Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Survival Scenario

Default Simple Survival Scenario

What if Im a vegan, who hunts fish and eats plants and does not eat mushrooms and bugs. Im in a jungle of Papua New Guinea. I know which plants are edible and which are not. There are no predators. The weather is hot so I don't need clothes, but what about the coldness of the rain? Water can be acquired by rain, streams, or plants. My goal is not to get out of wilderness but stay in it. I don't use any tools, but instead I use my mind. No tools, no backpack, nothing naked man, with only intelligence. I make a shelter on a tree by using leaves and some sticks. I hunt fish with rock traps and hands, but that's not tools because that is not crafted. I eat plants and fish raw, don't make fire and use knife.

My concerns are: Malaria, diseases, insects, venomous snakes, poison

I ask this because I have no experience being in wilderness. I know that this is possible. But what about surviving without any equipment animalistic survival, nothing using just your mind? Example monkeys use their intelligence, but sometimes use tools.

Im asking this question: Does your life depend on your tools and the use of technology? Is it really necessary? I think I can survive without tools, but again I have no experience. Replacing tools with intelligence?

If you don't agree with replacing tools with intelligence, what can I do with the tools, what can I get from the tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Basic Human View Post

If you don't agree with replacing tools with intelligence, what can I do with the tools, what can I get from the tools?
    Using tools is a sign of intelligence. Not either or.

Go read this:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

Then put some clothes on and stop by our Introductions section and use your mind to tell us a bit about yourself. For all we know you're 12 years old (no offense to 12 year olds).

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What if Im a vegan, who hunts fish and eats plants and does not eat mushrooms and bugs. Im in a jungle of Papua New Guinea. I know which plants are edible and which are not. There are no predators. The weather is hot so I don't need clothes, but what about the coldness of the rain? Water can be acquired by rain, streams, or plants. My goal is not to get out of wilderness but stay in it. I don't use any tools, but instead I use my mind. No tools, no backpack, nothing naked man, with only intelligence. I make a shelter on a tree by using leaves and some sticks. I hunt fish with rock traps and hands, but that's not tools because that is not crafted. I eat plants and fish raw, don't make fire and use knife.

My concerns are: Malaria, diseases, insects, venomous snakes, poison

I ask this because I have no experience being in wilderness. I know that this is possible. But what about surviving without any equipment animalistic survival, nothing using just your mind? Example monkeys use their intelligence, but sometimes use tools.

Im asking this question: Does your life depend on your tools and the use of technology? Is it really necessary? I think I can survive without tools, but again I have no experience. Replacing tools with intelligence?

First Bold: Vegans don't eat fish.

Second Bold: Regardless of your opinion, using rocks as a trap is using them as a tool.

You obviously have little intelligence in the subject as well considering even animals use tools. Several species of monkeys use sticks to get termites. Some vultures hold rocks in their beak to break open eggs. Some dolphins use sponge to protect their nose when foraging the sea floor. Elephants can do a multitude of actions with "tools". Otters use rocks to smash shellfish.

As for running naked, animals also use more than just their skin as protection from the elements. Many species use mud. Crustaceans fashion shells.

Basically, your plan = death since you are forgoing any means of protection or any means to make fire or shelter.

Wait a minute. Monkeys use sticks? I've been digging 'em out with my fingers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, those damn monkeys will be running the government soon.... oh wait! Damn....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What if Im a vegan, who hunts
    I got this far and lost interest...does this make me a bad person?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I think we're talking about a really young person here. You can just tell by the reasoning. So I'll cut him/her some slack until further enlightenment.

English may be a second language too. He's coming to us from Serbia.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

BH, ako si iz Srbije, odakle si, bolan? I kako si nabasao ovde?

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Come on now wait a minute!!! Let's look at this as a learning opportunity. Let's assume we're dropped off on a deserted island with nothing but health and knowledge. Now what??? Kinda like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Banned

Cool

Ok... yes the op is young with out a doubt. The scenario at best is futile the way it is presented. Not having training but knowing what plants to eat or even to make a rock trap is fantasy at best. NOT making fire is SURE death in a hurry. Drinking water from a native stream without treating it will get you killed in a matter of hours. Eating fish raw from fresh and/or salt water is very, very risky.

In 1988, I went through a course in the US Navy that was the precursor to SERE. It was basic jungle survival. It was 1 days training and then 14 days with only a knife and the clothes on my back to include a shirt, pants, socks, boots and a boonie hat as well as a web belt and my dog tags. It was on an island very similar to Papua New Guinea and was in the Marianas island chain. My priorities were as follows, hidden from enemy view fire, water, shelter, food and then finally signaling for friendlies. I saved my knife as much as possible and used local material to make various knives, tools, weapons and comfort items. I gathered and caught ANYTHING that would give me nourishment, although I COOKED or boiled everything I found no matter how innocent it may have looked.

