat
    But not in freakin' New Guinea!
    Nice, real nice. Now we'll probably have an international incident with the pygmies because you bad mouthed New Guinea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You people who say that you need fire to survive is nonesence. Humans have accidentally found fire and before that they were perfectly fine ate meat raw had shelter without fire usage and they did not had tools, they were perfectly fine not much tools they weren't dead, but they haven't got intelligence that may kill them. Chimps don't make fire. I don't agree with your comment. Ok I will make fire when only necessary, example as said to clean fish from parasites. But I am not a fool to attract bears I would rather eat fish raw, unless it's from amazon river. Amazon river has the most dangerous parasites in the world and the quality of water is bad.

I think Amazon jungles is the most dangerous jungle in the world. It has deadly parasites everywhere, fire ants, bad quality water, many poisonous plants, venomous snakes, it's called hell on earth.

There are forests that look like jungles in national parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic Human View Post
    You people who say that you need fire to survive is nonesence. Humans have accidentally found fire and before that they were perfectly fine ate meat raw had shelter without fire usage and they did not had tools, they were perfectly fine not much tools they weren't dead, but they haven't got intelligence that may kill them. Chimps don't make fire. I don't agree with your comment. Ok I will make fire when only necessary, example as said to clean fish from parasites. But I am not a fool to attract bears I would rather eat fish raw, unless it's from amazon river. Amazon river has the most dangerous parasites in the world and the quality of water is bad.
    Man!! How far back in history are you going? For over 50,000 years man has had tools. Also their systems were more hardy than ours, (We've gotten "soft" in a lot of ways) and STILL suffered from intestinal parasites and such, even AFTER man started using the fire he "found".

Tell you what.... you just go ahead and try it with nothing and you'll get nothing. Well maybe an early grave.

You might want to check into what you are suggesting. Please DON'T take my word for it. Look, REALLY Look into what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter-gatherer

• Early humans made and controlled fire around 500,000 years ago
    From this.....
    http://www.eduplace.com/ss/socsci/ca...LS_6_02_01.pdf
    Tools for the last 120,000 years or so......
    In the desert near the Straits of Hormuz, Hans-Peter Uerpmann of the University of Tubingen, Germany, and his colleagues have excavated stone tools that date from about 125,000 years ago.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...s-thought.html

This is what has made Mankind so successful... his Brains and his tools.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

That's also they reason early man only lived to his 20s, too. Death came early and certain in those days.

I guess it would help if you kinda let us know where you are going with this.
    Primitive man had fire for thousands of years, didn't live long, and by all evidence, didn't really have much going for them except a brain.

Took a long time, thousands of years, of weeding out the "not so bright ones" to get by with little or nothing, and learning the hard way (They died?)

So, if the scenario is that you are dropped in a jungle (weren't born there, whatever jungle you can chose, as we are up to two now), then, to survive you would need to use anything you have at your disposal to get by for even a short time.

You are are already limiting your self by stating that you are a vegan, not so big on tools, or fire, or shelter (sleeping in trees wasn't fun when I was 12, and I doubt it got much better in the last 50 years.

It takes time to learn the way of surviving (where ever you happen to be), but with your stated limitations, I doubt you would make it long enough to live.

If it were me, I think I would try the back yard for a day or two and see how it goes (This actualy worked out pretty well when I was 10-12 or so)

Good luck
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Uhmmm there are NO bears in PNG..... pre fire humans died at an average age of 23 years old, after fire it rose to 37. You really need to get educated on survival before saying another thing. Your scenario is out landish and your inference to no fire is just insane. Your assumptions you will just live off the land free and clear is so out of whack that it is not even funny. People that know are telling you, you will die.....that is education and experiance talking, not people talking out of their arse.

Yes, there are rain forests in the USA, Canada that are very dense but the animal population and the flora and fauna are highly different, OH and there are bears in those. Making a fire does not attract them to your site, it is the food you cook there.... best to cook near far enough away stream and eat there and leave the food far away from your site.

Amazon jungles are much more percentage wise to have you survive than an island jungle. There is more diversity and land mass in the Amazon, but, you had better have real fire in the Amazon....it will not attract the Poison Parakeets nor the 7 legged lizzard. It will however kill all parasites and zoa's that will kill you in hours time. It will also keep the HUGE mosquitos away if you make enough smoke with citrus leaves and fruit skins. At night in the Amazon, it comes alive with all things that will bite, sting, squeeze and carry you away as a snack.

Honestly, you are defending a position that is NOT logical nor true in any fashion. Unless you fall into Utopia or Garden of Eden and even then, you cannot eat the dang apples... your positions will get you dead and quickly.

Wait! What? I'm not supposed to eat the apples? No one told me.

Maybe he's thinking of the Jungle Book. So you know it's possible.

Banned

Rick... you are a tainted man you are.......... what serpent got you to eat the apples......personally, I eat persimmons, apples give me gas something horrible LOL

Banned

* sings "I've got the Bear Necessities, the simple bare necessities........." Even Maguay knows you need fire to survive.....and he was less than 12 years old. I love that King Louis was done my Louis Prima......* rubs back and arse against my door frame and office chair.... now I am doin the bear scratch in my office chair and my daughter laughed LOL She dared call me a silly old hairy man......gasp, I am NOT hairy dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazito View Post
    Come on now wait a minute!!! Let's look at this as a learning opportunity. Let's assume we're dropped off on a deserted island with nothing but health and knowledge. Now what??? Kinda like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.
    But Hanks had tools...and a volleyball.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Basic Human View Post
    If you were here in the US right now...you would totally need fire to survive. Sorry...
    Not to mention, that fire to cook is rather important. Through the generations we've learned that when trying to eat meat uncooked, you body has a harder time digesting it and obtaining enough nutrients from it. Cooking has been proven to be better for you, thus a very important survival tool.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Banned

Fire is more than a tool for the material things (food, water, tools, heat etc), it is also a tool for the mind, it is comforting and can even bring about peace of mind. Fire is so important in so many ways, it is like a well made knife, the uses are limted only to your minds ability.

In case y'all haven't noticed, BH is coming from a whole different mindset that's counter intuitive and illogical. Won't make a bit of a difference what you say. We all know people like that.

And just why were you looking at me when you said that?!

Frankly, I didn't know where to look first.

Basic Human - I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. You said in your original post that you would replace tools with intelligence. Let me offer this advice - KEEP THE TOOLS since it seems that the replacement for them is currently out of stock.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel