Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost:..... NAKED 11 days in "ALASKA"

Well, I was a little sleep, food and water deprived when I got myself lost. After that, it started raining, so I slept. My main focus was water and trying to stay as warm as possible. I couldn't find the road, so I wanted to find a place that I could see the sky. In case people were looking for me or a small plane flew low. The best place was down by the river, but there was a lot of vegetation when I would go down. I finally found an open spot where the miners had some equipment, and I camped out for what must have been 2 or 3 days. At one point, I had a feeling I was about to be rescued, so I shifted positions. Not much longer, I saw a tree move, and 2 men appear. They called the police, and the National Guard flew me out.

I really don't mind talking about it. It was not traumatic for me, I never paniced (well, I started to at one point when it was raining and I started to slip into hypothermia, but I pulled myself out of it. That is actually when I ditched my cotten clothing). If you have specific questions, feel free to ask away.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You should be advised that I have spent the last ten years wandering that country looking for "naked" 30'something women.

omg I was waiting for that to come up in conversation

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    I really don't mind talking about it. It was not traumatic for me, I never paniced (well, I started to at one point when it was raining and I started to slip into hypothermia, but I pulled myself out of it. That is actually when I ditched my cotten clothing). If you have specific questions, feel free to ask away.
    That's exactly the perspective I was thinking about. We often talk about the dangers of wearing cotton in cold, wet climates. For many, it is counter-intuitive to think that you can stay warmer without the clothing on. Glad you figured that out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ok, several commercial rafting parties floated past you, early in your experience and you waved with only one hand, like saying "HI". Why did you not wave both arms, and yell, "HELP".......?

I for one appreciate your openness and candor. It's one thing to talk about surviving in extreme conditions but something else entirely to have done it. Your experience and knowledge are head and shoulders above a lot of experts that have never been there.

What prompted you to be out there to begin with? I'm curious why you didn't have some type of survival gear with you at the time. I would also like to know what kind of wilderness experience you had prior to this unfortunate episode.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote - “Third Man phenomenon, in which people report sensing a ghostly presence during extreme physical and mental duress.”

Did you experience such? You’re a superstar in a place like this, take a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Ok, several commercial rafting parties floated past you, early in your experience and you waved with only one hand, like saying "HI". Why did you not wave both arms, and yell, "HELP".......?
    WHAT? No rafting parties floated by me. There was a lot, a lot of misinformation in papers while I was gone!

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPick View Post
    Quote - “Third Man phenomenon, in which people report sensing a ghostly presence during extreme physical and mental duress.”

Did you experience such? You’re a superstar in a place like this, take a bow.
    You just gave me chills. Yes, I experienced it. I called it my Presence. Stayed with me until I found my waiting spot, and then just went away.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That's exactly the perspective I was thinking about. We often talk about the dangers of wearing cotton in cold, wet climates. For many, it is counter-intuitive to think that you can stay warmer without the clothing on. Glad you figured that out.
    I figured it out when I saw the steam coming from the cotten clothing and realized it was my body heat escaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I for one appreciate your openness and candor. It's one thing to talk about surviving in extreme conditions but something else entirely to have done it. Your experience and knowledge are head and shoulders above a lot of experts that have never been there.

What prompted you to be out there to begin with? I'm curious why you didn't have some type of survival gear with you at the time. I would also like to know what kind of wilderness experience you had prior to this unfortunate episode.
    Nothing like experience as a teacher. I had no skills or training, other than general hiking. I was not planning on being out there, which is why I had no gear. Long story short, I ran out of gas, got a ride ot the main road, walked about 5 milres, couldn't get another ride, so I walked back toward the car. I thought I saw a shortcut go through the woods. I realized it wasn't, turned, but got lost. Pretty boring, actually.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amy, In my opinion, having studied that area, it is highly likely that your 12 days was the longest continuous period any human has spent in that country alone in the last 110 years. I think that area is the most unexplored chunk of land in Alaska.

Probably so. It is beautiful though. I have been back several times, and know the area like the back of my hand. Believe it or not, there are times I really miss it.

I was going to ask if you've ever been back. Nice to see that you have.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    Probably so. It is beautiful though. I have been back several times, and know the area like the back of my hand. Believe it or not, there are times I really miss it.
    Well, I'll be happy to buy you breakfast at the Discovery Café, in Hope, Alaska any time. I think there are songs about you, by Hobo Jim, I am not sure on that. Your folklore for sure.

Sunrise, Alaska (Mile 7 Hope Road) needs an establishment called: "Blue Tarp Amy's Bar & Grill". The tourist would love it.

My car ran out of gase at about mile 11 on the Hope cutoff. songs about me? People still talk about me? Not sure if that gives me an ego trip, or freaks me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy
    Pretty boring, actually.
    Maybe. But there are a 1000 lessons in that paragraph. There are some very experienced folks on here and we'd all like to think, "Can't happen to me!". The truth is you only need to change one variable in an outing and it suddenly is you. Change the weather, the time of day, your health or just miss a turn. It sure doesn't take much.

In hind sight, what would you have done differently to prevent what happened AND what do you wish you would have had with you? Was there anything you kept thinking, "I sure wish I had...." (other than a cell phone).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You do know that the same thing happened with another woman two years later.......? And an other unreported incident with a lady at mile post 2 in the dead of winter, just two years, maybe three years ago. They brought her to my house, hypothermia, soaking wet, and -12* Below, she had slipped or jumped into the river. Something about that river and young women.

Wow, no didn't know. strange.

I wish I would have asked the construction workers for help before I got lost. I wish I would have seen their satelite phone.

I had a cell phone. No reception and a dead battery. I wish I had a tent. food would have been nice, but all things considered, it wasn't the worst aspect.

In all actuality, though, I am glad it happened. I would never do anything like that intentionally, but for me, it was a positive experience and something I will have with me for the rest of my life.

Oh, and that river is really cold. I mean really cold. I wanted to cross back over, but I couldn't stand the thought of being in it a third time. Yep, three times.