At the end of the 14 days, my condition was: I had lost 23 pounds (I did eat fairly well both meat/seafood and veggies/fruit), I had two infections from open wounds I received from scratches or other cuts, I had a rash on my outer thigh that was beginning to bleed and the worse of it all...I had crotch and foot rot, skin just literally falling off in those areas, even though I tried to keep them as dry as possible. It took me 1 month aboard a hospital ship to recover fully before I could go back to active duty with my team.

1. If you are hungry enough, you will eat the arse out of a muddy wild boar, vegan or not.

2. Your three biggest medical issues in the jungle are Infection, skin rot and Malaria. Physical is dehydration, wounds and starvation (even if you seem to be eating/drinking a lot of food/water).

3. Using tools either commercial or made by you will in fact show intelligence. The logic of using tools saves energy, stress and a higher likelyhood of actual survival.

4. If you have only one tool, made or issued, the KNIFE will gain you the highest advantage in a survival situation if you know how to use it. I looked up the geologic and plant/animal record of Papua New Guinea. There is obsidian, flint and various other volcanic minerals, seashells, razor wood, coconut husks and bamboo of all sorts in both the interior and coastal areas. All of those materials can make very effective knives/tools if you know how to work them without tools from the get go. The uses of a knife in survival are litterally endless, limited only to your intelligence and/or learned knowledge.

5. Many of the edible plants and fruits there have to be processed to make them safe. If you think you are just going to walk into a mango grove and pig out, you have much to learn. The areas with edible foods in Papua New Guinea or any habited island are very well known by the native population there and they guard their CROPS with their lives. You steal from them, you yourself will become dinner and your head on a spike at the chiefs hut. They will not care that you are in a survival situation or what congressman you may know.

6. On TV and in movies people survive very well in some situations because they have had countless takes and re-takes at what looks very easy. Even the so called pro's like Les Stroud, Cody Lundane, Dave Matulla and so many others are allowed do overs and re-takes, they also have a back up medical/rescue team available. If you are in a REAL survival situation, you usually get ONE chance to do something right or risk injury and/or death........ Being thrust into a situation of survive, thrive or die without even basic knowledge of fire making, use of native materials for shelter, food & water gathering and weapons.....I'd give you maybe at best 3 days of running around naked before you either die from ignorance and/or a combo of stupidity and bad choices...... I believe that is stretching it...... Thinking you will just drink the rain.... from what, just stand out there with your mouth open while it rains...you will need a vessal of some kind...various plants can excrete poisons when wet, do you know which ones, do you know how to process the water that has rolled down from plant leaves and or vines that have poisons and/or inedible bugs in it?

7. I actually spit my coffee when you said you will just make a shelter in the trees from leaves and twigs......YOU better learn about ANTS. You better know what trees and plant life does NOT have ants. You will not see them during the day but you will feel them at night.

All in all, very remote scenario, survivable yes, but only with the knowledge and training one must have to get through that scene. This all just in my humble opinion Steps down from my RANT box.

What if Im a vegan..............
    Native Americam word for vegan "Bad hunter"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Native Americam word for vegan "Bad hunter"
    In Lakota that would be "loyacin" meaning "You are hungry".
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Banned

LOL Hunter, that actually made me really laugh out loud.

I would share the need for the health concerns foremost within
    the scenerio painted...Yes, I think our human intellegence would
    be the key to any chance of survival...And I would use it to aid
    in gathering food and shelter construction as needed...I do not
    believe we as human would survive as we are creatures keyed to
    learn quickly to compensate for our limited capabilities...Our first
    tool manufacture will likely be extensions of our arms..........BH51

I did not mean naked man without clothes, just no tools, backpack, unplanned situation, accidental. Not prepared any equipment, tools or backpack. If you are accidentally in a jungle. My post looks young because I have no experience being in wilderness, Im not 12 years old.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I did not mean naked man without clothes, just no tools, backpack, unplanned situation, accidental. Not prepared any equipment, tools or backpack. If you are accidentally in a jungle. My post looks young because I have no experience being in wilderness, Im not 12 years old.
    If I am in a jungle it IS an accident! Been there, did not like it and I am not going back!

If I am in New Guinea I was kidnapped and taken there by force, not by accident!

It may be unbleavable but many of us have spent out lives preparing NOT to be caught in this situation, accidental or not. We wear belts and boot laces made from 550 cord and carry multitools on or belts at all times. We do strange thngs like carrying three ways to make fire, a knife and signal gear on our key chains.

Then, in case that dosen't work out, we learn to work bone, stone and shell into tools, make fire without matches and work natural fiber into cordage, build snares, make weapons, fasion shelters and cook bugs.

But not in freakin' New Guinea!

Yes, people can stumble around in the woods and live on roots and road killed animals for a time. It has been done. But if they are not rescued they will eventually surcumb to lack of shelter, lack of food or disease. Having skills and tools extends your time frame. The difference between staying alive and thriving is knowing how to make the tools it takes to thrive.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-10-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Basic Human: If you have NO skills, you will die, simple as that. Your intelliegnce will only get you so far until it needs to be put to practical use. Like I said, No fire, no LIFE.