Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Super Mobile Camper CP Survival Project

Blog Entries

AH HA!! it worked and the pics are HUGE.

Those pics will show you basically what I've been up to. Minus the last 2 wires (green and brown) for the amp gauge that I didn't have time to tie in. Basically what you're seeing - starting on the left of the first pic:
    Switch to the internal work light I installed
    then the fuse blocks - with 2 positive / soldered bridge cables to the intellipower controller/charger
    then the intellipower 9200 series charger
    then the double outlet utility box (the orange thing plugged in is just a circuit tester)
    then way on the right is the black switch that i kept from the old components to turn the intellipower system on/off.
    the silver box in the lower middle is just a 110 junction box to terminate the old line that was hardwired into the old univolt. It then allows me to split and carry the current to the necessary things I added into the system.
    Life is Survival - Live each day as if it was your last.
    Survival Fitness

Blog Entries

Today's project - starting the initial work on the solar. Wanted to start small - and here's what I came up with:

15-watt panel for a trickle charge - mounted on the interior along the upper window as shown in the photos. 30-amp Sun Force solar charge controller.

Still evaluating my success - will post back here once I can sort out a few things.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Survival Fitness

Blog Entries

Ok so I've made a bit more progress:

Let's hit appliances next - Refrigerator and TV:

1. The refrigerator is a brand spanking new NORCOLD. I liked the Norcold models more than the standard Dometics - because they offered me (in my opinion) a more ingenious, and cost efficient fridge that runs on either 12V, 110VAC, or Propane. Most of the Dometics only hit 2 of the 3. I like the choice NORCOLD's fridges offered me. They shipped fast also:

2. The television: Dynex - 99 bucks or so - picked up at Best Buy for almost nothing. The bracket - also from Best Buy. Took very little hassle to mount aside from drilling the holes for the hollow wall anchors and the coax cable run.

This project will get followed up by running a new 110 VAC 14 gauge line extending from the standard outlet near the refrigerator. That will allow me to plug the TV right into the new outlet versus the temporary extension cord I am using.

Now since that TV is also near the front of the Airstream - I will also be able to tap into the 12V to 110VAC power inverter I am going to install next to the control panel for my communications rack. The comms rack will end up with standard AM/FM radio, CB Radio, Scanner, HAM Radio. Hardest part aside from mounting it all will end up being the antennas that I'll mount on the roof - also with the solar array framing - later this spring.

Survival Fitness

Blog Entries

As you can see - I'm also working on the interior - have a good bit of sanding, staining, refinishing all around to do. Plan is to get that same stain tone on all the interior wood. Then a nice finishing coat to help the durability.

Those panels you see on the fridge: Oak Ply - picked up a standard 4x8 sheet (actually about 6) a while back and cut those panels to fit, saving myself some cash. You can buy ready made panels from places like camper world - but why when you can just get the ply and cut it yourself.
    Last edited by paratrooper_rick; 02-19-2011 at 03:00 AM.
    Survival Fitness

Banned

looks like a fun project !

Looking good, thanks for the pic's, we like pics...........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can't see the pictures, and if I click on Paratrooper Rick's blog, I'm told I don't have permission to view. I'm quite interested in this topic, and would love to see the pictures and his blog. I can see other's blogs, any idea what is wrong?

What browser are you using? I think you might have yourself blocked on the pics. Try his blog now. I adjusted some settings to see if you could get in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Thanks Rick (sometimes feels like I'm schizzo over here!)

I keep some of those photos larger for the details. My old phone used to be far to hazy/unclear when I would document any of my inventions. New one grabs great detail but the photos are HUGE. Maybe we can come up with a happy middle ground somehow.

I'm going to take the sander out today and do some finishing work. I'm liking how that Red Mahogany stain is working so far on the panels I've replaced.
    Survival Fitness

Thanks Rick, I can get to his blog, but to see the pictures I have to cut and paste the address from the properties from each picture and open it that way. It's slow but worth it. PR, you are doing a nice job, I need a new TV for the kitchen, I'm going to check those out.

Blog Entries

Great project!
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

What browser are you using?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Just picked up a great find for the electrical - picked up a 750 watt inverter! That will work perfectly to power both the TV, and radio/comms in front of the airstream.

Oddly enough -it's on sale right now for 32 bucks at Sam's Club (last place I would have looked). Will likely wire in the front end of the comms area later on today and hopefully remember to grab a picture or two to update the thread.
    Survival Fitness

Rick, I'm using IE.

Rick, I just changed to Firefox, much better already. Thanks for your help sir.

Anytime. Glad it's working for you now.