Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your oldest piece of Kit/Gear ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Hmmm...... It isn't exactly what I'd really call "gear" but I'll say my old savage centennial model .410 double barrel that my father bought me back in 1972,
    sorry not a savage it's a stevens. Got to thinking and didn't sound right so called my BIL and had him get out of the gun vault and check. I don't keep it here anymore cause my gun safe is'nt as good as his and It's a heirloom I don't use and want to keep as secure as I can.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

That would be me Bear Whitetail II compound bow. Paid 125 bucks for it brand new, probly 25yrs ago. I know there's bows out there today that will blow it away, but I won't replace it till it dosn't work anymore.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

The only "kit" that I can honestly say I use on a regular basis is this rig right here..

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The oldest gear in it is my Klein wrench..

I'm guessing this wrench is from the 30's or 40's. I know I am the third lineman to own it and the two before me are gone. One retired, the other long dead.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

I have an old bone handle Union Cutlery knife that I found in a barn when I was 12. It goes with me on all my outings.

I also have a Kabar MKI that I bought when I was 12 or 13. I still carry it now and then. Kind of a collectors item now.

All my gear is old, I like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That would be Mr. B. Simply irreplaceable.
    LOL! Right? I've got one of those too. I call mine, Mr. T. though.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    LOL! Right? I've got one of those too. I call mine, Mr. T. though.
    I pity the fool......

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A KA-Bar that was issued to me in 1962. It has been to several interesting places.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Jeez, Camp. That line wrench sure brought back some memories. Do you have any idea how many head lineman I've wanted to introduce to one? Okay, only a couple.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My oldest piece that still sees regular use is my canteen cup. Stamp on it says 1951 (Dazey corporation). Even though I bought myself a new canteen cup for Christmas, I think I still prefer the "old style" handle that folds under the cup to the newer "wire handled" version. Maybe the new one will eventually grow on me, but for now it's old faithful in the bag.

However, a recent discovery in a trunk that was handed down though my family will see some "occasional" use. I found an old Savage 1909 pump action breakdown .22 in a chest that has been in storage in my home for over 20 years. It was my grandfather's. It was stored in a steamer trunk, and was well greased before it was packed away...so it's in amazing condition. I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it, and found that the only thing wrong was a broken safety spring. A bit of web surfing got me hooked up with the needed part, and it should be back in business sometime this week. The cool thing about this is that it is a single screw takedown...so should be a nice pack gun from time to time. Can't shoot the newer high powered stuff in it, but I find it very pleasing to operate and use. I'm making a padded canvas case for it now.

Here's a pic of it:

Since this was made in 1910 (according to the serial number) I guess this will be my oldest once I carry it into the field.
    Last edited by 10mm_Bob; 01-30-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Follow my photography on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Robert.Blanchard.Photography

My photography website: http://www.catcheroflight.com

That is truly sweet. Very nice weapon. I'm with you on the canteen cup, too. I like the old fold under style handle, too. I little more solid and a little more versatile. I use the new ones but I have a couple of the older ones and they will always be my favorites I guess.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have to agree with Sarge, My brain is my oldest and best piece of kit.
    I know what hunts you.

To be fair --- Sarge just said oldest. He never mentioed anything about it being any good, let alone best.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, what Crash said. You're giving him way too much credit and applying some poetic license to your own post. Now me on the other hand.....................

Oh - you must have gotten one of them brains from Abby Normal.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd have to join the ranks of those who know the value of a good knife outdoors.
    My trusted Gerber folding hunting knife is likely oldest, reliable and most important.
    Everything else is subject to update pending the need to lighten the pack...My
    compass would come a close 2nd place....and then my 22lr ruger 77 would run
    third (IF) I carry a fire'arm...I would survive w/o the firearm..but not the knife..BH51

Banned
    Blog Entries

My Kelty "Tioga" Pack. 41 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I pity the fool......

How sad is it...that I didn't catch that when I typed it? LOL!! Gotta LOVE Mr. T!!!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    How sad is it...that I didn't catch that when I typed it? LOL!! Gotta LOVE Mr. T!!!
    I don't want to sell you short, but maybe your sense of humor is not as warped as mine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I would have to say my oldest and still used gear is this 1830's Fire Steel that I dug up at a cabin/homestead site near Newport Tenn. I use it at least once a year to remind me, us folks today did not invent this stuff and that I still have so much to learn. It still works like a charm and I would feel bad if I ever lost it, I would however be proud to trade it for something else old and usable (Please, no ex wifes or bald tires).

Well ain't that just great? Down in Newport, TN there is a really, really old guy looking for his fire steel. When he sees it posted he's gonna be so ticked. Yeah, they have internet in Tennessee, too, you know.