Thread: "Survival Vest EDC Items"

Default "Survival Vest EDC Items"

OK as the title suggests these are some items that are in my vest I wear every day during Winter.(I have a fishing vest that I use in warmer weather. The Winter Vest is pretty heavily Oil stained, but as it is worn (Mostly) under a jacket, and usually only on the farm or in the woods it isn't too big of a deal. The price was right anyways for the purpose,($5) as it is intended for added warmth and utility, not looks. I may even Dye it so it is less noticeable. A darker brown or black even. Anyways....

The Winter Vest:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Summer Vest: A normal fishing Vest

And the Items:

They are, from top to bottom: "Burt's Bees wax" lip balm, Emergency whistle, 2 containers of PJ cotton balls, a couple pieces of hard candy, Firesteel w/striker, Nylon string and a Cord lock, My old pocketknife that is carried ALWAYS, no matter what else I may have or wear.

__________________________________________________ _______

Now here I need some help. I have been carrying most of these knives but want to cut down on some of the weight. The CRKT M-21 will stay (Very top of picture). Also the little folding pliers just clips on the "D" ring. However I don't need to carry all the Swiss Army Knives although I would like to keep two. They all have different blades/functions. Also the Mag-Lite solitaire and Keychain light will stay in the Vest. Also any other suggestions as to what I might include. I know I will include some Aluminum Foil as soon as I open the roll I just bought.

Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Where are the band aids at?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Where are the band aids at?
    They got washed.... oops! I do have a small Personal FAK that I can put in there(I think it'll fit one of the larger pockets). Maybe add some stuff to it. Also my hand sanitizer with snap link isn't shown either.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Why do you need help? It seems to me you have it thought out pretty well. You are a knife carrying machine. I carry two or three and wonder sometimes why I have all the redundancy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

A note about your hard candy....I too prefer the sugar free types - and it sounds like where you are using your vest that the candy is just for a little treat along the way. For those that carry candy as part of their "kit" they may want to consider candy with sugar because of the little "pick me up" that the sugar can provide.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I prefer those bite sized tootsie pops. They don't melt when it's hot. They will, however, dissolve if they get wet. Don't ask how I know that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well Really the Werthers is the only Sugar free Candy. I was thinking that a Hard candy could help prevent Hypothermia. I rarely eat any Candy at all. So that and relief from thirst, is the only reasons I even have candy there.
    Why do you need help? It seems to me you have it thought out pretty well.
    Thanks for the vote of Confidence. However, I feel as if I might be overlooking something.(You know that "Nagging feeling" you get when you leave the house on a trip) Also I was hoping to have some input on which 2 SAK's would be best, in others opinions. I have a small waist pack that also carries some more of the same stuff and some other stuff as well. Also I am in mainly a Rural area so probably don't need as much "Stuff" as say Sourdough or Dogman might need. Although I am thinking about one of those "Disposable" Space Blankets. What I really have been looking for is a "Photographers Vest", But the Goodwill store hasn't had one...yet.

This is just my suggestion based on what I carry every day, but you could cut down on several of the Swiss Army knives with just one top shelf Leatherman. I carry a Charge TTi, and a Benchmade folder...I have never wanted for anything else.

Just my .02 cents

maybe a compass and a road flare. The last flare I tested lasted close to 15 minutes. If a fella can't get a fire started with a flare like that in 15 minutes it may not be possible. now to find some mini flares.

does the bottom SAK have a locking blade? if so that's the one I would hang onto. I would also hook a lanyard to it and hook it to my person. I think some guys call them dummy cords, probably after me cause I've been a dummy and lost a knife.

do ya need the burts bees if ya already have the Vaseline cotton balls?

speaking of multi tools when I get a roundtoit I'm going to get a leatherman crunch. the vise grip capabilities of this tool just seems real handy.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    maybe a compass and a road flare..... now to find some mini flares.I have a small Silva "zipper pull" compass w/thermometer I can add. I keep it on the Belt bag/waist pack

does the bottom SAK have a locking blade? yes it does.It'll most likely stay, however it doesn't have all the "Bells and whistles" some of the others have.

do ya need the burts bees if ya already have the Vaseline cotton balls?Well for chapped lips/wind/sun burned face I thought it would be easier to use, although a PJ ball would also work.
    This is a kinda' WIP sort of thing. Some of the stuff I have had in there has been taken out. One thing I am looking for is a GI canteen w/ cup and cover. I know Rick (Safezone LLC) has some of the cups and a canteen cup stove too, But I need to find the canteen and cover first. I would like to modify the cover, by adding a strap so it would be easier access, and able to hang on a branch or ridgepole of a shelter etc.

Default Vest

Might consider M&M's. Keep some in a vehicle to munch and also for walking. Best part is hot weather and freezing temperatures doesn't seem to effect them.

OK - here's some more suggestions. Ditch three of the SAKs (you always have some on your belt or in your pocket in addition to the vest anyway). Add a signal mirror. Foil can be handy, but really there are better options. It does not make the best signaling device, nor does it make the best pot. Add a small water container for boiling - or a Platypus collapsible canteen and a small water purifying straw. You said you had the FAK covered. Cell phone? Add a couple of contractor bags (orange if you can find them). I like more cordage than you've got showing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

This is my vest as well as my grab and go bob contents (two sep but redundant grab and go). Add a belt military cold weather canteen, the cup and the cup stove in the cover. Also add the Ruger 22/45, also on the belt.

I have 5 tiers of kits from pocket to very large, all ready at a moments notice. The vest and BOB are my small and medium kits.

1. Coleman Pen Fishing rod/reel
    2. Military fishing kit/water tablets/first aid
    3. Dried Sponge
    4. Tube Tent - Quick n easy
    5. 5' of tinfoil folded
    6. Survival booklet - something to read and relax
    7. Poncho
    8. Gerber Strike Force with Wet Tinder in the handle, there are also hurricane matches in the handle
    9. Bag of Quick Tinder 25
    10. 50 feet of artificial sinew & safety pins
    11. Orange Duct Tape
    12. leather lace
    13. 20' Copper wire
    14. Compass
    15. folding hack/wood saw
    16. Cold Steel SRK
    17. German issued pocket knife
    18. Diamond knife sharpener
    19. Small bundel of fat wood 4"x1/4" each stick
    20. MK 31 Pen Flare Launcher and military foilage pent flares day/night
    21. Gerber multitool
    22. Leatherman tools and socket
    23. Metal spit that also has a arrowhead that attaches
    24. NAA .22lr Mini Revolver & a pack of .22lr sub sonic ammo
    25. 1950's Apache Pen Flare Launcher, in the kit are smoke, shot #6, flare, .25 acp barrel 4" and a pack of .25acp ammo. These were a cool little kit made for pilots and boaters. It will fire all military pen flares and accessories as well as shoot pistol .25acp ammo within a included barrel, single shot, fairly accurate.
    26. Ruger 22/45 - 2 mags and 1 box of Stinger Ammo
    27. Military cold weather canteen, cup and the canteen stove in the cover.

I have found this pretty much covers me for 72 hours in MY area. In my area there is more than enough food, water and places to hide away to have hidden camp fires. This kit covers, shelter, food gathering, water, warmth, fire and signaling.

If I had to grab just one item from the kit, it would be the SRK Knife... with it I can gather food, water, shelter, make first aid items and most important, I can make fire with it.