Thread: Mag-lite, resurrection?

Default Mag-lite, resurrection? Up-dated 11/30/10

Not real sure if "fixing something" fits into the "Making Stuff" area, but I have sorta been working on a older Mag-lite that had badly corroded batteries.

Really made me sick, as I do check them real regular, and have had this one for a long time.

Anyway,
    Step one, get old batteries out.
    Clamp barrel in vise, unscrew base with pipe wrench.

Soaked in vinegar, screwed long deck screw into base of the first battery, clamped the head of the screw into a vise and pulled/worked the first one out.
    Same with second.

Step two, clean inside of barrel w/vinegar on stiff bristle bottle brush, then brass brush. Wipe out with rag.
    Let dry.

Step three, Clean out threads/spring w/brass brush.

Step four, Put in fresh batteries, wipe inside of barrel and threads with dielectric grease.

Back to work................for now.
    It has been my experience that once the aluminum starts to corrode, you have a heck of a time stopping it.
    Tried to order a new barrel from Mag-lite by, haven't seen anything back yet, appears maybe "no longer available"

Check your flashlights.............................!
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-30-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Updated
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had a battery swell in a mag-light. I was at a place without any tools available and I can assure you it was a hard job getting the battery out. So, I feel your pain H-63.

I had a 3 D-cell Mag do the same thing. Hope you have better luck than I did.
    I leave the batteries out of the lights that are in my kits and BOBs until I need to use them, but I leave them in my every day work light and headlamp. I keep the batteries in a small water-proof bag.

Pete - I converted to the same thing for the same reason. I never did get my mini mag going and for the cost I just bought another one. I did harvest all the parts that I could. Aluminum and acid don't go very well together.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Pete - I converted to the same thing for the same reason. I never did get my mini mag going and for the cost I just bought another one. I did harvest all the parts that I could. Aluminum and acid don't go very well together.
    Sadly I agree........like I said, fixed....for now.
    I haven't had good luck on long term, staying fixed, either.

Follow up................
    I did receive a response from Mag-lite:

Quote>
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in Maglite products.

Unfortunately we do not warranty battery leakage however if the cells that leaked were Duracell, Eveready or Ray-o-vac, we will repair or replace it for you at no charge since we carry a contract with these 3-battery companies. If it is not one of these brands, then we would charge 12.00 plus tax for a 'C' and 'D', 22.00 for LED starting with DL in front of serial number, 8.00 for a Mini-Maglite replacement and 18.00 for Mini-Maglite LED plus tax. We recommend that you ship it UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Our address is: : Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. Include a letter with your name, address, phone number and description of problem. (the Rechargeable Maglite does not fall into this replacement offer).
    Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Esther Soto
    Customer Service
    <Quote

Nice to know someone still stands behind their products.

As I said, it is still working, but seeing as how the barreries were Everyready's, I may just send it in........DIDN'Tsee anything about sending in the batteries?? I do still have them.

Even though these batteries had tested 1.562v with the meter, I do believe that they have been around awhile and the metal cases have started to be eaten up from the inside.
    Something to think about for long term storage....................
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-28-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: splin' and corrected the "did"... to "didn't"........

Well Woohoo! I'm in luck. It goes in the mail tomorrow!! Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't think I'd ship leaking batteries in the mail. You just know that some low level bureaucrat would trip all over themselves if they came across that. Maybe some pictures of the batteries would suffice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't think I'd ship leaking batteries in the mail. You just know that some low level bureaucrat would trip all over themselves if they came across that. Maybe some pictures of the batteries would suffice.
    I corrected it, ......didn't, see anything about sending batteries.

Hey Hunter!!! I great big thank you!!! I sent in my mini mag light and received a brand new one in the mail today. Had you not posted, it would have languished in the junk drawer with the rest of the .... well .... junk. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey Hunter!!! I great big thank you!!! I sent in my mini mag light and received a brand new one in the mail today. Had you not posted, it would have languished in the junk drawer with the rest of the .... well .... junk. Thanks!!!
    Fantastic, Good to lnow someone does back their stuff.

I had waited for an answer about shipping batteries....didn't get an answer, so just had mailed out mine on the 12th.

We will see.

Just a note, Good news, to let y'all know that when I arrived home today from "The Place" there was a box waiting for me with a new 2-D-cell Maglite in it.
    Just good to know that some companies still back their stuff.
    Bad news, when I got out to "The Place" found one of my Mini mags had bad batteries in it as well.
    Gonna try and save it as it's not too bad, but if not, I will send it back as well.

FYI, I just recieved 2 Mini-Maglite's replacements, that I have sent in, found bad batteries in my Daylight saving time, check.

There was a letter and listing of Warrenty Center's included as well.
    http://www.maglite.com/repaircenters.asp

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    FYI, I just recieved 2 Mini-Maglite's replacements, that I have sent in, found bad batteries in my Daylight saving time, check.

There was a letter and listing of Warrenty Center's included as well.
    http://www.maglite.com/repaircenters.asp
    I will be looking through my junk drawers tonight!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I will be looking through my junk drawers tonight!
    If they get that bad, just throw them out. There's nothing worse than uncomfortable junk underwear.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If they get that bad, just throw them out. There's nothing worse than uncomfortable junk underwear.
    Pretty sure if they took Hunter's and Rick's they'll take mine!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson