Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to maintain waterproofing of shelter?

Default How to maintain waterproofing of shelter?

Something that occurred to me recently:

Most normal tents, you always want to waterproof it before you take it out on a trip. But if TSHTF, I'd think your can of waterproofing is going to run out pretty quick. I've spent a night or two in a tent that was not properly waterproofed, and it was MISERABLE.

So, how do you guys keep your shelters properly waterproofed in the field for long periods of time?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

i use a poly tarp. if it gets holes, i just pitch it steeper.

for out in the bush situations, i'm think various tree resins should be soluble in coleman fuel, so you might be able to make a sealant at least for natural fabrics from things likely to be available out in the field.

anybody want to give it a try?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Silicon caulk, mineral spirits and a paint brush.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought good tents were already waterproof.
    Am I wrong?

no, but they don't stay that way.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I had NO idea! Don't have a tent (will be buying one in the next yr.) so haven't found out the hard way.
    Bummer. Yet another thing to worry about.

B - a good quality tent will maintain its "water proofness" for a long time. The tent I had when I lived in the PNW was used a lot more than anything I own today, and I never waterproofed it, nor did I have an issues with it. The tent I'm using now for Mrs. Crash and I is not nearly as well made, but for the warmer climates is just fine. UV will, over time deteriorate the effectiveness of it. I haven't done anything to this one yet, but it is not uncommon to spray some Scotch Guard on the rain fly before heading out. A longer fix would be to use the silicon caulk, thing it with mineral spirits and apply.

I recently picked up some rip stop nylon, and that's how I will water proof it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

most of the time it's just a once per year/season touch up with a spray-can and no sweat.

The only reason I even have a tent is for bugs. If I were going to be outside for an extended period of time I would pitch my tent then sling a tarp over it. I've even done that when rain was in the forecast. It gives you a bit more dry area to do stuff as well.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

it is the newer ones that you have to waterproof, we have a 10 man tent that is over 30 years old and has never leaked!

Wheras any new one we have bought for extra sleeping space, has leaked within the first year or two.

best bet is to look at garage sales and hope someone is selling an older one.

It doesn't matter the age, it is the quality. Cheaper tents use cheaper waterproofing methods and construction, and as a result, leak.

There are two type of waterproofing used for ripstop fabric (or any nylon or polyester). It is either silicon coated or urethane coated. Silicon is generally more expensive. You can't mix and match. If your fly or tarp was originally urethane coated, silicon won't stick to it. If it was silicon coated, urethane won't stick. Silicon is the better method and lasts longer. Urethane will degrade and peel off. Silicon won't peel. If you see the coating flaking off, then it is urethane coated, and you are generally screwed. You can recoat silicon. Another thing with silicon is that generally a tent manufacturer will not seal the seams. The end user must do that themselves. A urethane coated tent is most likely seam sealed (with tape, ie "taped seams"), but not always. A cheaper tent will sometimes have a bad tape job, and leak. A high quality tent will either have a good taped seam, or expect the end user to tape it themselves. And, for the most part, the majority of tents on the market are urethane coated. By the way, a plastic tarp (infamous blue PE, or tyvek, or even the painters drop cloth) is easily fixed with tape.

I am steering away from tents and making my own tarps. It is really easy to silicon coat them. I have had great success with the one I did, and have been in some heavy rain to test it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Am I correct in thinking that part of the problem is that most modern tents are made out of a semi-permeable "breathable" fabric?

Here's a question: for those who like tarps (or ponchos), what is your favorite "off-the-rack" tarp or poncho?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

I get mine at Ace Hardware. They call them Poly Tarps. 10X12 is about $15.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that part of the problem is that most modern tents are made out of a semi-permeable "breathable" fabric?

Here's a question: for those who like tarps (or ponchos), what is your favorite "off-the-rack" tarp or poncho?
    Very few tents are made from breathable fabric. There are some, though. Breathable fabric is generally really expensive and heavy, with the exception of Porex and Tyvek. You will see them in bivies, and 4 season winter shelters. The 4 season shelters that use them are really just one season, winter. They suck in the rain.

