Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peterson Edible Wild Plants book

Default Peterson Edible Wild Plants book

I got this book the other day:http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Ed...sr=8-2-catcorr
    It seems like a good reference book. Has anyone used this book? What do you use?

Yes, indeedy. Excellent reference book. In the back it lists the type of environment that you will find selected plants and the time of year. Great book.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm looking forward to spring and being able to check it out.

Rick +1 I use that one s well as the Wild Medicinals.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I have it. It's okay. I have a few others I would prefer however...
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Rick +1 I use that one s well as the Wild Medicinals.
    That looks good too:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...C20N90N34155PR

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    I have it. It's okay. I have a few others I would prefer however...
    What're they?

Don't do what I did. I tagged about a dozen plants on the edge of a farmers field near my house. I was watching June, July and part of August. I have not seen this field mowed until the middle of this last August. LOL

Didn't loose much.

Wild Mustard, Bee Balm, Mullen, a few others.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

I like the Peterson's Field Guides. I find them very helpful.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For the most part I stick with John Kallas's "Edible Wild Pants". He touches on medicinals found in the wild and most are simple and safe enough to use comfortably.
    Another one that I use, is the good old "Rodale's Encyclopedia of Herbs."
    Because there are so many "domestic" herbs out here that also grow wild, it's a shelf saver for me.
    I just don't like trying to FIND something in "Peterson Edible Wild Plants". It's just too difficult to navigate when you're on the go, IMO.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    For the most part I stick with John Kallas's "Edible Wild Pants". He touches on medicinals found in the wild and most are simple and safe enough to use comfortably.
    Another one that I use, is the good old "Rodale's Encyclopedia of Herbs."
    Because there are so many "domestic" herbs out here that also grow wild, it's a shelf saver for me.
    I just don't like trying to FIND something in "Peterson Edible Wild Plants". It's just too difficult to navigate when you're on the go, IMO.
    Thanks. I'll have to give those a look. I'm developing a pretty good library.

There are a couple of laminated multi-fold pamphlets you might also like. They are water resistant so you can take them to the field without too much worry. You can find them at Barnes and Noble or any book store. They are by the Pocket Naturalist. One is called Medicinal Plants. An Introduction to Familiar Widespread Species and the other is Edible Wild Plants. An Introduction to Familiar North American Species. They were $5.95 when I picked mine up a few years back. They are probably $6 and change today. I've found them really handy and a good resource.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are a couple of laminated multi-fold pamphlets you might also like. They are water resistant so you can take them to the field without too much worry. You can find them at Barnes and Noble or any book store. They are by the Pocket Naturalist. One is called Medicinal Plants. An Introduction to Familiar Widespread Species and the other is Edible Wild Plants. An Introduction to Familiar North American Species. They were $5.95 when I picked mine up a few years back. They are probably $6 and change today. I've found them really handy and a good resource.
    I've got the edible plants pamphlet. How are your playing cards from safe zone?

PM sent.....

Another VERY good book on Wild Edibles is Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods by Thomas Elias and Peter A. Dykeman. It breaks them down by seasons.
    WarEagle told me about that one and The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer. This second one I don't have, but it is on my "wish list". LOL
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

John Kallas' book is great, but only covers greens for the most part. Steve brill's book is good, and Sam Thayer's books are a-ok too. I use Peterson's in the field, but it always leaves me feeling unsure and I have to resort to other books and online references to be 100% sure, it is my only true field guide however.

??? the pm didn't arrive.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reb, the cards are super fun. I got some and I flip through them anytime I'm in the truck taking a break. Helpful because they point out particular features. We play made-up matching games with them, but you need someone who knows a few of the plants and their families to play (still working out the quirks lol)
    I have the two Peterson plant books and they are good, especially the back part where you can make notes, and the seasons and habitats.

I recommend getting the National Wildlife Federation "wildflowers" book for identification. the peterson guides are great reference for plants you can identify, but some of the descriptions on them are a little sketchy. I also use a "Weeds of Georgia" book that has many pictures of each plant, and VERY good descriptions, with notes on toxicity. DETAILS are far more important than edibility.

I repeat: "It makes no difference whether a plant is edible if you cannot confidently identify it."

Now that you have that book, try to identify this one!

If you are new to plant identification, assume NONE are edible!

Since this one is blooming right now in my area, maybe it should be plant of the month?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post

Now that you have that book, try to identify this one!

If you are new to plant identification, assume NONE are edible!

Since this one is blooming right now in my area, maybe it should be plant of the month?
    Is it chickweed?

I agree Chickweed.
    Karl