Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 3 will you choose to have ?

Default Which 3 will you choose to have ?

I will make this short and concise.... If you were out and in a TSHTF or a TEOTWAWKI or just in a plain ole off the grid self reliance situation I would like to know what type, brand, or model and specs.of these you would want to have with you

1) Knife
    2) Gun
    3) Axe/Tomahawk
    A Government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away when it wants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Neither your Liberty, your money, nor your property are safe while Congress is in Session.

What S HTF? Will I be back soon? I think I left the oven on....Man, this is vague. If we are talking non-military, non-foil hat situations that will require a short trip away from home to get away from floods, fire, train wreck, etc. Then I would bring my M-6 scout. It's a shotgun and a rifle (.22 hornet over .410)in one tiny little accurate package. The ammo stores in the stock and the whole thing folds in half and tucks away in my pack. My knife...Ummmm something made by a local knifemaker with a 4-5" blade and a killer heat treat on some L-6 steel. My Axe? One from the same dude but made from 5160.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Deja vu all over again.

I'm not married to a brand or manufacturer. Of those three items I would grab one that I owned (lots of choices), regardless of the make, but that was best suited for what I intended to use it for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You're going to get answers all over the board depending on what a person has to be alert for and the specifics of why they are out. If you are intent on asking then you need to set the parameters.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...rio-Check-List
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No offense Longhunter, but you may sense some "Oh No here we go again" attitudes, Nothing to do with you personally I assure you. However some of the older members have seen these types of questions several times. With how vague you have asked the question it is almost like if someone asked "If you had to nail something together, what type of nail would you use." Well you wouldn't want a horseshoe nail to use building a log cabin and vice versa. Try and give as realistic scenario as possible if you want really good honest answers. I carry anywhere from 4 or more knives every day, everywhere I can Legally carry them. Please don't think some of the answers are flippant either as some (Like me in the example I gave with multiple knives) are just telling you what & how things are with them. Also be prepared for some good natured bellyaching.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Banned
    Blog Entries

I got my new U.S.M.C. Bayonet today, this puppy is all I need, well my arctic loin cloth. Me go barefoot like Natinedude. And now that My colon is empty, and has been "Rotor'rooted, I have a new place to stick my survival supplies.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-25-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Gun: Super Soaker
    Knife: Butter Knife
    Axe/Tomahawk: Toys R Us Replica Medieval War Axe

Yeah man, gotta be more specific. Every situation is different, and as far as brand choice goes, thats a moot point because everyone has something different they like, when in reality, its just that, a gun, a knife, an axe

Banned
    Blog Entries

On a more serious note: I would choose my cabin, my 4 connexs full of supplies.........Wow looks like I only need two things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    On a more serious note: I would choose my cabin, my 4 connexs full of supplies.........Wow looks like I only need two things.
    No you need 2 more.... a woman, and a door.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Every thread like this I've ever seen devolves into the OP expounding on why your choice isn't as good as his.
    While I like to know the strengths and weaknesses of various brands (and this place is a treasure trove of good honest advice on that note), each choice has just that, strengths and weaknesses. What SourDough needs in AK (besides a woman and a door, LOL) is not what I need here in the northeast. Well, I have the door anyway...

1. My Marlin 60 22 rifle or my 9mm
    2. CRTK folder, Sog Pup
    3. my camping hatchet - don't remember the brand.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Didn't see "RV" on the list, DANG!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I got my new U.S.M.C. Bayonet today, this puppy is all I need, well my arctic loin cloth. Me go barefoot like Natinedude. And now that My colon is empty, and has been "Rotor'rooted, I have a new place to stick my survival supplies.
    S, you might wanna share with the class if all went well. I assume it did, or else you wouldn't wouldn't be bragging about all that space for supplies.

Is he bragging or lamenting lol.

More space is gooder no matter how you look at, it unless it's between your ears.

Banned
    Blog Entries

They removed three plops, will have to wait for the biopsy report in about a week. I am pretty sure I am going to die, sooner or later.

They removed three plops, will have to wait for the biopsy report in about a week. I am pretty sure I am going to die, sooner or later.
    Join the club!

Nobody gets out of life alive SD. nobody.

As to the OP's question. If I can only take 3 things, I'm already screwed.

I think I'll just stay at home or take all 3 kids, err, maybe leave my son and take my dog instead.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHuntre View Post
    I will make this short and concise.... If you were out and in a TSHTF or a TEOTWAWKI or just in a plain ole off the grid self reliance situation I would like to know what type, brand, or model and specs.of these you would want to have with you

1) Knife Victorinox Fireman
    2) Gun Remington 870 express in 20 gauge, modified choke
    3) Axe The only one i got, double bit w' 36" handle
    IMO, nothing wrong with re-visiting these topics every once in a while. Opinions change with time and experience. I have to make these decisions every time I go camping, etc. I'd like to take the .22 and 3 different knives, but sometimes it's just too much to bother with.