Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frostbite ??

Welcome Daren...
    A good soldier is a poor scout - Cheyenne

The secret of the man who is universally interesting is that he is universally interested
    William Dean Howells

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover - Mark Twain

Welcome Daren

Quote Originally Posted by Daren View Post
    Hello all
    This is my first post.

My experience in cold is that if I keep my core warm I don't have to worry about my hands and feet so much. I'm a big fan of wool head to toe. I've never seen an animal wear gortex.
    Over 90% of your body's heat loss is going to be through your extremities, keeping your head covered in cold weather is essential, 80% of your heat loss is from your head. Your blood flow maintains your body temperature, the farther it has to travel the more work it has. When your core body temperature begins to drop is the exact moment when hypothermia is becoming life threatening. Don't fool yourself on this one Daren, do the research, you'll find what I'm saying here is true.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Daren!

Hello all
    This is my first post.

My experience in cold is that if I keep my core warm I don't have to worry about my hands and feet so much. I'm a big fan of wool head to toe. I've never seen an animal wear gortex.
    Your 1st post belongs on the "{introductions" page where you also give us a clue to your age, experience level, and general geographic area you currently reside in, ok?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hello Darren,
    "Hello all
    This is my first post.

My experience in cold is that if I keep my core warm I don't have to worry about my hands and feet so much. I'm a big fan of wool head to toe. I've never seen an animal wear gortex."

Usually the extremities along with exposed flesh are the first to suffer from frostbite, your core may be OK but you can still suffer from frostbite.
    Be carefull
    To thyne self be true

Thanks for the welcomes.

I should have clarified. I include my head when I say core. I work outside down to 25f. I play outside in any temp. Staying warm enough to work and play is a priority. I don't believe I am fooling myself when I simply do what works for me.

I choose to not share my location. I have no age. I have a blue belt in wilderness survival

Hey Daren

I don't care what temps you work outside in, honestly, you're bs'ing yourself. I've worked outside in temps way down in the minus 40's --barehanded and bareheaded too. Bad idea. Wouldn't do it again, although sometimes gloves or mitts have to come off for the work at hand I'd sure be getting them back on in a hurry. But hey...you do what you think is best there partner.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Sounds like somebody may have frostbit their brain.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I am a runner and currently in Chicago. Tough winter running for a kid from Arizona. I can get by with pretty thin pants and a light shell for a top, but gloves and hat are a must for me. Granted, I am not in a survival scenario and generating a lot of body heat from running. I make every effort to protect my feet, hands and head. Head especially!

Blog Entries

Cool Well stranger....

Hello all
    This is my first post.

Never seen a grizzly bear wear wool or a rabbit carry a knife either. Doesn't mean I won't use them.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I suppose the key is what type of work you are doing. Even in -0 temps, if you are doing manual labor and well dressed, you can stay quite warm. I've done aerial work when it was cold enough we had to torch the hydraulic tank every time we wanted to move the basket (double digit below 0) but you have to be dressed for it. The heater in the basket helped too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I believe we have a misunderstanding. I didn't say I don't wear gloves, mittens, hats or shoes. My point was that if I keep my heart and head warm my hands and feet will be warmer. More blood is sent to the extremities because the blood vessels are not contracted as much as when the core is colder.

I believe we have a misunderstanding. I didn't say I don't wear gloves, mittens, hats or shoes. My point was that if I keep my heart and head warm my hands and feet will be warmer. More blood is sent to the extremities because the blood vessels are not contracted as much as when the core is colder.
    I know that you're just new posting here and all, but see, some of us have this annoying habit of trying to offer people helpful information. Like I said, do what you want, believe what you want, but if you keep your extremities warm, it'll keep your core warm. Ideally, it's a heck of a good idea to keep all of it warm, though right?

I have worked outdoors 16hrs shifts, at -45C and even less, where the rubber soles on our shoe packs literally froze stiff like a board, don't take care of your whole body, you will suffer.
    To thyne self be true

I was simply sharing my experience because it seemed to fit the thread. As always I have a lot to learn and I have much to offer. I wouldn't have it any other way. I appreciate and welcome others experience and advice. It is what keeps me alive.

One thing you'll learn by reading through the threads is we THRIVE on banter. Often off subject. But, hey, it's what we do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.