Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .410 mods

Default .410 mods

I have a .410 bolt action stevens model 58B it has a clip. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can find a new clip or one with more capacity. I also have a .410 single shot H&R Topper Junior model 88 and was wondering if anyone knew where to find synthetic stock and forend. Any other mods you might recommend would be welcome.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Hey! We're the only mods allowed around these parts!!! Good luck with the larger clips but here's where you can find replacements: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC= I can't help you on the HR 88. You could always contact them and ask them if they know of anyone making a synthetic after market stock.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick, fair price too! I may just get one and then disassemble my old one and weld on some capacity with a new spring. That is why I was looking for one my spring is sprung. I wonder if a heat treat might be the trick to get it springy again.... Also how old do you think the 58B is, it was found in an old barn and seemed to be very old.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

MMhmMmmm

I wish .410 didn't become "so rare", darn ammo is ridiculously over priced since it's not made in the quantities as the 12ga and 20ga

Either way, I'd be interested in some pics of your rifles if you have any laying around
    Mountain Man

Your right about the price of .410 and I will post some pics just check back on this post. I have collected them for my daughter she is 6.

MMhmMmmm

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Your right about the price of .410 and I will post some pics just check back on this post. I have collected them for my daughter she is 6.
    Thanks, will do.

She's lucky! And I guess you are too considering you can atleast still get it at Wal-Mart for a bit less $ than eslewhere!
    Mountain Man

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here they are! my .410's I like them around.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My Grandfather made a Grandfather's clock and stained it with shoe polish. It caught my eye and I learned alot. I refinished the stock.

I've never owned a .410 although, when I was a kid, I hunted with a couple of guys that had them. The only gauge shotgun I've ever owned is 12 gauge.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You might try Graybeards Outdoors for H&R info (among other stuff). Scroll down and they have a section just for the NEF/H&R stuff. Quicktoo knows quite a bit about those firearms.
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php

I'm not sure if you can view the site without being a member, but it is worth it to sign up (free).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

What?! Another forum!? As Minister of Science I'll be in my inner sanctum working up an incantation to end this foolishness!!

I absolutly love my .410. It was the first shotgun I actually ever owned myself. It is easy for me to handle. Mine doesn't have a clip tho. Have you tried Cabela's? Probably over priced but, it is worth a look. We have a gun show her every other month or so, you could look around and see if there is one near you. We have a couple acres worth of guns, ammo, access. etc. Pretty cool, it's called Crossroads gun show.

Check out these tow links maybe something there for the 410 models.
    http://www.combathunting.com/Products-H_R_NEF.html
    http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/h&r_stocks.htm
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Then again you could do something like this to it.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=133958752
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Then again you could do something like this to it.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=133958752
    Oh dear God....
    ..someone please tell me that it wasn't really a Finned Mosin, that he started with.

...and how about the eye-relief of that scope!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Thanks Welderguy, there were some options i wasn't aware of in your links! Appreciated the help!

I know this is an old thread...thought I'd update it. The clip I thought I needed for the Stevens ended up being repairable. The spring wasn't weak. Rather the "slide plate" was bent. I took it apart straightened it and will need to tack weld the clip frame back together and should work good as new! A forty dollar savings and I am thrilled to have saved an old shooter!

Good for you! Sometimes it's just a little elbow grease. I love it when old becomes new again. Who knows, maybe I'll be new some day. (sigh)

Thanks Rick! More importantly is I now understand where the "bind" was maybe it will be useful knowledge in the future....Ok So it took me awhile!

Speaking of .410 mods, I'm looking for a short (18 1/2 to 20 inches) barrel for my Remington 870 in .410.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I have a .410 bolt action stevens model 58B it has a clip. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can find a new clip or one with more capacity. I also have a .410 single shot H&R Topper Junior model 88 and was wondering if anyone knew where to find synthetic stock and forend. Any other mods you might recommend would be welcome.
    NEF/H&R actions built the same, I believe, as I have swapped them around on my shotguns and Handi Rifles.
    Difference is in the strength, sb1, sb2 and so on.
    Fore arm might be different as the older ones used a post on the barrel and a clip on the fore arm, (not so good, on the 12 ga slug gun, as recoil tends to lift the barrel off the fore arm), newer models have a screw holding the fore arm on.

The "Survivor" stock or composite stock and forearm from the "Snake Charmer" .410 should bolt right on.
    Some stock bolts are flat slot screw driver, some are hex headed bolts.

Site provided by welderguy is the style I had in mind.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-27-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27