Thread: Fallen Hero

Default Fallen Hero

COL Bill Foley was my mentor and professional Godfather during our Army years. He was responsible for my being selected for some choice jobs including when I retired. He never mentioned his actions to help me and I found out from others. I owe him such a debt that I could never repay; other than trying to live up to his example and expectations (an impossibility) RIP My Friend!

You old airborne guys may have known him.

Colonel William R. (Bill) Foley, U.S. Army (Retired) passed away on Thursday, January 6, 2011, at the age of 82.

Bill Foley was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut and enlisted in the Army in 1945. He participated in World War II, the Korean War, Lebanon Operations in 1958, the Vietnam War, Desert One (Iranian Hostage Rescue 1980), and Grenada Operations 1983. Bill retired as a Regular Army Colonel in 1984, after 39 years of service. His career was primarily in Airborne units, with his last assignment being as President of the U.S. Army Airborne Board and Commander of Joint Special Operations Airdrop Elements. COL Foley spent 22 years of his service overseas, earning combat decorations and medals. He was a graduate from the University of Omaha and the Naval Post-Graduate School.

After retiring from the Army, Bill served in various Defense-related consultant positions and partnerships. He also served on the Board of Directors for South-Tek International, Inc. and Zodiac (North America Operations). He retired again as a consultant with Boeing in 2004.

Bill married Beverly Homan in Connecticut in 1952 and had three children, four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Bill and Beverly moved to Williamsburg in 1992 and resided at the Oaks on South Henry Street for 15 years, before moving to Chambrel Retirement Community in 2007 and finally Morningside Assisted Living in 2009. He and his wife were members of Williamsburg United Methodist Church.

Bill was preceded in death by his wife Beverly, his daughter Buffy Foley, and his parents.
    He is survived by his sons Kenneth and Richard Foley; grandsons Shaun Foley, Richard Foley Jr., and Jason Caprio; granddaughter Lindsay Foley; and great-grandson Jackson Foley.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

My condolences OGI. He sounds like he'll be sorely missed
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

My condolences, May he RIP......
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Blue skies and soft landings. RIP Airborne.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

May he Rest in Peace
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

RIP Col. Foley.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Condolences, Old GI. May your friend rest in peace.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.