My guess is that the problem lies with cheap production and bad care. Most modern tents are made from urethane coated nylon. It is cheap and easy to water proof. I am basing this on the quantifier "most". Most people buy cheap tents made in China. Not all tents made in China are crap, but "most" are. Most people wouldn't think of dropping more than $100 on a tent. They only take it once or twice a year and set it up right next to the car, or in the back yard. A lot of them have what I call a "bikini fly". It doesn't cover the hole tent. Then they are surprised when it leaks like a screen door on Crash's underwater boat. Most of these people also have no clue how to store a tent. It works great the first time, but when they pull it out the second time, mold is present and some of the urethane is flaking off.

That isn't to say that urethane coating is junk. It is just that to implement the quality control, and proper manufacturing processes, it takes $$$$. You definitely get what you pay for in tents.

Now for tarps and ponchos. I have never bought an off the rack tarp, other than a blue poly tarp. I have always made my own by sewing it together and then waterproofing it with silicon and mineral spirits. But, if I were to buy one, I would first look at the ones at Campmor. They are pretty cheap and I have heard others say they are good quality. There are also a ton of cottage manufactures that make good ones, but they are more expensive. If you want a short list, I will post one.

Both my rendezvous "Lodges" made from heavy white canvas, one is about 20 years old, has never been waterproofed.

Of course they aren't up any longer than a week or two at a time, and have never been put away wet, (turns them black).

BOT, similar set up as Ricks with tarp rain fly.

I guess I haven't had a problem with tents leaking since I started buying higher end tents.

Last problem was on an old pop-up camper, some spots were getting thin......used thinned down silicone, (think it was mineral spirits) kinda smeared around on the bad spots.
    Also used silicone to "glue" some seams, after hand stitching.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-31-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Is there such a thing as a waxed canvas tent or tarp? The oilcloth we used as a tarp worked great when camping as a kid.

And if you're finding yourself in a long term situation, wouldn't a solution be to move into something a little more solid than a tent? Assuming you didn't have to E&E all the time.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Both my rendezvous "Lodges" made from heavy white canvas, one is about 20 years old, has never been waterproofed.

Of course they aren't up any longer than a week or two at a time, and have never been put away wet, (turns them black).

BOT, similar set up as Ricks with tarp rain fly.

I guess I haven't had a problem with tents leaking since I started buying higher end tents.

Last problem was on an old pop-up camper, some spots were getting thin......used thinned down silicone, (think it was mineral spirits) kinda smeared around on the bad spots.
    Also used silicone to "glue" some seams, after hand stitching.
    Yea, but those are REAL tents!

Is it not a pitty that so few will know the pleasure of living in a well made canvas tent for any length of time Hunter?

If one wishes to waterproof a good canvas tent Panther Primitives sell proper waterproofing for the job by the gallon. it is worth every penny when dealing with a good tent.

If waterproofing a small piece of cloth for a tarp you can make a solution that works well fronm regular products fronm the hardware store. I will not give the formula because it always causes confusion for some reason. I give it and then someone tries it with the wrong products because they got what they THOUGHT I said and not what the recipe actually was.

Sgt Draino, I once lived for 131 days with only a GI poncho for a home. I would still choose it as part of my primary survival gear. On a list of five the poncho would be 4. That is the GI issue ripstop coated model, not the Wallmart or Sportsman's Guide model.

Please also be advised that they do not last but around 30 years rolled up in the pack. I had to replace two of them back in '04.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sgt Draino, I once lived for 131 days with only a GI poncho for a home. I would still choose it as part of my primary survival gear. On a list of five the poncho would be 4. That is the GI issue ripstop coated model, not the Wallmart or Sportsman's Guide model.
    Wow, truly amazing! I'd be interested to see your preferred setup. How did you deal with bugs?

Yeah, I love canvas tents. My scout troop has a couple of Springbars. Best tents in the world. They will last a couple lifetimes if taken care of properly. They can also take some heavy wind. Problem is, they weigh 40 lbs.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Wow, truly amazing! I'd be interested to see your preferred setup. How did you deal with bugs?
    We kept them low and camoed them into the background with dabris. Most of the time using a ridge line about 2 feet off the ground and the corners about a foot off the ground. Seldom did we tag them completely down because we wanted to be able to roll out from under them in any direction and see 360 also.

Anyone advocating a tent for a bug out situation, and most people do, have never been in a bug out situation. It is one of the dead givaways that a person has never been in a tatical condition. So is the concept of sleep in said situation.

After the bug dope ran out we just delt with them. By that time we probably smelled so bad they wanted little to do with us. My worry was not the bugs as much as the centipedes and little yellow snakes.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-01-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?