Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: big brother is flying high in your sky

Not Necessarily so..... One Very famous politician was met by a farmer who changed his mind and methods in Washington....Even helped him get re-elected.....

http://hushmoney.org/Davy_Crockett_Farmer_Bunce.htm
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    With your permission Those are quotes that I will keep. (above) and :"MONTANA; WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP ARE SCARED "
    it's not my quote. it's just an old montana saying.

It's a Montana saying, a Wyoming saying, a Texas saying, a Scottish saying (my guess the origins), an Australian saying, a New Zealand saying, an Army saying, an Air Force saying, a Marine Corps saying.....and on and on (Notice that it is not a Navy saying)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    It's a Montana saying, a Wyoming saying, a Texas saying, a Scottish saying (my guess the origins), an Australian saying, a New Zealand saying, an Army saying, an Air Force saying, a Marine Corps saying.....and on and on (Notice that it is not a Navy saying)
    Navy saying is something about separating the men from the boys with a crowbar....I dont really remember.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Banned

[QUOTE=mosquitomountainman;275571]
    Quote Originally Posted by themoondancer811 View Post
    Ok, so I didn't read this whole thread, nor do I want to, but I would like to say that people, country people, who run homesteads and are self-sufficiant don't have TIME or the CARE to worry about "big brother" and all this government bull.

I never heard my husband, brothers or father(I grew up on a dairy farm also) talk about these things, or even politics. It was all chores, and repairs, and chores, and a lot of nodding and swearing. The conversation in families are always about how you can tell a man by how straigh he plows, how tall and neat his woodpile, how sharp he keeps his axe, how clean his barn, if his wheels squeek on the tractor...how his corn grows, how white the fences are... Worries about government? bah.

People who truly "live off the grid" and homestead are usually far to simple of people to be bothered. It seems a very trendy thing, to live off the grid, but it's hard, hard work. No time to think big thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Whoa! No time to think big thoughts? For the last seven years we've been off-grid and provide most of our food through gardening, foraging, hunting and fishing and we actually have lots of free time in the winter and even when working a person's mind can be delving with other matters. The founders of this nation worked very hard and proved themselves quite adept at "thinking big thoughts" and they surely were not "simple" people. The largest detriment to thinking today is the television and computer games. I'd be willing to bet that most of those living off-grid use their time for other things than rotting their brains in front of a boob tube.
    as usual mmm thanks. their is alot of "down time in winter". i do care about many things and pay attention. it's my nature.

and to moondancer. we live the livestyle, not because it's trendy. because it's who we are.
    i know very few people who want go to the outhouse when it's -30. we don't mind
    nor do i know many people who butcher their own chicken for dinner at 8 deg. we don't mind...
    we choose to be primitive because society sucks and we want no part of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Navy saying is something about separating the men from the boys with a crowbar....I dont really remember.
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!! (Sorry Crash)
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Navy mascot is a goat. Of course that's an Officer thing. Us enlisted folks were much more refined.

You'll get a kick out of this question and answer....
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8060634AAly6I3
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Not Necessarily so..... One Very famous politician was met by a farmer who changed his mind and methods in Washington....Even helped him get re-elected.....

http://hushmoney.org/Davy_Crockett_Farmer_Bunce.htm
    Ok, ok guys, I retrack my statement in that not ALL farmers/homesteaders are like this (I don't think I ever said that anyway) but honestly, if you met the people in my community, and my family in the 60's and 70's, you would find the same as I have said. They just were not interested in those things. They worked hard, they loved their families and went to church. But again, I do not understand why it is insulting to have people in the world who have a simple life, simple people...I mean, that was a great pride in my family and still is today. We can't all be Davy Crockett nor do I wish to be.

Sorry for hyjacking the thread.
    "I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
    -Henry David Thoreau

"A gardners best revenge is to eat the weeds."

Banned

yep. fully aware. but apparently some folks aren't.

[QUOTE=mountain1;275595]
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitomountainman View Post
    we don't mind...
    we choose to be primitive because society sucks and we want no part of it...
    THAT's my point, not everyone DOES it because "society sucks" They do it because they CAN, because we live in America.
    "I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Yikes...mountain man, put on the breaks. For starters, I meant no insult when calling my OWN family "simple people." They are brilliant in every regard, but no interest in the big modern day politics/ government etc.

