Thread: Life after Disaster: Kepulihan

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Life after Disaster: Kepulihan

This documentary was on this morning. The people of Indonesia suffered a great tragedy and lost many of their loved ones. It is about recovering, healing, and rebuilding after a natural disaster. I thought it might interest some to see what it's like when the majority of a population is wiped from the earth in a moment. They lost more than half of their population!

The resilience and determination of these people is what struck me as so prolific. While most of us (myself included) would likely give up hope if everything and everyone we knew were taken from us; yet these folks keep going, building tent schools to teach art, community centers to help those wounded, and integrating those disabled back into the workforce.

http://thetsunamifilm.com/synopsis.html

This is only one of many links. A search for Kepulihan will turn up much more information that you can research.

In the face of adversity and loss, all we have is our own will to survive, rebuild, and heal. Disaster can come in any form. Where will you stand? Do you give up and join those you lost, or do you recreate, and keep going?

If you find articles on this, they are worth reading, if only to see which category you fall into. The documentary was enlightening for me. I do not know that I would have the inner strength of these people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbXCJ19Rqzs

It's refreshing to see a country and it's people willing to DO something about a tragedy; to do it themselves, and not just sit wringing their hands waiting for the U.S. and other countries to come in and rebuild everything for them.