View Poll Results: Which will you rely on most? Fishing, Hunting, Foraging, Gardening, Food Storage

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fishing

18 51.43%
  • Hunting

23 65.71%
  • Foraging

15 42.86%
  • Gardening

21 60.00%
  • Food Storage

25 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Fishing, Hunting, Foraging, Gardening, Food Storage.

Default Poll: Fishing, Hunting, Foraging, Gardening, Food Storage.

Which to you put the most confidence in for your long term survival. You can choose more than one.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 01-22-2011 at 01:07 AM.

All but gardening. I would hate take all the time to start one and have to leave it in a hurry. The food storage you could cache in different locations.

Blog Entries

I haven't voted, because I would use all of the above methods, among other things, depending on time of year.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Same here. Long term survival would mean using every available resource. from fish and muscles to game animals; cultivated plants and wild plants, and what we would be able to store. It would be a combination of all of the above, much like it is now. I already use all the above and with the exclusion of the grocery store, only the "imports" would be missed.. like pumpkin pie!
    It's really amazing what we save on our groceries. What used to be $250 a month is now about $50 and that's mostly for "junk food". It wouldn't be too hard to live without that. This year might be a little different since I didn't get to harvest as many deer as usual this year (or I chose not to, I should say). Gonna be doing more fishing this year to make up for it. I should also be starting to eat more wild plants this year as I've committed many to memory.

I don't have confidence the same resources will be available in the future. All wildlife will suffer and climate changes will affect even my own crops. Government is becoming more authoritive each day with regulations affecting even gardening. I also think food production will need to be controlled to feed the masses thereby making it illegal for you and I to do it so much of my decision was based on what I think I can get away with.

Even if you are going to do it all voting in the poll will confirm a larger sampling and indicate pressure on the resource more than not voting.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 01-22-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Who, knows.. Me and crash might be living at the west pole soon.. climate change is definately a factor, but it's such a long process, I doubt it'll happen in our lifetime. Govt regulations are far more of a concern for myself, which is why I plan on going deep-woods if things get that bad. I understand that in AK your resources and growing season are already very limited, but here in the south it is a much different story. Pollution is a bigger concern to me than fishing regulations. I have absolutely no concern for "feeding the masses". Should we reach that point, I will still do everything I can to keep living.. including everything on that list that is feasible. Should the south suddenly become Alaska.. I'm moving someplace warmer! That is no place for warm-blooded rednecks like myself!!

I think it depends on circumstances and time of year. I don't see any of those things happening, just my opinion, with the exception of a possible climate change. We have an awful lot of land sitting idle in the land bank. Tens of thousands of acres that would be put back in farming if the demand and price were strong enough. You also have to calculate in the advances science makes in food production as well as packaging to extend the life of processed foods and the near term doesn't look quite so bleak to me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I put most confidence in all of the above. They're what I use now and I don't see that changing regardless of the situation, save breaking my neck or dying.

Alaska Is ground Zero for climate change so I am seeing more of the changes. I am not a finatic about it or believe any side of the issue because I have caught both sides in enough lies I don't know what to believe but I have seen some big changes over my life and especially in the last 3 years. I would think being closer to Mexico illegal imigration would be factor down south and I keep hearing about droughts in the news.

If the majority had to make due for themselves over an extended period of time I think hunting and foraging would be out of the question. That resource would be depleted almost immediately for many folks.

I'm putting food storage store bought and home canned at the top of the list. I will be relying on all of the choices. Any surplus from hunting, fishing, foraging, and gardening will require food storage.

Like Clay mentioned, our local natural resources by hunting and fishing could be depleted quickly. A lot of hunters around here.

Foraging plants is seasonal as is gardening. There are a few who know wild edibles so that resource may last longer until folks catch on.

Gardening will be a challenge to keep your harvest, your harvest. We started a community garden last year. Three people participated, and the community helped themselves.

Not quite rural enough I guess.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think this is a good question, and could be useful information. I am surprised at the evasiveness and reluctance to just give a straight answer.

For me I have about six months food for ONE person, and I will kill to protect it.

As the food runs out, I would hunt more. And fish in the summers.

The ugly truth is after about one year, I would kill myself. I have had a wonderful life.

Most certainly food storage. None of the other options will do you any good without it in a long term survival situation.
    I also think it depends on your skill. I can't hunt very well so if I had to rely on it I would certainly suffer.

I don't think it is reluctence as much as redundent. The poll reflects our choices. In my case I voted for fishing because I can catch more fish in a day than I can eat in a year. Gardening and again because of the sheer volume of food I can produce and my food stores because I have a ton of it.

Interesting question. I guess it would really depend on what the situation was and how long it lasts.
    I've had the same experiences with community gardening that Karl has had. And unless something quickly drops the population down, I doubt even in rural areas that people who live on a lake are going to share their fish and anyone out hunting may be viewed as competition by someone else who is hungrier. I sincerely doubt that a crisis would bring out the best in people. Look at the looters and thugs shooting at assistance workers after Katrina. Incidents like that leave no doubt in my mind what will happen "if".

I'd have to rely on hunting and fishing myself. I don't have the facility to mass an adequate food storage, not in my current living situation, and not without ridicule from the relatives I live with who think the Government will provide for them. I have the means to grow a garden but keeping it from the roving hungry could be an issue.

If food storage means putting up what can be gathered in whatever fashion, that would have to be my vote.

What I rely on now is food storage and gardening. I do some fishing, but mostly for enjoyment. If things "got worse" I would fish a lot more, hunt some, but more probably - and not on the list is raise animals for food.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My first choice, long term is gardening.

Secondary and at least important is raising livedstock
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Raising live stock could fall into gardening, growing your own food more or less.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    ... I would think being closer to Mexico illegal imigration would be factor down south and I keep hearing about droughts in the news.
    If it weren't for the illegal mexicans that come here you wouldn't have corn, tomatoes, or many of the other hand-picked vegetables that you buy at the supermarket. And that's right now.
    I never see a white boy out in the corn field.
    Never see a black man out picking weed from the cotton rows.

If it weren't for illegal immigration you can bet your sweet a**.... bottom dollar food prices would already be sky high.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    If it weren't for the illegal mexicans that come here you wouldn't have corn, tomatoes, or many of the other hand-picked vegetables that you buy at the supermarket. And that's right now.
    I never see a white boy out in the corn field.
    Never see a black man out picking weed from the cotton rows.

If it weren't for illegal immigration you can bet your sweet a**.... bottom dollar food prices would already be sky high.
    I was thinking more in terms of global disaster that may have hoards of Mexicans coming over the border escaping what is bound to be a worse situation in Mexico.