Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Snow Is a Comin'.

Default Big Snow Is a Comin'.

Looks like we're in for some winter weather starting tomorrow. A 10-12 inch snow is quite a bit for us but I'm more worried about the ice. I live in the ice zone....for now.

Issued by The National Weather Service
    Indianapolis, IN
    7:11 am EST, Sun., Jan. 30, 2011

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES IS EXPECTED TO PUSH ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA ON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. A VARIETY OF WINTER WEATHER IS EXPECTED WITH THIS SYSTEM.

AS THE SYSTEM APPROACHES... COLD AIR WILL BE IN PLACE AT THE SURFACE... HOWEVER VERY WARM AND MOIST AIR WILL BE PULLED INTO THE SYSTEM ON SOUTHERLY WINDS... RESULTING IN WARM AIR ALOFT. THIS WILL RESULT IN FREEZING RAIN OR SLEET ACROSS MUCH OF CENTRAL INDIANA LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. AS THE LOW PASSES TO OUR EAST... ALL OF THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW.

AT THIS TIME... NORTH AND WEST CENTRAL INDIANA... INCLUDING THE CITIES OF KOKOMO AND LAFAYETTE LOOK TO REMAIN COLD ENOUGH THAT ALL OF THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD FALL IN THE FORM OF SNOW. HOWEVER SNOWFALL MAY BE HEAVY AND SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES MAY BE POSSIBLE BY WEDNESDAY EVENING.

FARTHER SOUTH... INCLUDING THE CITIES OF TERRE HAUTE... INDIANAPOLIS... BLOOMINGTON... NEW CASTLE AND MUNCIE... WARM AIR IS EXPECTED TO BE PRESENT AND PRECIPITATION MAY FALL AS SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN. SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE... WITH ICE ACCUMULATION AMOUNTS NEAR ONE INCH. FURTHERMORE... STRONG WINDS GUSTING UP TO 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THIS COMBINATION COULD RESULT IN WIDESPREAD DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES.

UNCERTAINTY STILL EXISTS WITH THE PRECISE TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM.

ADJUSTMENTS IN THE TRACK IN LATTER FORECASTS MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ON AREAS THAT MAY RECEIVE FREEZING RAIN OR SNOW. STAY ALERT TO THE LATEST FORECASTS FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THIS STRONG DEVELOPING WINTER STORM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ice is bad but snow is fun! Dont forget the milk and bread and you should be fine!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Oooh. Dang. Better head to the store. Eggs, too. Gotta have eggs. I sure hope my wife doesn't give all that stuff away again!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

There Goes your Internet again ! better "Get yer Post on" !

And every other junk food known to man as when it snows and socks you in for a day or two you just want to eat anything that is not nailed down. At least that is how it seems at my house.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BornthatWay View Post
    And every other junk food known to man as when it snows and socks you in for a day or two you just want to eat anything that is not nailed down. At least that is how it seems at my house.
    Heck, i do that all the time

Man I hope this doesn't turn into another Ice storm like the one that paralyzed parts of Kentucky a couple of years ago! There are still broken limbs hung in some trees now from that storm.(and worse in some woods)
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Ha! Just came in from planting the garden! Ya'll have fun!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned

Me thinks Rick may have lost his connection again,, he sure disappeared in a hurry this morning,,

My wife is getting antsy, Ricks storm is enroute to us by Tuesday or Wednesday and they are calling for "significant" ice. and yes, we are up to our a** is eggs, and milk. This time I talked her into baking bread, so she will hold off until we are "desperate " Have gas stove and oven , and a small kerosene heater for heat. Going to put all the vehicles in the garage and workshop and "chill". I learned a little trick from our last ice storm. We have alot of trees, so when I have to go out, I wear a hard hat, got wacked in the head once with ice and figured an ounce of prevention. Also, have a couple good books so I am ready and waiting
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I wish we could get some snow down here in Southern Indiana it seems like all the good snows just miss us to the north ...i like snow in case you can't tell
    A Government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away when it wants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Neither your Liberty, your money, nor your property are safe while Congress is in Session.

