Thread: Camelbak Backpaks which one to choose

Default Camelbak Backpaks which one to choose

I am looking for information on "CamelPak Backpacks" I do not want to spend a fortune i just want something that will carry some gear and allow me to pack the water in a hydration bladder on my day hikes and outings. I have never purchased a backpack before so i am a novice any advice on types, models, brands and price is greatly appreciated. Thank You
    A Government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away when it wants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Neither your Liberty, your money, nor your property are safe while Congress is in Session.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don't want to spend a fortune, don't buy a camelbak. I could have bought two of the molle 3day assault packs (military surplus outlet) for the price of one camelbak (fancy retail store). I got a red-head bladder that fits perfectly, and all the attachment points on the outside for molle expansions leave lots of room inside for extra gear.

comparing the materials in-hand, the molle was much thicker and felt tougher than the camelbak. My mom bought one of the camels just for day hikes with me, taking pictures and identifying wildflowers. Only a few of her books would fit and almost NO equipment, other than compact items like compass and stuff.

All that being said, this is the first pack I've bought. I usually recycle the kids old school backpacks and just deal with it. Mom's camelback was $85 (plus cost of bladder) and my assault pack was <$40 (plus cost of attachments and bladder).

Hope that helps.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

If there are any military surplus stores near you then try some Alice and Molle packs on. You can usually get them for cheap. As YCC said, they are rugged and have tons of attachments for endless configurations. Plus there are all kinds of mods available for both.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Try Ebay

I have several Camelbaks, Got all of them on Ebay for a fraction of the store price. My favorites are the Mule/Hawg models for a small pack, and I have 2 Delta 5 tactical vests, which are MOLLE vests with a hydration system. For a large pack the BFM model is great

You can take any backpack and put a bladder in it. Get a pack that fits your body and budget and put a bladder in it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    If you don't want to spend a fortune, don't buy a camelbak. I could have bought two of the molle 3day assault packs (military surplus outlet) for the price of one camelbak (fancy retail store). I got a red-head bladder that fits perfectly, and all the attachment points on the outside for molle expansions leave lots of room inside for extra gear.

comparing the materials in-hand, the molle was much thicker and felt tougher than the camelbak. My mom bought one of the camels just for day hikes with me, taking pictures and identifying wildflowers. Only a few of her books would fit and almost NO equipment, other than compact items like compass and stuff.

All that being said, this is the first pack I've bought. I usually recycle the kids old school backpacks and just deal with it. Mom's camelback was $85 (plus cost of bladder) and my assault pack was <$40 (plus cost of attachments and bladder).

Hope that helps.
    I may be mistaken but I thought all camelbaks came with a bladder! At least every one i've purchased did.
    I know what hunts you.

Look for the one with Jack Daniels.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I may be mistaken but I thought all camelbaks came with a bladder! At least every one i've purchased did.
    hmmm.... that makes me wonder about the store where she bought it then.. none of the ones they had on the shelf had bladders.
    I won't list the store name till I find out more, but that kinda ticks me off.

Wow wide variety of recommendations here, and yet you left out a key piece of evidence - what will you be doing with it? Nothing about old school - but even the military is now using Camelbak and they too are showing up at the Army Surplus. Camelbak is great on hydration and skimpy on room in their design. compress a sandwich and a poncho and your ten essentials and that's all thats all you will have room for. They are mostly designed for a days outing. The Hiking Community has gotten away (completely) with heavy over engineered packs as Ultra light has taken over. Reducing backpacking to under 10 and 20 lbs - with water and food. What this means is greater distance - less fatigue. Camelbak also has lots of competition. And a Pack of any size today should be under three pounds when deciding what you are doing with what we call the big four, tent, pack, stove, sleep bag.

Here are some examples
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat...16%3ABackpacks
    If you have more money and would like ample room with less weight look at these
    http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks.html
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I cannot find a camelbak that is comfortable. I tried on a few at the store, and packed them while I was there, and they all felt wrong on me. (5' and 105 pds) They don't make good packs for women my size that I can find. The one I tried on, and was comfortable was Osprey and it is like $200. What do you guys wives/girlfriends use?

Blog Entries

my wife uses mine.. on my back LOL!

I have the Rimrunner pack. I use it for day hiking in Colorado.
    Came with a 3L bladder, which I like because I drink a lot of water when I am out.
    It hold mostly everything I need, it tends to get a little tight when I need to put my jacket in it. It fits and carries very well.
    Flatlander

Blog Entries

Mom's backpack did come with a bladder, they just don't keep them in the packs on the shelf.
    sorry for the confusion!