Thread: $5 Swiss Army Knife

Default $5 Swiss Army Knife

Recently I went to a local Pawn Shop, and as usual browsing through the camping, guns, and knives stuff. I noticed a small basket of knives that were all cheaply priced. One was a Swiss Army Knife priced $10. It had the corkscrew totally messed up and the point of the main blade had been broken off. Otherwise it was in pretty good shape. I took it to the Register and pulled my $10 out to pay for it, The lady took my money and handed me back $4 and change! I asked if she made a mistake. She asked if I got it out of the basket on the top of the counter, I said yes. She then told me that those were 1/2 price! So the Missus goes back and gets a VERY Small SAK Gentlmen's Knock off with wooden scales for $4(Also half price so it was $2)!

Anyway I stopped in the shop today to fix the Broken tip and here are the pics of my $5 SAK. So Cold in the shop, that for the first 4 passes my blade didn't even get warm!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

AND The Missus' little "Fingernail" knife....

Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Good score.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hard to beat a bargain even with a stick. Nice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice finds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Does that have a lock on it for the main blade? It looks just like the one I sent to RWC!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Does that have a lock on it for the main blade? It looks just like the one I sent to RWC!
    Yes it Does Sarge. I couldn't believe how cheap I got it, even considering the damage.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

You know that Victorinox has a life time guarntee on their knives. Just send it in and they will repair it and send it back.
    I know what hunts you.

You may be right and it would certainly be worth checking on but I think it's defective workmanship and materials. I'd still check with them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had the scales come loose on my swiss champ and the lock loosen up on my hunter. They fixed them no questions asked.
    I know what hunts you.

Great score, congrats, I usually check out the cases at gun shows, and find a LOT of knock offs, priced high.

Sometimes I wonder if the vender's do that on purpose to see who the suckers are.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I love checking out the cheep knife baskets at pawn shops. I've found some great deals there. Congrats Poco.
    Chari

"The past gives us experience and memories; the present gives us challenges and opportunities; the future gives us vision and hope."

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by charibelle18 View Post
    I love checking out the cheep knife baskets at pawn shops. I've found some great deals there. Congrats Poco.
    Thanks! I've bought 4 SAK's from this particular Pawn Shop. However this was less than half the price of the others I've bought before.

Good find Poco. I am sure you will get alot more than $5 use out of this one.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

Blog Entries

I love SAKs, Nice find!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Banned

I love hearing about people getting good deals. I like getting them myself even more.
    I'll tell you one I got last week. Six inch fixed blade kitchen knife stainless steel thin blade kitchen knife. 25 cents at Good Will. I brought it home and it took a razor sharp edge fairly quickly. It's thick enough to make feather sticks and shavings but thin enough to fillet fish.
    I also got a Chicago Cutlery Santoku kitchen knife for 99 cents at the same time.

Sarky - My only reference was Poco's statement that the corkscrew was mangled and the fact that he re-worked the main blade. They might frown on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sarky - My only reference was Poco's statement that the corkscrew was mangled and the fact that he re-worked the main blade. They might frown on that.
    Ahh It's OK. I'm not going to send it in anyways. I think it will do well just as it is. In all my life I think I have used a SAK Corkscrew once, then just to see how it did. The Blade tip was broken off and I made as good a "Repair" as I could without grinding into the nail catch slot thing-a-ma-bob. So I have a SAK with a "Sheep's foot" blade point instead of the spear point they come with. No big deal it will still cut. I mean really, for a $5 SAK, who can complain? Anytime you get a brand name anything for a cheap price, you KNOW Something is wrong.