Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pot belly stove.

Default pot belly stove.

We're in the market for a wood stove. The ONLY place we can put it is in the living room, but it's size is a factor. We're considering a multi-fuel (coal and wood), pot belly. Do y'all have any favorite companies? We're obviously looking for efficiency.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

I would only use a potbelly for burning coal. If there is a airtight potbelly, I've never heard of it so you will be either freezing cold and out of wood or to hot to wear clothes (then freezing cold and out of wood) with one in your house. The two stoves I use and like are Jotul and regency. For your house, I would use a Jotul #3 or the Regency F1100 (or F2400 but you will run it closed most of the time).

Edit: The two stoves I mentioned are wood only
    Last edited by Camp10; 01-24-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

My stove is wood burning only but I really like it. I chose the Hearthstone soapstone stove. The main considerations were the efficiency with an 8 hour burn and radiant up to two additional hours and the clearances to the wall. They are not cheep but I liked that the soapstone thermal mass held the heat. I really like it. I bought two, the Heritage and the homestead. They are both wood burning as the only recommended fuel.

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/stove-guide/select
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hey "POTBELLY????" I resembl ....nevermind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

probably not super efficient but I've been going to make a vertical 55 gallon drum stove. With the installation of a baffle performance should be better. I will admit it wont be pretty but it will have character. lol

My grandfather had a large potbelly stove in his living room. Camp is right on the money. It's either twice the surface of the sun or just plain cold. There's a reason folks are standing with their backside to them in the pictures.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wood/coal stoves are a real good example of "You get what you pay for".
    Bit the bullet and purchased a Quadrafire, works well, but priced about $1500 w/blower.
    http://www.quadrafire.com/ppc-landin...Fc4M2godXySiJA

Jotul's a good as well, almost bought one for about the same money, but liked tha side load option on tha Quadrafire.

Hearthstone soapstone stove is a very, very nice stove....little higher priced.

Keep in mind that the cheaper the stove, the more fuel you will burn, and the less usable BTU's (ones that don't just go up the pipe) you will have.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You guys are giving me a lot to look into. THANKS!! I have to think about appearance...we live in an old farm house, and I really want it to fit in as we hope to sell the house as soon as the market shifts. Our hope is to get something small with land ASAP...but in the mean time we need to stay warm.

I'm leaning toward the Quadrafire visually though! It's is lovely!!

I guess I'm looking into coal/wood because out here EVERYONE has wood, and the price per load is almost as much as I'm paying for oil at times. Plus I don't have a lot of place to store it. Coal takes up a lot less space. If I can get wood for the beginning half of a year and coal for when I run out...I can buy coal when the price is low...saving me a lot of money.
    Plus...well...coal heat is always so warm.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

I have read on a coupla of homestead/cabin forums that these are the cats meow. our last stove was a Timberline double door insert. Being an insert and with the screen hanging on the front lost lots of heat, but was nice to look at. lol one guy lived for about ten years or so on an off grid homestead plot and swore by this stove , i lost the forum info when hard drive crashed , but he moved to maine and was living in a friends cabin and sadly passed due to an on going battle with cancer..
    http://www.alaskastove.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=53

You are in the heart of coal country!!! Anthracite coal even!!! Check out the coal chubby. http://www.chubbystove.com/Pages/Chu...stove%20co.htm
    There is a guy in Rhode Island that refurbishes them and brings them back to life. My wife and I wanted to get one but we can only get sub bituminous coal out west. The closest reliable source of coal is three hours away. I was after the long burn times as well. The other issue is that sub bituminous coal is known to pollute more than anthracite. Here si a great resource on anything coal related and the people over there are as nice as the ones here! http://nepacrossroads.com/

Another stove you may want to check out is the sedore. I posted links in another thread below this one.
    Last edited by RCKCRWLER; 02-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rckcrwler
    Check out the coal chubby
    That wasn't a very nice name to call her. Oh, I see, you meant the stove. Sorry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That wasn't a very nice name to call her. Oh, I see, you meant the stove. Sorry.
    LOL I was waiting for that one!!! Only you, only you....

Quote Originally Posted by RCKCRWLER View Post
    LOL I was waiting for that one!!! Only you, only you....
    Well nobody else was gonna say it. We've heard that she has a temper.

Of course none of us believe those stories that Rick tells.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey, temper or not she owns a firearm. Well, sort of.

HA-HA!! Pour a little more salt into that wound. LOL!!

Thanks for the link! That is the cutest stove EVER! I wonder though...what makes a coal unable to burn wood? I would think that wood wouldn't get as hot as coal...and if you burn it RIGHT you don't get creosote.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

I know you have to use wood to start a coal fire, but I'm not sure why wood wouldn't burn effeciently in a coal stove.

Coal stoves need a bottom draft and are designed to allow a pile of burning coal to rest in a basket so the ash falls away from the coal preventing the fire from smothering. There is more to it then that. Here is a decent article I just found that explains more.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=0009En
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

GF, thanks for the link........I had never really realized there was that much of a difference, and reason, other than salesman spiel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ditto! Thanks a LOT!!!
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

This is a really good place for all things non electric, including all types of stoves to include Pot Bellys. They really know their stuff and they will not blow sunshine where it does not belong.

I get much of my non elctric wood working tools from this place. Mostly Amish folks working and buying there.

Some call it the Non-Electric Store, to the locals it is just Lehmans

https://www.lehmans.com/