Thread: Qustion on this for Knife making

Default Qustion on this for Knife making

I Have a Old Bumper off My 81 Datsun 720 Pick-up That I Got for Free ,I'm Working on restorning it for My 10 Year old .He's Wanting it As he Says Gored out for Hunting .But that's another Post .The Bumper is All Steel Heavy Gauge And I Cut the Top off of the Bumper it's Diamond Plate .So As the Pics Show Could I Soften the Metal in a Fire and Make some Knives Out of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I doubt this is a high carbon steel. I dont know this for sure but it would surprise me to find out it could be hardened. Cut off a small corner and heat it to non magnetic and drop it in water. See if it hardened by putting it in a vise and bending it. If it breaks rather then bends, look at the grain structure of the steel...a water quench should make it stand out pretty well. If you see large grain and it snapped easily (instead of bending) Then you might have something useful for a knife. I've drilled through plenty of bumpers so annealing it wont be necessary in order to work it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    I Have a Old Bumper off My 81 Datsun 720 Pick-up That I Got for Free ,I'm Working on restorning it for My 10 Year old .He's Wanting it As he Says Gored out for Hunting .But that's another Post .The Bumper is All Steel Heavy Gauge And I Cut the Top off of the Bumper it's Diamond Plate .So As the Pics Show Could I Soften the Metal in a Fire and Make some Knives Out of it.
    Lol! I have the same Datsun, My toy... we could exchange info on that project. Camp is right though it is mild steel, not what you want for knifemaking.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson