Thread: Cleavers. Show what you got.

Default Cleavers. Show what you got.

Not to detract from Chris's thread, I figured that I would start another one.

First one is a Cleaver my Father gave me. They were using it in the brick yard to split kindling to start the kilns, had had been for as long as he could remember. When he shut the yard down, he gave it to me.

8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper is for size reference.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

In a wooden cover that Dad made for it.

This is one I picked-up from a back alley blacksmith while I was in Korea. I use this knife almost every day, and it is the one that travels from my work trailer to home ever week so I have it to use.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Those are wild! I posted mine in Chris' thread but I'll copy/paste them here. This was my G grandfathers and has been working for 100 years (plus or minus)to put meat on our family's tables.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

A couple of small Old Hickories (no pics) and that small rusty one that I posted in the other thread. I've been keeping my eye out at flea markets and yard sales - no joy yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I have a cheap wal mart one and have one that I want to make out of 1095 in the near future.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Aflineman

I really like the design of the knife in the 2nd pic. I can see how that would be very useful in the kitchen.

Does this one count?

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    Aflineman

I really like the design of the knife in the 2nd pic. I can see how that would be very useful in the kitchen.
    When I saw it, i just knew it would be handy. I am still kicking myself for not buying more. He had two on his bench, and would have custom made me more at a great price. Oh well, if I ever wear this one out (which I doubt) I will just have to try my hand at making another one.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Somewhere in Korea a knife maker's wife is saying.

"You sell 'nother wan to G.I.?! They so dumb."
    "Yeah, I need call China and order more."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Somewhere in Korea a knife maker's wife is saying.

"You sell 'nother wan to G.I.?! They so dumb."
    "Yeah, I need call China and order more."
    Maybe the steel, but I watched him make the blank for this one, and then rough it out and sharpen it.
    Nice thing about being there over a year and doing a lot of walking around the local area. Got to meet a number of good people and see/find some things that most GI never do. I worked with Korean Nationals on a daily basis, and still get letters, emails, and phone calls a few times each year. Stopped by this guys shop many a time. Good work making many things from scrap. My Korean is not the best, but my friend and coworker Mr.Yi would help translate as he and Mr. Shin (the Blacksmith) were old friends. Plus, even if it was a China made. For $5 I have got plenty of use out of it.
    Last edited by aflineman; 01-17-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Okay. See? That right there was a joke. It had a punch line and everything. (thumbing through "How to Tell a Joke" book).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Okay. See? That right there was a joke. It had a punch line and everything. (thumbing through "How to Tell a Joke" book).
    I saw that it was. From rereading my post I looks like I did not take it that way. Sorry 'bout that.

Hehe, picked this up for 12 bucks at a chinese grocery store years ago. I've used it for everything, now I use it as a everything knife while camping. Great for batoning thru a peice of wood

does this one count?

it's sort of a combination slicer and chopper, but i took down a few good sized hardwood saplings with it. anything that'll go through a 1.5" privet trunk in a swipe is a cleaver in my book.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.