You are right, our forefathers did indeed create our country by thinking, "big thoughts." I agree, but from the people I know in my family (my father is now 87) were old yankees, farmers and simple folk. So from my specific life, this is how I have experienced it. Of course, other people may have different experiences. I have speant 52 years farming, I guess we just choose to live in our own lives.

As for TV and video games, I couldn't name one.

Edit- What exactly do you feel is WRONG with being a "simple" person? I am taken quite a back that you are so insulted by the phrase?
    "Simple" as in needs and desires is fine. "Simple" as in mental capacity I would have a problem with. I think most of my reaction had to do with the impression I got from your post that a "true homesteader" wouldn't have time to get involved in "outside issues" or have an informed opinion of those things. I believe that's a false assumption.

Congratulations and thanks regarding your livelihood. I had/have relatives in Kansas who farm. I spent most of my summers working at one place or another when growing up. They were some of the best years of my life.

FWIW I took the comments to refer to a simple lifestyle. Not necessarily easy, but simple as in not complicated.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Navy mascot is a goat. Of course that's an Officer thing. Us enlisted folks were much more refined.

You'll get a kick out of this question and answer....
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8060634AAly6I3
    "All the good mascots have been taken." That's pretty good.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitomountainman View Post
    "Simple" as in needs and desires is fine. "Simple" as in mental capacity I would have a problem with. I think most of my reaction had to do with the impression I got from your post that a "true homesteader" wouldn't have time to get involved in "outside issues" or have an informed opinion of those things. I believe that's a false assumption.

Congratulations and thanks regarding your livelihood. I had/have relatives in Kansas who farm. I spent most of my summers working at one place or another when growing up. They were some of the best years of my life.
    I agree, I am sorry if it did come out sounding like that, as it certainly was not meant to. Sometimes things from the brain do not quite type out the same. "Simple minded" and "simple folk" are two very different things. My father for one, left school at 16, fought in the navy in WW2, can't read much of anything but everyone here would very much love his company! He's a wonderful man. So I guess there is a strange line in determining exactly what "simple" should be regarded as.
    -Henry David Thoreau

[QUOTE=themoondancer811;275601]
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain1 View Post

THAT's my point, not everyone DOES it because "society sucks" They do it because they CAN, because we live in America.
    JFYI - the quote "we don't mind ... we choose to be primitive because society sucks and we want no part of it..." is not mine.

I have different reasons for living the way we live.

Banned

FWIW I took the comments to refer to a simple lifestyle. Not necessarily easy, but simple as in not complicated.
    live your live free, without worry. you've only got one and i'll be dam8ed if i live it for the 'man' or anyone else.
    that is the point of it all.
    most as a society in general have become a slave to the daily grind. so they will let the "ruling" class control them without question. it's all by design. and it seems to be working just as planned.

pocos post is right own.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain1 View Post
    live your live free, without worry. you've only got one and i'll be dam8ed if i live it for the 'man' or anyone else.
    that is the point of it all.
    most as a society in general have become a slave to the daily grind. so they will let the "ruling" class control them without question. it's all by design. and it seems to be working just as planned.

pocos post is right own.
    1. My post was not to you, it was to Mosquittomountainman, so no need to take offense.
    2. I don't know why you have some sort of chip on your shoulder, but "the man" or "the ruling" class ain't hanging around this forum so you can knock of the histrionics.
    3. While I'm sure that there are a few that might agree with you, as Pal334 indicated, this is not one of those conspiracy based survivalist forums. Lord knows there are enough of them out there already.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

[QUOTE=mosquitomountainman;275614]

JFYI - the quote "we don't mind ... we choose to be primitive because society sucks and we want no part of it..." is not mine.

I have different reasons for living the way we live.
    yeah i saw that.
    that is bye no means the only reason we live as we do. there are many;
    no one around for miles, we are basically camping everyday(except we have a cabin), SILENCE, just the general freedom do do what ever the he11 we want when we want. we have no bills except the mortgage. to all the uninitiated; just imagine a life without a power,water,sewage,trash bill, etc., the list goes on and on with the bills we do not have that most folks choose to have. we are independent and free of that. that within it's self helps give us the freedom we enjoy.
    we are free from those bonds of society that most people have made themselves slaves to.
    it is a choice we have made many years ago and will keep it at al cost...

Keep up with your snide remarks and you'll be free to go elsewhere.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You're sipping the cookin' sherry again aren't you?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.