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

They're predicting 12 -24 here along the western side of Illinois. I just hope we've missed out on the ice, I heard St. Louis was hit hard with ice. Yes? No? Maybe?
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Ha! Just came in from planting the garden! Ya'll have fun!
    ARGH! Nothing like rubbing it in us Northernerns faces. LOL

And Rick, this storm is HUGE! It has hit people I know across the country, Colorado to here in Northern NH and looping right up into Canada. We are getting 18-26" also.
    ..on top of 3-4' on the ground already. It is freaking Spring yet?! My god!

As Poco said, freezing rain is what I dread, would not want to revisit the ice storm of 2009 again. YIKES!
    "I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
    -Henry David Thoreau

"A gardners best revenge is to eat the weeds."

Quote Originally Posted by themoondancer811 View Post
    ARGH! Nothing like rubbing it in us Northernerns faces. LOL

And Rick, this storm is HUGE! It has hit people I know across the country, Colorado to here in Northern NH and looping right up into Canada. We are getting 18-26" also.
    ..on top of 3-4' on the ground already. It is freaking Spring yet?! My god!

As Poco said, freezing rain is what I dread, would not want to revisit the ice storm of 2009 again. YIKES!
    If it's any consolation - we're going to get three or four days of rain from the system. Of course, it's 70 degrees today.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We had about a 1/4 inch of ice overnight. Things have stopped for the moment and are supposed to fire back up later today. They are still calling for 1-2 inches of ice and 40 mph winds this afternoon. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We had about a 1/4 inch of ice overnight. Things have stopped for the moment and are supposed to fire back up later today. They are still calling for 1-2 inches of ice and 40 mph winds this afternoon. Should be fun.
    Look at as a gas saver Rick,if you need to go somewhere,just roll out onto the road,turn off the motor,and let the wind push you where you need to go,and TRY (and PRAY) that you can keep the wheels turned in in the direction you want,coming home could be outta the question though,unless the wind changes direction!

Be safe,STAY HOME! Good luck to all of you dealing with this mess,I am about 20 miles south of the line that RIck is getting,just getting rain here for now.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Take some pics Rick ! Be careful, I am glad you are prepared in case the power goes !

Blog Entries

Stay safe evreyone, it's going to be a bit breezy and wet over here the next day or two.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Saw this, forecast near my brother an Sisters.

(WSYR-TV, Syracuse) Central New York is in line for a couple of snow events today and tomorrow. The first shot of snow has already arrived this morning and will impact your commute to work and school this morning. The snow may briefly come down heavy at times, especially from the Syracuse area south and east. The snow will become lighter during the afternoon with total accumulations of 2-4” in the Syracuse area with some higher totals to the south. After the snow ends, there may even be some freezing drizzle this afternoon, which could make things even more slippery.

After the break in the snow this afternoon and evening, more snow will re-develop later tonight as a new and stronger storm approaches us from the southwest. This storm will spread a new area of snow into Central New York after midnight tonight. This storm will have more moisture to work with so snowfall rates Wednesday morning will be greater than what we’ll experience Tuesday morning. The combination of heavy snow plus the timing will mean a likely difficult morning commute Wednesday. While we expect mostly snow on Wednesday there is a chance that areas to the south of Syracuse may have some sleet mix in during the middle of the day.

While the snow will continue Wednesday afternoon we feel the heaviest of the snow will shift east of Syracuse and central New York. Snowfall totals from this second round of snow Tuesday night & Wednesday will likely exceed one foot, with some areas potentially seeing close to 2 feet of snow.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Here's our forecast.
    We've already had 61 inches this winter season and have at least 30 inches snow pack now.

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST
    THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...WESTERN AND NORTH CENTRAL
    MASSACHUSETTS...AS WELL AS INTERIOR ESSEX COUNTY IN
    MASSACHUSETTS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY. AN ADDITIONAL 8 TO
    12 INCHES OF SNOW EXPECTED VERY LATE TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.